Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 27755 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #570 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
I say "droars" too but I don't use the phrase "chest of drawers".  I call it a dresser.  Is there a difference between a dresser and a chest of drawers?

Subcategory.  A dresser is a type of chest of drawers... specifically, one with a large attached mirror that one can get dressed (and check their appearance) at.

/so sayeth Wikipedia!

Ooooh no! That's a dressing table, not a dresser. A dresser is a tall thing with cupboards up to about waist height, and then a flat surface and above that either shelves or shallower cupboards. It lives in the kitchen or dining room and you keep crockery in it!

See, what you're describing I would call a hutch.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Goosey

« Reply #571 on: October 15, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
Hey, nobody said we had to be logical in the things we dislike!
No, but it's probably not wise to refer to people who do use the things you dislike as "lazy"

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #572 on: October 16, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
Xmas is a very old way of writing Christmas.

See this snopes page: http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

ITA. It is not disrespectful at all; it's been around for a long time.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #573 on: October 16, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »
I say "droars" too but I don't use the phrase "chest of drawers".  I call it a dresser.  Is there a difference between a dresser and a chest of drawers?

Subcategory.  A dresser is a type of chest of drawers... specifically, one with a large attached mirror that one can get dressed (and check their appearance) at.

/so sayeth Wikipedia!

I grew up saying "dresser" for every piece of bedroom furniture that had drawers. When I met my MIL, I heard "chest of drawers" for the first time. It seemed like a very long term to describe a piece of furniture!  :) I still call them dressers.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #574 on: October 16, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »

/so sayeth Wikipedia!

Ooooh no! That's a dressing table, not a dresser. A dresser is a tall thing with cupboards up to about waist height, and then a flat surface and above that either shelves or shallower cupboards. It lives in the kitchen or dining room and you keep crockery in it!

See, what you're describing I would call a hutch.

I agree - it's a hutch, a banquet, or a buffet.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #575 on: October 16, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
Hutches have rabbits inside, not plates.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #576 on: October 16, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »
Hutches have rabbits inside, not plates.

Or books, as in the case of my desktop hutch.  (Although to be fair, you could have books about rabbits...)

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #577 on: October 16, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »
Download.

We are not computers. You do not download me on things. You can tell me, inform me, let me know, advise me, meet with me, call me, email me, explain to me...anything except say you're going to download me.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #578 on: October 16, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »
Download.

We are not computers. You do not download me on things. You can tell me, inform me, let me know, advise me, meet with me, call me, email me, explain to me...anything except say you're going to download me.

Welllll...

The human brain *is* the most complex computer imaginable.  But I get what you mean. :)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #579 on: October 16, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
You work here. You should know.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #580 on: October 16, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »
Download.

Welllll...

The human brain *is* the most complex computer imaginable.  But I get what you mean. :)

And the day that they figure out how to splice our wetware into hardware and I can actually stick a USB into my head, I'll accept download as a term.  ;D

I will also keep a stockpile of ZFrank True Facts videos in my brain for when I'm having a hard day. And cat vines. So many cat vines.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine