General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Signed the wrong book

(1/2) > >>

Slartibartfast:
This is a weird one, I guess, but it's kinda "work" so I'm putting it here  :P

I'm lucky enough to be acquaintances with an author who has written a fantastic series of young adult books.  We don't live in the same city, but we belong to some of the same writing groups so I see her at least once every few months.  I haven't actually read her books, because they're really not my style, but everyone seems to love them.

She was the guest speaker at a local conference, so I went and had a great time and learned a lot.  After the conference, she was selling and signing books for anyone who was interested.  I told her I wanted to buy the first two in her series and have them signed.  I intended to have them addressed to the students of my daughter's school, but she addressed Book #2 to me (I should have said something faster, but there were other conversations going on at the time and I didn't really get the chance).  And then she was out of Book #1 already, but offered to mail it to me.  I said thanks and gave her my address and what I wanted it to say and figured I'll just donate the first book and I guess it's no biggie  :-\

Got the box in the mail yesterday - Book #2.  Which I'm guessing means she had the right post-it note but didn't pay attention to which book in the series she was signing  ::)  So now I have two copies of Book #2, one signed to the school (how I wanted) and one to me (which I didn't), and none of Book #1.  They were $10 apiece - not a huge chunk of change, but more than I want to just ignore.

I'm figuring my options are these:

1) Pretend it didn't happen

2) Buy a copy of her Book #1 myself, bring it along next time I'm likely to see her, ask her to make it out to the school, then donate the two correctly-dedicated copies and just hang on to the spare #2

3) Email her and point out her mistake and ask if she can sign and send me a book #1, either offering another $10 or assuming she'd cover the cost.

If it were a question of the cost being borne by a bookstore, I'd have no problem assuming she'd give me a free copy of Book #1  :)  I know it would be coming out of her pocket, though, which makes it feel a bit more presumptuous even though it was her mistake.

Advice?

Lynn2000:
Hmm, interesting. So, basically you have one book that is correctly inscribed, and another copy of the same book that is wrongly inscribed. I just think it would be awkward to tell her she made a mistake, and ask her to send you Book #1 correctly inscribed for free. The books have all been personalized, it's not like you could send back one of them and it could be resold, you know? And if you're willing to purchase Book #1 yourself, I think you might as well wait until you see her again, maybe in a less busy setting, and have her inscribe it correctly then.

You could also just donate the correct Book #2, and not purchase any others. In a vacuum it seems odd, but when they shelve it with their other copies of Book #2 (I'm assuming they have multiples, if it's a popular series), it won't stand out in a bad way, I don't think.

Outdoor Girl:
I'd go with option 2, myself.  Because, technically, the book she sent you corrected the mistake made at the signing, even though that wasn't what you asked her to send you.

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on July 02, 2014, 04:45:15 PM ---You could also just donate the correct Book #2, and not purchase any others. In a vacuum it seems odd, but when they shelve it with their other copies of Book #2 (I'm assuming they have multiples, if it's a popular series), it won't stand out in a bad way, I don't think.

--- End quote ---

They don't have either of the books - I know this because I was helping the librarian make her order list earlier this year (she's very nice but has NO library experience, and was grateful for the help!).  She had intended to order the first book, but it accidentally got left off the purchase order and there was no budget for a second round.  I figured I could afford to buy a copy and help out both my friend and the library  :)

sammycat:
I would go with option 2; buying a copy of the book and having her sign it later on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version