News:

• April 24, 2018, 10:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to deal with freeloaders??  (Read 12161 times)

Hmmmmm

Re: How to deal with freeloaders??
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
Decades ago I used to train in store presenters for a major company. While in most cases we never really encountered more than a few freeloaders, we always had an issue when handing out free washing detergent samples. Here's some advice that we used to give.

-Position your body between the sample display and the people.
-Hand samples directly to people.
-If someone comes back for a second sample of the same item (not different flavor) say "Oh, I'm really only allowed one sample per person, but I'll allow you a second just this time." If they try for a 3rd, then it's 'Oh, I've already broken the rules for you once."
-If someone comes back multiple times, had them a full sized package with a "So glad you liked it. Here's a bottle and a coupon."
-Go into a long marketing spill while holding the sample you are "about" to give them and ask them questions "So what brand do you normally use" "How do you like this one compared to the other." "Would you like more coupons", "How many bottles would you like" and then start telling them all the wonderful things about your product (ie, waste their time). They'll get bored of listening to you and it won't be worth the free snack to stand there anymore.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
I do similar work. You really have to whip out the Spine O Steel for people like that. Especially since mystery shoppers and casually dressed corporate clients will stop by to test if you're following directions. If you're handing out 100 detergent samples then you call out "Hi, would you like a free sample of Tide", give the person one only and decline the request for "another one for my sister / mom." If you've got multiple flavors / varieties available, you'll probably want to dish out each customer's serving individually; I have to do this with cookies & candies, otherwise people just do the "swipe and go" as they pass  ::) All my kit sheets have said "Only one sample per customer." And we get emails every couple months about "Do not hand out multiple samples to one person."

*This is how I get rid of creepy / pervy customers. If someone makes a disgusting comment, I say "I'm a cop's wife. I've heard it all." That shuts 'em up really fast and they stammer an apology or take off. I don't have a husband but I do that if security or management is too far away from my table to help.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:05:46 PM by TeamBhakta »

Peppergirl

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »
To the PP's saying 'extra samples may lead to sales', I don't think this is what the OP means. 

A person who politely takes a second sample while mulling a possible purchase is a completely different animal from the 'lets-make-a-free-meal-from-samples' crowd. 

The second type of person is a user, pure and simple. They are not there to test the product.  They're there to get something for nothing.  We all know the type. 

Redsoil

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »
To the freeloaders:

"Oh these samples are just so great, aren't they?  I know just a few only makes you want more, but I have to make sure I have enough for everyone today.  I'd hate for others to miss out, and my employer wants to make sure we get good coverage.  I know you can purchase *product* in aisle whatever - it's only *price*.  Have a good day!"
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Raintree

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 02:06:30 AM »
Wow, people really do that? It would never occur to me to try and take a second sample. Unless there were multiple types/flavours, I might ask to try the other one. But only if I liked the first one and was considering a purchase.