Author Topic: You Know You're A Parent When...  (Read 2084 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
You Know You're A Parent When...
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »
...you wake at 5.50am every. Single. Day.  Even when your child is staying at their grandparents' house.
...you find yourself talking in your "Mummy" voice (slightly louder and clearer than usual) when you are speaking with fully functioning adults.  On the phone.  At work.
...you no longer swear.  "Oh my days" takes the place of swear words, and you just cannot bring yourself to utter them.
...you find yourself humming the theme tune of various CBeebies programmes even when your child is nowhere to be seen.
...your idea of a good night no longer involves partying the night away, but getting through the huge pile of ironing whilst watching Jeremy Kyle, Coronation Street or some other random, rubbish, no-brain-required TV show.
...you realise there are indeed two five o'clocks in a day.
...getting ready to go out now involves throwing your hair into a semblence of a bun/ponytail and then hightailing it out the door quickly - time is of the essence, and you don't want to waste the very short window of child free time.
...chicken nuggets, chips, tomato ketchup and a Fruit Shoot actually sounds like a very acceptable meal, and when asked by a Health Visitor whether the diet is varied, the answer of "Sometimes it's fish fingers" is equally acceptable.  (Please note, DS and I do occasionally make our own "chicken dippers" using fresh chicken and our own-made breadcrumbs, which are entirely more yummy than the shop bought ones; and he does have peas with his meals, and sometimes even eats one if I'm lucky...!!!)
...even when you are away from your kid, you cannot stop thinking or talking about them. Constantly.

So...what are yours?!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: You Know You're A Parent When...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
-I've always been a morning person anyway but definitely started waking up earlier once I had kids.  Even more so when my eldest started getting up at 6 on school days.  They've been out of school for a month now and I'm STILL waking up before 7.  Course I also have cats and it's hard to ignore a kitty that's licking and headbutting you.

-Kid shows grow on you after a while and you find yourself humming the theme songs.

-You learn to keep a stash of snacks your kids won't find.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mime

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
- Putting on nail polish is an extreme luxury. It means you know you have at least 20 minutes where you won't be interrupted by anyone who needs anything.
- You can't even remember a time when you weren't tired.
- You find yourself saying things like "let me finish drying the monkey's tail then I'll put the pants on the frog", and it makes perfect sense.
- You have permanently adopted the "mom sway": when standing, you continuously shift your weight from side to side as if rocking a baby to sleep. You do this even when you're not holding a baby.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »
You relish work because no one follows you to the bathroom. (Or if they do, there are protocols to get rid of them ;) )

Victoria

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:28:35 AM »
- Putting on nail polish is an extreme luxury. It means you know you have at least 20 minutes where you won't be interrupted by anyone who needs anything.
- You can't even remember a time when you weren't tired.
- You find yourself saying things like "let me finish drying the monkey's tail then I'll put the pants on the frog", and it makes perfect sense.
- You have permanently adopted the "mom sway": when standing, you continuously shift your weight from side to side as if rocking a baby to sleep. You do this even when you're not holding a baby.

I do this at stores. If I have anything in my arms at the checkout line, I sway and rock. I've soothed many a bag of sugar, to the amusement of the cashiers :)

my "you know you're a parent when..." is when you're watching a show with a bratty/adorable kid antics and identify with the parents instead of the protagonist. My younger SIL loves Merida in Brave. I can't stand her because of the tapestry scene. I literally winced when I saw her cut it and thought of the hundreds of hours that were just ruined.
Similarly, I see the moral of Finding Nemo to be, "listen to your parents." If Nemo hadn't disobeyed his dad and gone after the boat, neither of them would have nearly died several times over.

though I guess the fact that I've put so much thought and analysis into Disney movies is a 'you know you're a parent' moment in and of itself :)

DH's moment would be wearing a clunky plastic bead necklace to work because DS made it just for him
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
When you no longer bat an eye at "I need to go here, here and here on Saturday".

I frequently wear the leather cuff bracelet DS made me.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
Finding Nemo's moral I find to be twofold, that a child should listen to the parents, but also that the parents shouldn't be overly protective, and let their kids explore and even get bruised to a degree.  That Marlin got as fussed about Nemo going to school as he did about the drop-off made it so that Nemo didn't take the actual danger very seriously cause his dad went into a panic about anything.

-Yeah...debating the morals of kids stories I guess is another one! LOL!  But I'm with you on the tapestry in Brave.  Especially as I've taken up cross stitching...oy.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Bobbie

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
..you tell time by what program they are watching on TV
..you always have food ready (when my boys were teenagers) because they are like Hobbits (breakfast, elevenes, lunch, snack, tea, dinner, after dinner)
..you don't flinch when you here a piercing scream, just look around to see if its one of yours
..I thought I got away from my bathroom audience, the dog now follows and sometimes that cat
..you can cook dinner with kids sitting on your feet
..you can herd kids like a cowboy herds cattle
..the big accomplishment of the month was putting all the laundry away (cause in my house that was a rare occurrence)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
..you always have food ready (when my boys were teenagers) because they are like Hobbits (breakfast, elevenes, lunch, snack, tea, dinner, after dinner)
..you don't flinch when you here a piercing scream, just look around to see if its one of yours
..I thought I got away from my bathroom audience, the dog now follows and sometimes that cat

..the big accomplishment of the month was putting all the laundry away (cause in my house that was a rare occurrence)

I did all of these at 12, since my two cousins lived with us, and I was usually caring for them alone.

The cooking with kids sitting on my feet made me smile so hard my face hurt. I can't tell you how many meal preps had one kid holding onto my leg and the other piggy-backing because he "needed to smells" my hair.

Not a real parent yet but I love this thread.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
...you have someone else's underpants in your purse.  And you're not in college.

Enigmatism

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:33 AM »

You missed out brunch!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
- you find yourself uttering the same sentences that many times that you could do with a recorder to just play back on a loop.

- you find yourself thinking 200 times a day "I'm turning into my mother."

- you begin to feel almost homicidal when you have a toddler in a buggy and you are trying to get somewhere, only for the person in front of you to just randomly stop, in the middle of the street.  And you almost go into the back of them.  And then the person behind you comes to an abrupt stop. 

- you realise that you do actually get grumpy after little sleep.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
When you count down the days to a trip to visit a friend for a girl's weekend.  :) 

I'm not a Family Guy fan but I had to give a chuckle when I saw this video cause my 2 year old is at this stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLxQGLJouI

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
I knew my brother was really a dad the night he ended a phone call with "Nighty-night!" instead of "Bye!"
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 10:13:40 PM »
When you count down the days to a trip to visit a friend for a girl's weekend.  :) 

I'm not a Family Guy fan but I had to give a chuckle when I saw this video cause my 2 year old is at this stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLxQGLJouI

That's the ringtone I have assigned to my 18 year old son's phone number.