Author Topic: My Spot In E-Hell  (Read 3332 times)

StoutGirl

My Spot In E-Hell
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
Hi Everyone, no question or advice, but I would love to share a story about wedding attire.

Unfortunately, the person in the wrong was me, and I am certain that there is a nice toasty spot in E-Hell for me.

About 9 years ago, a cousin of mine was getting married.  I was very excited, but as a teenager (I was 14 at the time), I did not know any better about a lot of things.  At this time, I had a few years of sewing under my belt and had made a dress that I had worn for homecoming.  It was dark purple, strapless, and had an open back.  I also had not learned how to keep my bragging in check when it came to my talent.

I think I was a little disappointed that my cousin (who was about 20) did not ask me to be a bridesmaid.  Part of it was that I thought that we were closer than what we actually were (nowadays, we are not close at all because we have nothing in common other than shared blood), and the other part was that she had a cousin on her other side of the family that was a year older than me that was asked.  Despite my slight disappointment, I did not say anything and pretty much got over it.

I ended up finding out that her bridesmaids' dress color was a dark wine color.  I thought, "perfect!  I have a dress (the one mentioned above) and I will practically match!"  I wasn't trying to be a bridesmaid wannabe, but I also did not know that it wasn't appropriate to try to match the color theme.

And it gets worse.  The wedding was in January in Wisconsin, and my dress had an open back.  I loved the open back.  I refused to wear a cardigan, even after my Mom bought one and asked me to wear it.  So I probably looked a little sleazy.  Miraculously, I was not cold.

And finally, I would not stop bragging about me making that dress to my relatives that had not seen it.

I really cringe at my behavior back then and I can assure all of you that I have grown up since then.  I outgrew the dress and when my sister tried it on once, she could not get it off, and it broke my heart a little to cut it off.  The fabric was saved and has since been used in a few craft projects.  I hardly ever mention my talent when I am wearing an item that I made.  Even though no one in my family ever mentioned my deplorable behavior, E-Hell has taught me a lot in the last few years and I can only hope for forgiveness.  Fell free to laugh and condemn away!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: My Spot In E-Hell
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »
Believe me, I look back on stuff I did when I was 14 and cringe! Sometimes I wonder why my mom didn't try to stop me. She might have known that saying something would only make my attitude worse. Or maybe she was hoping that seeing the consequences of my actions would teach me the lesson better. However, sometimes it was stuff where I didn't see the consequences right away, and it was only years later, looking back, that I realized how hurtful or ridiculous I had been.  :P
~Lynn2000

Runningstar

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:37:32 AM »
StoutGirl, that might become a funny story to you someday - 14 is so young.  I think that being disappointed over not being in the wedding is a natural emotion and at 14 you handled it in your own way. 

gellchom

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:57:17 PM »
I don't think you were so bad.  Te absolvo!

Good that you've learned not to brag, but I also don't see anything wrong with telling Grandpa and Aunt Sally, "Thanks!  I made it myself!  Yes, really!"

Well, of course 14-year-old you were disappointed that you weren't a bridesmaid, when another cousin was.  But you didn't make a stink about it, right?  That's all that matters; you are entitled to your feelings.

As for wearing a dress similar in color to the attendants' dresses, while it would be obnoxious to go out and buy (or sew) one with that intention, I don't think there's a thing wrong with showing up in a dress that's a similar color, and certainly no imperative to go out and buy a different one if the one you have is otherwise appropriate.  It wasn't even the same color anyway -- purple is not wine.  Usually I have no idea what the wedding colors are, and I have ended up in the same color of as the attendants.  I see it a lot -- a color that is popular that year for attendants is usually a popular color for party dresses, too.  So what?  There is no extension of not wearing white like the bride to not wearing _____ like the attendants.

If that's the most cringeworthy memory you have, I envy you!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:25:22 PM by gellchom »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »
Believe me, I look back on stuff I did when I was 14 and cringe!

I think that's part of what being 14 is for, actually.

magicdomino

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »
I can think of a few incidents when I was a teenager.  :-[   As a person who is living in a pretty big greenhouse, I will throw no stones.  I suppose it is better to be bothered by such incidents years later, than to breeze through life not caring.  This way you at least remember what not to do. 

Lula

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
It's not rude to brag if you're telling the truth!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
We attended a wedding a few weeks ago and I ended up matching the bridesmaids and maid of honor, but we had no way of knowing the colors before we arrived.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
I look back on when I was 14, and I wonder how I made it to 55.