Author Topic: can I do anything with leftover steak?  (Read 1012 times)

CakeBeret

Re: can I do anything with leftover steak?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
I like to slice thin, make a hollandaise sauce, and serve on french bread as an open-faced sandwich.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 05:10:26 PM »
too many ideas! i'll have to get more steak.

I sliced thinly, then cut into little bites, then reheated in a lovely mushroom/red wine sauce (*) - came out perfectly.

thanks!
(*) ETA - i had made the sauce the night before to serve with the steak.

Mushroom/red wine sauce???   Ooooh - would you share the recipe?  Pretty please??

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 04:23:29 AM »
too many ideas! i'll have to get more steak.

I sliced thinly, then cut into little bites, then reheated in a lovely mushroom/red wine sauce (*) - came out perfectly.

thanks!
(*) ETA - i had made the sauce the night before to serve with the steak.

Mushroom/red wine sauce???   Ooooh - would you share the recipe?  Pretty please??
It wasn't so much a "recipe" as a "what can i do with these mushrooms and i think i ahve a bottle of merlot somewhere and voila!".

1 onion, chopped ( i presume shallots would have been better)
500 gram button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
one clove garlic, minced
some fresh ginger
salt, pepper
1.5 cups red wine
a little honey

I sauted the onion, added the mushrooms, let them cook out for about 10 minutes, then added the garlic, ginger and wine and honey and let it cooke down a bit. at the end i added a little corn starch mixed with water to thicken but i think it was not necessary. season with salt and pepper.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gellchom

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 08:38:10 AM »
Another idea for next time--

Keep a bag in the freezer for leftover brisket, steak, etc.  Grind it for filling for things like kreplach, meat blintzes, etc. If there's gravy, definitely save that, in small bags, for recycling into future sauces and fillings. That's pure gold in your freezer!

I cannot stand to throw away any kind of meat.  I'm not a vegetarian, but it feels to me like it's one thing to kill animals and eat them, another to kill them and throw them in the garbage.  Just a personal thing.  So I try to use all the leftovers somehow or at least give it to the dog and cat.

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
Thanks, cicero!!!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »
I like to cut it into pieces, mix with sauted mushrooms and onions and then serve over egg noodles.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 08:23:24 PM »

I like making a Thai style steak salad. Sliced steak (medium is best), finely diced onion, fresh squeezed lime juice, a dash or two of fish sauce, very finely diced ginger,  a sliced chili, and if you've got it, sliced lemon grass. Marinate for a few hours to a day. Very good in hot weather.

doodlemor

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 11:07:24 PM »

I like making a Thai style steak salad. Sliced steak (medium is best), finely diced onion, fresh squeezed lime juice, a dash or two of fish sauce, very finely diced ginger,  a sliced chili, and if you've got it, sliced lemon grass. Marinate for a few hours to a day. Very good in hot weather.

I'm late coming in, but want to mention the steak salads served around here.  Just make a nice salad with greens, cucumber, onions - whatever you really like in salad.  Then put warm steak strips or bite size pieces on top, and toss with your favorite dressing.  It's my favorite!  Leftover steak could be heated for 30 seconds or so in the microwave, or heated briefly in a pan with a sprinkle of garlic powder.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »
Flour tortilla, grilled onion & bell pepper strips, a little BBQ sauce, and whatever else sounds good - quick lunch or filling snack. 

It's amazing what proteins & veggies can be wrapped in a tortilla and eaten....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

magicdomino

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 10:55:01 AM »

I'm late coming in, but want to mention the steak salads served around here.  Just make a nice salad with greens, cucumber, onions - whatever you really like in salad.  Then put warm steak strips or bite size pieces on top, and toss with your favorite dressing.  It's my favorite!  Leftover steak could be heated for 30 seconds or so in the microwave, or heated briefly in a pan with a sprinkle of garlic powder.

When I cook steak, I plan leftovers especially for this.  Ranch dressing, a slice or two of good bread on the side = good stuff.  Small amounts of leftover steak can be chopped up and put into scrambled eggs -- or an omlet if you can make omlets.  Mine always turn into scrambled eggs anyway.   :)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 03:23:25 AM »
such great ideas! as i said, i've never really made steak before and the leftovers turned out fine (possibly better than the original steaks!). Good ideas for leftovers - next time i'll plan them on purpose

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Frog24

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 02:30:03 PM »
Don't forget beef-barley soup!

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
The steaks are cooked already?  A few ideas - one is a French Dip.  Reheat the steak in a can of beef consomme or make your own beef broth au jus.  Dip crusty rolls in it lightly, pile up with steak.

Or slice as thin as possible, slice some onions & peppers & saute until starting to brown.  Toss in the steak until heated through and serve on rolls with cheese & mayo like a Philly Steak sandwich.

OR!  My lazy stroganoff.  I make a packet of instant brown gravy (or open a can), add some mushrooms and when it's bubbling toss in the thinly sliced steak.  Just before serving, stir in a little sour cream and serve over noodles or rice.  Very tasty.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »
I just remembered - I also make cottage pie - grind the meat fine and mix with leftover veggies such as corn, peas, beans, carrots or use frozen or canned.  Add any leftover gravy and/or sauce, press into a buttered casserole & top with leftover mashed potatoes.  Dot with butter and bake until bubbly and steaming hot.  Very tasty!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »
Lunch today was three steak wraps - slice the small steak into strips, add strips of bell pepper & onion, sauté until the veggies cook, add BBQ sauce (or fajita marinade) to the pan until hot, then spoon onto warm tortillas & wrap up.  Sour cream, chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, and a little shredded cheese would have turned them into soft steak tacos...

But they were good, quick, and didn't heat up the kitchen either!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?