Author Topic: I was all ready to use this phrase...  (Read 959 times)

mime

I was all ready to use this phrase...
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
I attended a baptism for my great-niece recently, and could sense a little trouble brewing...

BG:
The importance people place on baptism varies widely, ranging from "absolutely vital for the sake of one's eternity", to "purely symbolic tradition". The relatives in my IL's family range from one end of the spectrum to the other.

It has been a difficult topic as my FIL/MIL believe it needs to happen within the first few weeks of life because it is so very crucial. DH and I are of the belief that it needs to happen when the individual chooses it, so he/she must be old enough to understand the ritual. This means my kids are not-yet baptized, and we have some extended family that is very concerned about this, naturally, because they are reacting within the parameters of their own beliefs.
end BG.

After the baptism, I overheard bits and pieces of a woman talking to DH. I overheard things like "this isn't something that can wait", "you don't know when it will be too late", etc. She was holding his hands, and he was listening to her with a very kind and attentive look about him.

I thought "ugh. Someone is insisting that we get our kids baptized right now. I'm going to have to defend myself, but I don't want to offend her. What would ehell do?" So I straightened up my spine. I decided I'd thank her for taking an interest. I didn't need to make any kind of commitment to her, after all. I would just take her words as well-intended but misguided and keep the conversation as short as I possibly could.

Then, when she approached me, I realized who she was. She was a friend of the family, also an in-law of some of my in-laws. Her daughter died in a freak accident at the age of 10. She was actually telling my husband (and now was telling me) to make sure we get multi-generation pictures of our kids/parents/grandparents while everyone was still around. Her own pictures of her with her mom and her daughter were so precious to her, she wanted others to have that too.

So, my shiny spine melted. But I didn't need it anyway. We chatted a bit, and a couple days later I made sure to get a picture of my daughter, me, my mom, and my mom's 93-year-old mom together.

But thank you to ehell-- I was prepared to behave well in the face of what I thought was going to be a patience-trying moment!

Mergatroyd

Re: I was all ready to use this phrase...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »
I'm glad the phrase was unnecessary, and multi generation pictures are the bomb!

On the other matter, the church my Mother's family belonged to doled out 'blessings' for babies, to hold them over until they were old enough (10-13 or so I think) to chose to be baptised into the church. The blessing is like a baptism but without the water so far as I know, I've seen the pictures but obviously don't remember it. It's the middle ground :)