Author Topic: Pasta Salad  (Read 1033 times)

Stanwyck

Pasta Salad
« on: August 29, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »
I have to make pasta salad for a shower I'm "co-hosting". Since I don't like cold pasta I'm stumped.  I'd like to make something that doesn't involve a bottle of Italian dressing and sliced black olives.

Thanks in advance.

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Pasta Salad
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:27:09 PM »
ha ha i was just about to suggest a pasta salad with olives....

honestly - you can just about do whatever you want with a pasta salad. use a good pasta - the kind that holds its shape (where i live, barilla is the best kind, but maybe in the US you have other options). pour the salad dressing over the pasta while it's still warm. use homemade italian or greek style dressing. then you are free to add whatever you want:

I've made pasta salad with:
*tuna and vegetables (yes, and olives....) - cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, peppers...
*cubed hard cheese and veg - steamed brocolli, shredded carrots, cherry tomato, steamed squash
* greek style: with cubed feta cheese, tomato, cucumbers, black olives
*far eastern style: with peanut butter sauce

here are a few that i've made successfully:
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/salad/pasta_salads/orzosaladsesame01.html

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/salad/pasta_salads/pastasaladgreek01.html

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/salad/pasta_salads/pastasaladpnutsauce01.html

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/salad/pasta_salads/pennesaladgreek01.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:27:48 PM »
I make a pasta salad that has
1pkg 1 lb cooked Garden pasta
1 can halved black olives
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
Miracle Whip to mix (about a teaspoon)
Lawry's seasoning salt to taste.

Its served cold, but it can be eaten hot. It does involve olives, but not the dressing ;)

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:43:53 PM »
My mom makes a great pasta salad that can be served warm or cold

Bow tie pasta
Chopped chicken (precooked)
Tomatoes
FRESH Basil
Fresh Parmesan cheese - sprinkled on top
Olive Oil

If you are going to serve it warm make sure you put some olive oil in the pot to keep the pasta from sticking together, otherwise you can wait until just before serving to put it on because the pasta absorbs the oil. Just dice the tomatoes into whatever size pieces you like, chop the basil and mix in with the pasta.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:46:24 PM by irishone »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 12:50:59 PM »
I make one that's a huge winner every time; I will post the recipe in the Cookbook Project folder if it isn't there already.

Edited to add:  Just placed it there.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:02:00 PM by Venus193 »

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 01:00:26 PM »
Here is a really zesty dressing (since you don't want to use bottled Italian), that we have found to be delicious over chilled pasta, especially tri-color rotini.  Just this over pasta chilled is enough for us:

Reed’s Own Dressing

Ingredients

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, cut up
1 green onion, including some tender tops, cut up
2 fresh parsley sprigs, cut up
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tblsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dijon mustard

Directions

In blender, combine all ingredients. Shake well before serving. Delicious over salad greens, vegetables, or cold pasta!

-------------------------------

Here is a full blown Summer Pasta Salad recipe:

Summer Pasta Salad

Serves 4

Ingredients

Olive Oil - 3 tablespoons
Fresh Basil, chopped - 1/3 cup
Tomatoes, chopped - 2 cups
Sea Salt/Fresh Ground Pepper - to taste
Mozzarella, cubed - 1/2 cup
Prosciutto, torn into bite size pieces - 3 thin slices
Roasted Red Pepper, diced - 2 peppers (see note)
Capers - 1 tablespoon (optional)
Farfalla Pasta - 1/2 pound

Directions

Put stock pot of water on to boil for the pasta. Combine olive oil, basil, tomatoes, salt, and pepper in a bowl and set aside to allow flavors to blend while you prepare remaining ingredients. Once water has reached a rapid boil, add a handful of salt to flavor the water, then add pasta and cook according to packaging directions. (10 - 12 minutes in most cases)

Once Pasta is cooked, drain, and toss with the tomato mixture. Then fold in prosciutto, roasted red pepper, and capers. Allow pasta to cool slightly before adding mozzarella pieces. Garnish with fresh basil and ground pepper to taste.

Notes: You can kick this up by adding a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes but is not necessary if serving with summer bone-in pork chops. Also, Roasted Red Peppers can be found jarred at your grocery store. But if you’re like me and have an overwhelming amount in your garden feel free to follow these instructions for roasting yourself:

Place 2 Red Peppers over open flame/direct high heat either in broiler or on grill for 6 - 8 minutes, turning occasionally. The idea is to blacken the skin of the peppers here so the more burnt looking, the better. Remove from heat source and place in plastic ziplock bag and allow to cool. The steam inside the bag will help loosen the skins. Peel skins and remove seeds… then dice. That simple!

Preparation Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 10 - 15 mins

------------------------------

Now, I LOVE this pasta salad recipe, but it does involve Italian dressing.  But you can subsitute that with the dressing of your choice, or just some olive oil and vinegar:

Spinach & Tortellini Salad

Ingredients

1 (9 ounce) package cheese-filled tortellini

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
(Note from Cristen: Elizabeth used fresh baby spinach when she made this recipe and it was great!)

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved

1 (2 ounce) can sliced black olives

1 (16 ounce) bottle Italian-style salad dressing

Directions

In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until al dente, rinse under cold water and drain.

In a large bowl, combine the tortellini, spinach, cheese, tomatoes and olives. Add enough salad dressing to coat. Toss and season with salt and pepper.

----------------------

Now this last one is from my DH's aunt.  I haven't tried it yet, but it doesn't have black olives or Italian dressing in it!  :)

Deli Macaroni Salad

Ingredients

1 pkg. (16 oz) elbow macaroni
1 1/2 c reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 container (8 oz) lowfat plain yogurt
1/3 c cider vinegar
2 T sugar
2 T prepared mustard
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 large green pepper, chopped (about 1 1/2 c)
2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 1/2 c)
1/2 c sliced radishes
1/2 c sliced scallions
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Cook pasta as directed on the package, drain. Rinse with cold water and drain.

2. Mix mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.

3. Add pasta, vegetables, and parsely; toss.

4. Cover and chill about 1 hour.

Hope that helps!

Cristen

Stanwyck

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 01:20:26 PM »
Thanks for the recipes!  I think I'll make SkylerY's dressing and just add veggies, cheese and maybe some chicken.

Another question.  How much salad should I make? We're inviting 24 people (but I don't know how many will come) and there will be other food to eat, so should I make enough for 18?  How much pasta per person?

Thanks again.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »
Do a chicken caesar salad but substitute the lettuce for pasta.  It's great!

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx