News:

• April 24, 2018, 10:40:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boss tasting my food  (Read 12673 times)

magicdomino

Re: Boss tasting my food
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 03:57:57 PM »
You actually stabbed someone with a plastic fork or are you embellishing for embellishment's sake?

I confess that while I have threatened people with my fork many times, I have actually had to do it once.  In my defense, the person was one of those jokers who enjoy aggravating people, then claim they are just kidding, can't you take a joke?  First time he grabbed a piece of meat, I asked him not to do that and placed an arm next to my plate.  Second time, I was more forceful.  Third time, I warned him that if he did that again, I'd stab his hand with my fork.  So, of course, he did it again.  The fork didn't break skin, but it hurt enough to prove that I had been serious.   Most likely there was a better way to handle the situation, but no one was going to come to my rescue. (It was a large group of mostly acquaintances.)  Further attempts to protect my plate by leaning over would clearly be regarded as a fun challenge.  I sure as heck wasn't willing to go without the meal that I was buying.   So, I jabbed his hand.  He sulked and pointedly ignored me the rest of the meal, but I got to eat in peace.

MrTango

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »
I agree with posters who say to say something.  You don't have to ask them not to touch your food. Telling them not to touch your food is fine.  Saying "don't ever touch my food again" is not rude.

Usually, if someone takes something off my plate, I'm not particularly nice about it.  I've used the above phrase many times, and it has never failed to be effective.

I accidently stabbed someone with a spork at the lunch table in elementary school.  I wasn't paying attention when she and I both went after the last tater-tot on my plate at the same time. Fortunately, she didn't need any stitches, just a Band-Aid.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:05:11 PM by MrTango »

EMuir

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
If you like your job, just avoid sitting near him next time.  There are things you could say to colleagues, but with all the bosses present? I wouldn't raise a stink. Yeah, it sucks, but it's reality.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
I hate when someone eats my food. Years ago, my mother and I worked close enough that we could have lunch together occasionally. She would *always* want to taste my food. And just stick her fork in my plate. I would just give it to her and order something else. She never got *it*. Luckily, Husband knows and waits to be asked. Truly, I would give you the shirt off my back. Just do not take my french fries!

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
And if I was annoyed at my MOTHER ... I can't imagine my annoyance at a BOSS!

Mergatroyd

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »
I'd probably just have automatically said, 'oh' like I was completely surprised and a bit shocked.

katycoo

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
"Oh I just have to taste that!"

"$1 a taste, would you like to buy a forkful?"

TootsNYC

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
Well, if the company is buying the meal, that's going to backfire.

Luci

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 07:02:57 PM »
You actually stabbed someone with a plastic fork or are you embellishing for embellishment's sake?

I confess that while I have threatened people with my fork many times, I have actually had to do it once.  In my defense, the person was one of those jokers who enjoy aggravating people, then claim they are just kidding, can't you take a joke?  First time he grabbed a piece of meat, I asked him not to do that and placed an arm next to my plate.  Second time, I was more forceful.  Third time, I warned him that if he did that again, I'd stab his hand with my fork.  So, of course, he did it again.  The fork didn't break skin, but it hurt enough to prove that I had been serious.   Most likely there was a better way to handle the situation, but no one was going to come to my rescue. (It was a large group of mostly acquaintances.)  Further attempts to protect my plate by leaning over would clearly be regarded as a fun challenge.  I sure as heck wasn't willing to go without the meal that I was buying.   So, I jabbed his hand.  He sulked and pointedly ignored me the rest of the meal, but I got to eat in peace.

It was my husband and it was an accident: he was reaching in just as I was trying to get my first forkful. But he knows how I    do   not   share    food.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
Show surprise and shock, accompanied with a loud startled "Excuse me?"  If he says, " I just wanted a taste", you can say, "Please ask first". 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

katycoo

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 09:15:10 PM »
Well, if the company is buying the meal, that's going to backfire.

Depends on the nature of the relationship.

nayberry

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 07:52:56 AM »
i have threatened the fork in hand action a couple of times,  if someone asks and accepts whatever my answer is thats fine, but just reaching over to nab my meal, oh heck no!

RE "touch my food, feel my fork"  there was a quorn advert,  www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUR8t9tDcc
baby berry arrived june 2016

TootsNYC

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 11:17:20 AM »

It was my husband and it was an accident: he was reaching in just as I was trying to get my first forkful. But he knows how I    do   not   share    food.

I'd have given you a dispensation even if it had been on purpose--you hadn't even taken a bite? That just makes it so phenomenally worse.

weeblewobble

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
I really don't like it when people say, "I just have to" do something, because they are simultaneously stating that they cannot/will not control their own behavior and are excusing themselves for it.

That said, in the interest of maintaining a good relationship with your boss, especially if he is otherwise a nice guy, I would make light of it. The joke about "paying for a forkful" is a good one.

lowspark

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
I'm going to base my reply on this statement from the OP:
I'm not really against sharing, but you have to ask.

What I'm reading here is that it didn't bother you so much that he took your food, it bothers you that he didn't ask first.
So, maybe the fact that it's about food is almost a red herring.

What if, instead of taking your food he had taken a pen off your desk without asking first? Or walked up to your desk and used your phone without asking first.

Do you really want to get into it with your supervisor's boss over not asking first?

To answer your question, What would you do?, I'd leave it. I'd not say a word.

Yes, I'd make an effort not to sit next to him at any future meals but honestly, I would not jeopardize the perception my supervisor, boss, upper level bosses, heck - even my coworkers, had of me by making any kind of a fuss. Even a small one.

Now, if it really did bother you that he took your food, as is clearly the case for several posters here, then yeah, it might be worth commenting on. But to me, it's weighing the egregiousness (in your eyes) of the infraction vs. the possible consequences of speaking up.

I'd only speak up about something that really mattered to me because it can easily paint a negative picture of you in the eyes of the people you work with, even if it's a subconscious picture.

Sometimes, it's just best to leave things be in order to not rock the boat. Go along to get along.
Clearly not everyone agrees with that, but that's what *I* would do.
Houston 
Texas 
USA