Author Topic: Easy vegan recipes?  (Read 475 times)

Bottlecaps

Easy vegan recipes?
« on: June 27, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
I'm familiar with vegetarian cooking, as I was a vegetarian as a teenager and I still eat vegetarian meals from time to time. However, I'm lost when it comes to cooking vegan dishes. I got definite confirmation today that one of my friends who is vegan is definitely coming to the wedding, so I want to make sure there are at least a few things among the food that she can eat. Maybe a couple of vegan appetizers, a couple of vegan casseroles/other main dishes, and a vegan dessert. (Our cake will not be vegan, but I want there to be something for her to munch on, something that could work as an alternative to cake also for anyone else who doesn't particularly care for cake.)

Anyone care to share some of their favorite vegan dishes? :) Thanks in advance! :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Cherry91

Re: Easy vegan recipes?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
There's vegan substitutes for darn near everything, so it's possible that instead of seeing about doing an entirely different dish, you could see if it's possible to substitute the non vegan friendly ingredients with vegan replacements? Obviously anything with meat or fish as a main thing is out.

My housemate was vegan and made the best vegan red velvet cupcakes - I was actually seriously impressed at how little difference they tasted to regular cupcakes.

Vegan hummus could be a good appetiser with some nice bread and olive oil.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »
Are you cooking it yourselves or having it catered? If you have a caterer, why not ask them for ideas? And what else are you serving?

Generally for vegan meals i look at basic ethnic foods - you usually can find a few ideas such as:

Stuffed artichokes with ground nut filling in lemony sauce
Couscous with vegetable and chickpeas stew
Vegan patties ( nuts or beans)
Stuffed mushrooms
Pasta with vegan sauce
Lasagna with vegetables
Samosas
Vegan curry over rice
Thai eggplant curry ( just make sure to use a vegan fish sauce substitute)

For dessert you can substitute coconut milk for milk/cream in many recipes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

mandycorn

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »
My favorite way to cook vegan (or vegetarian for that matter) is to find things that are naturally vegan. So for a dessert, I'd do something like a granita (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fresh-Strawberry-Granita-232106) served in fancy glasses.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »
^ I agree. I was vegan for a while, and I'd much rather eat something that's its own thing, rather than an imitation of something else.

Asian food, espcially Indian, is a natural for this.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
A pasta with a vegetable based sauce and no cheese is very simple and tasty for all.

Black bean salad. Black beans with a lime juice and olive oil vinaigrette, fresh tomatoes, avocado and cilantro. Season to taste.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:13:01 AM »
As said before, I'd really avoid meat substitutes and look for foods which are widely popular which just happen to be vegan.  A few ideas:

Tapenade. 

A baked potato bar is something that can work for everyone if you are using a buffet.

Guacamole and chips (which was one of the appetizers at my own wedding).

Hummus, as mentioned before by others.

Dolmas.

Asparagus spears. 

I made the most delicious dessert the other day, strawberries marinated in champagne served with ice cream.  They would have been amazing just on their own (or with a sorbet).

Sorbets are very easy to make and delicious.  I've made a zinfandel sorbet and a bittersweet chocolate sorbet before, both with very few ingredients but very high end tasting (both from famous chef Hubert Keller recipes). 

http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Tini

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:44:32 AM »
Chickpea flour is fantastic for making all sorts of vegan treats. Stirred up with some water and spices (turmeric, coriander, chili, salt, pepper are my favourites) it can be turned into pancakes, mixed with sliced vegetables you can make fantastic veggie burgers (batter needs to be slightly thicker for that), you can make quiche-like things... well worth experimenting with.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
A very popular vegan cookbook author/personality is Isa Chandra Moskowitz ("the post punk kitchen").  I have one of her cookbooks and find her recipes to be very easy and straightforward.  Here's a link:  http://www.theppk.com/recipes/

Here's an adorable looking appetizer from that site that might be fun for the wedding:  http://www.theppk.com/2013/03/devilish-potatoes/

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
And a few more thoughts:

pierogis, spring rolls, potato pancakes.  These are pretty universally beloved foods (just keep the sour cream off to the side with potato pancakes or pierogis). 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
And a few more thoughts:

pierogis, spring rolls, potato pancakes.  These are pretty universally beloved foods (just keep the sour cream off to the side with potato pancakes or pierogis).

You have to be a bit careful with recipes with these - many recipes for  pierogi dough use eggs (and sometimes sour cream),  and potato pancakes often use eggs as a binder, to help them stick together while frying. So be sure to make it from scratch, or to be very careful about ingredient lists if buying them.