News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 06, 2016, 02:56:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things you thought were gross but weren't  (Read 2871 times)

Dr. F.

Things you thought were gross but weren't
« on: November 29, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
{a mash-up of two threads}

So, I've been trying to write a final exam and bake christmas cookies at the same, and failing pretty badly at both. This culminated in a quick run to the grocery for some baking soda.

Needless to say, I've been running around like the proverbial headless chicken all day.

I stopped into the bathroom. I looked down on my shoe and saw a bright green worm. Immediately, I freaked. CRUD MONKEYS!, so disgusting! Where did I pick that up! Yikes! I have a serious worm-phobia.

I spent what seemed like 5 minutes freaking out about the worm on my foot.

And then I realized it was a blob of green icing from the christmas cookies. <sigh>

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
Re: Things you thought were gross but weren't
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
Oh heavens, regularly, I'll get a cat hair tumble weed brushing against me and think it's a spider or some other creepy crawly and leap out of my skin before realizing that it is, in fact, a cat hair tumble weed.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
Dried leaves on the carpet look remarkably like cat poo from the right angle. (Unfortunately, cat poo can also look remarkably like dried leaves...)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Ser Lucien Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »
Dried leaves on the carpet look remarkably like cat poo from the right angle. (Unfortunately, cat poo can also look remarkably like dried leaves...)

Or cat barf, as a member of this household realized early one morning while stooping to pick up a dead leaf from the hibiscus tree. (It wasn't a leaf.)

As for thought-was-gross, I had a little wad of fluffy fur on my pillow. I did not realize this little wad of fluffy fur was there. I may have done an interesting supine heebie-jeebie dance before realizing it was not, in fact, a bug I had just laid on.
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

Reika

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
I have no issues with spiders or most insect/arachnid type multilegged crawlies. I do however, have issues with roaches. Palmetto bugs are the stuff of nightmares for me. So one day I wigged out over what I thought was a truly enormous palmetto bug.

Then I realized that it wasn't moving.

It was in fact a dead leaf.

I was so very grateful there was no one else around to see how I freaked out.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
I have totally freaked over cat toys being left on my pillow.  I have cats that give presents. It's not unreasonable for my half awake mind to think there is a dead mouse on my pillow when I first open my eyes.  The cats find it amusing. I don't buy those life like looking mice toys anymore.

I've woken up to some disgusting cat presents over the years, so a dead mouse is not a stretch.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
I have totally freaked over cat toys being left on my pillow.  I have cats that give presents. It's not unreasonable for my half awake mind to think there is a dead mouse on my pillow when I first open my eyes.  The cats find it amusing. I don't buy those life like looking mice toys anymore.

I've woken up to some disgusting cat presents over the years, so a dead mouse is not a stretch.

Having woken up to a still-slightly-living disgusting cat present, I also do not buy the realistic mouse toys anymore.

I tend to think things that are unexpectedly cold when I touch them are actually wet things.  Needless to say, the aforementioned cats, and the dog, make things that are unexpectedly wet very suspect. 

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »
I have a lot of dexterity in my toes.  I tend to use them to pick things up when I'm at home.

I was once cat sitting.  While on the phone, I saw a toy mouse on the floor.  I idly used my toes to pick it up.

And then I realized it wasn't a toy. 

I'm not easily grossed out, but that did it for me at that moment.  :P

AnnaJ

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 06:01:03 PM »

Having woken up to a still-slightly-living disgusting cat present, I also do not buy the realistic mouse toys anymore.

I tend to think things that are unexpectedly cold when I touch them are actually wet things.  Needless to say, the aforementioned cats, and the dog, make things that are unexpectedly wet very suspect.

I buy very colorful mice, mostly to keep visitors from freaking out - this current group of cats has never brought home a real one, so I don't worry about it myself but hate to upset guests  >:D

whatsanenigma

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »
More than once, I have freaked out a little and jumped back when in semi-darkness I see what I think at first is a hairball on the floor but turns out to be a crunched-up knee high stocking.

(Still the cat's fault, though-she likes to pull those things out of the laundry basket.  :) )

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »
When my brother and I were kids, he played a little prank on me.  He thought it would be funny to put 'worms' in my bed so that I would freak out at bedtime.  I don't have a worm phobia, but you don't expect to find them in your bed, so of course I jumped and went "Aaah!"

They were realistic-looking rubber fishing worms.  It actually turned out to be pretty funny.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
Once when I was in the shower I saw this dark thing on the bathtub bottom.  Since I wasn't wearing my glasses I couldn't tell what it was, and if it was an insect it was large.  I yelled for Mr. Sirius, and he came into the bathroom, looked at the "bug", and told me, "It's a piece of dead leaf."  He then left the bathroom, laughing.