Author Topic: Rental Car Companies - Recommendations? Warnings?  (Read 1044 times)

mich3554

Re: Rental Car Companies - Recommendations? Warnings?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 05:20:50 PM »
If you fuel up before returning the car, make sure that you keep the receipt from the gas pump.

We rented a car in Myrtle Beach last month and when we filled it up, the fuel gauge didn't go all the way to F, just a couple clicks below.  Since we only went about 5 miles on the tank, there was something wrong with the gauge.  However, they tried to charge us for 3 gallons of gas.

It was only $15, but it was the principle of it.  The receipt had the time printed on it, and the CSR was able to take the fuel cost off the total for the car.

I've rented from every place (I usually reserve through Hotwire) and have really not had any sort of bad experiences with any of these.  I just make sure that I mark any dings on the car when I pick it up, so that they don't get blamed on me.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
I always use Enterprise. They really went above & beyond on customer service a few times, so I won't use anything else even when they're not the cheapest.

Browyn

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
Don't assume the insurance on your credit card or your own car insurance will be enough.  Make sure you are covered for loss of use.  If you have a minor accident and it takes them a month to get around to fixing it they will charge you what it would have rented for a month as "loss of use".

I know two people this has happened to.  Be careful!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »
I found out that my Mastercard fully covers any car rental up to 31 days, so I don't need to get their coverage. I also found out that Alamo (other companies as well, I'm sure) has a counter bypass option, which I have already selected and printed out the confirmation. I just pick out a vehicle and give the confirmation to the person in the booth.

I feel like I have accomplished something!

cattlekid

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
We like National because of their EmeraldAisle service.  If you are renting from an EmeraldAisle location (list is on their website), and you are a member of their Emerald Club (free to join) and reserve a midsized car, you can bypass the counter and go directly to the Aisle or Executive areas and pick out any car they have available. 

DH likes it because we can test out the cars (seat comfort, visibility from the driver's seat, etc.) while we are still in the lot.  Also, they've had some pretty sweet cars available in the past.  We've gotten a Cadillac DTS and an Impala SS on our two most recent trips.  I wouldn't splurge like that on my own, but it's a nice little perk when we are both together.

zainabzks

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »
We like Hertz and Avis. Hertz had the cheapest prices on Expedia. Alamo is okay and I would never recommend Dollar. Dollar has the oldest cars on the planet. We rented from them once and the car we got had issues (I believe we couldn't lock the car).

LadyL

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
I almost got scammed by Fox Rental Cars in CA. We were going to rent a car for our honeymoon and they had a great price on a convertible. I got the quote maybe 2 months ahead of time and reserved the car. When I checked the site again 2 weeks before we left, the quote was now twice as much! Apparently they don't honor the price they quote you at booking. I ended up going with Hertz and our experience was great.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »
We had great results with Alamo and absolutely no extra charges or upselling.