Author Topic: S/O Tantrumming Toddlers - What Was Your Best/Worst Tantrum??  (Read 3436 times)

Arila

Re: S/O Tantrumming Toddlers - What Was Your Best/Worst Tantrum??
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:50 PM »
I don't remember throwing it, but my mother likes to tell me about the time at sea world where I absolutely insisted that I must be the one to push (without help!!!!) the whale-shaped stroller. I wasn't able to actually see over/around it, so I was quite a public menace.

I can't believe that it would have gone on for very long. Mom was pretty strict about public behavior.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 10:31:07 AM »
My mom says that once when I was little - about 3 I think, because I have a very faint memory of it - we were at my grandparent's and all my cousins were there.  Apparently I was acting all hyper (misbehaving) and of course my cousins, who are all older than me, were egging me on.  Eventually my mother picked me up, carried me to the bathroom, and spanked the living beejeezus out of me.  Needless to say I was "good as gold" after that.  She says that when she went back into the room her sisters-in-law gave her dirty looks but she looked straight at them and said "Hurricane is not allowed to behave like that." 

Another time, likely when I was 3 because I have a faint memory, I was acting up in KMart.  My dad says he took me to the car and spanked the heck out me and never had a problem with me misbehaving in public again. 

Then there's the time I talked about before when I was flipping out about something and my mom grabbed my arm at the same time I threw myself backwards and pulled a muscle.  Apparently my cry went from "bratty" to "in pain" and she took me to the hospital.  Weeks later we were on the city bus and apparently I yelled out "That's where we went when mommy broke my arm!"

Only three tantrum stories that get retold in my life - that's pretty good, I think.  ;)

Gyburc

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 04:35:22 AM »
Not mine, but my DH's. DH was an angelic-looking little boy, with very blond hair and big brown eyes. He was also (according to MIL) very well-behaved and barely ever cried or got angry.

So the day she took DH (aged around 3) out on a car-trip with her mother and her MIL, she had a really nasty shock. For some reason, when they arrived at their destination, DH did. not. want. to get out of the car. He screamed. He kicked. He howled. Eventually he managed to wriggle off the back seat, down into the footwell, and in underneath the driver's seat of the car, wedging himself so tightly they had to get someone to help them take the whole seat out of the car and rescue him. All in front of two disapproving old ladies... Poor MIL...

;D
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

jmarvellous

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »
One day when I was between 2 and 3 (so before any other kids came along), and I was giggling and yelling and running all over a store when she was out shopping with a friend. She said she tried all of her usual tricks, then told me I would get a spanking if I didn't stop. I didn't, she spanked, but I guess it was gentle enough that she didn't hurt me, even though she felt terrible for losing her temper. I started giggling even louder and saying stuff like, "Do it again!" She was doubly embarrassed.

She decided then and there that corporal punishment hurt her more than it knocked any sense into us. She did not spank ever again.

(Realizing now that was more acting out than a tantrum. Bonus story from my baby sister: She was very sensitive about a few things, mainly when her pacifiers were missing or there wasn't any white grape juice available. But the word "helicopter" would set. her. off. Every time. Once the older siblings realized it, it was a sure-fire way to rile her up like crazy! She would scold us and get all bent out of shape. I think she thought it was a "bad word.")

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
When I was in lower elementary, we went to the ER for an allergic reaction. They pulled Dad out of the room for something. Doctor tried to give me a medicine that I have bizarre reaction to. I pitched a fit. Dad came back in confirmed I was supposed to have different med. The doctor was impressed.

At a big box store

2 parents realize their son had put his lovey down somewhere. There was total panic in their eyes, just before an epic meltdown started. They quickly explained he was on spectrum and needed the security stuffed dog. About ten people spread out and started looking for the stuffed dog.

Another preschooler found it and ran up to the little boy saying here he is you happy now. The kids hugged. It was so much a community coming together, rather than blaming the parents.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 03:49:41 PM »
This is the mutual tantrum that brought my sister and me together.

I grew up in Philadelphia, and my family vacationed every summer in Ocean City, Maryland.  One year, my mom decided that she would really, really like a night away from her 3 kids and husband and drive down to Maryland by herself before the rest of us drove down the next day.  You know, stay in the condo we rented without having to take care of another person.  One night, that’s all she wanted.**

I’m 11 and my sister Chris was 8.  When Mom announced her plan, Chris and I immediately began begging her to take us with her, and pretty soon the begging morphed into pleading when led to hysterical crying while my sister and I packed the car truck with everyone’s bags and beach stuff.  My father said it was kind of sad but really funny because my sister and I DID NOT get along.  At all.  And here we are, both just sobbing, angry and working in tandem to get that car packed so she couldn’t leave us behind. 

**Man, oh man do I feel sorry for this now.  All the poor woman wanted was one evening to sip a glass of wine and stare at the waves in peace and quiet, and my sister and I wouldn’t allow that.

So did your sister and you get along well afterwards?

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
This one is on my older son. I took DD then 8, and OS then 4, to the store with me. At the end of the shopping trip, DD as if they can have a candy bar. While they didn't always get a treat, so they knew my saying no was a possibility, I told her yes, but they would be eaten at home. As soon as the cashier had rung up the candy bars and put them in the bags, DS started acting up. I told him if he didn't stop, he would not be getting his candy. He didn't stop.

We got home, I got the groceries put away, and DD asks if they can have their candy. I told her she could have hers, but OS was not getting his, and I opened his up and ate it. The look of shock on both of their faces was amazing. She asked if she could give him some of hers, and I said no, he was misbehaving in the store, he is not getting any. He threw himself on the floor and started kicking and screaming.

He never acted up in the store again.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
I didn't often have meltdowns,  but when I did they were pretty spectacular.   It took everyone awhile to figure out it only happened shortly after I said I was hungry or the back of my neck felt hot /sweaty. If I didn't eat almost immediately, meltdown mode commenced. Turned out it was from my blood sugar dropping from having non-diabetic reactive hypoglycemia.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Miss Understood

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
I only remember having two tantrums (not that there couldn't be more that I don't remember, but my parents never brought any others up and I think I was a pretty even-natured kid so hopefully these were it).  One was really bratty and the other more understandable.

1.  Bratty:  Once when I was really little (I'd say 3 at the most, it's one of my first memories).  My Dad had this big clock on his bedside table - not like an alarm clock one would have had in the last several decades but a big rectangular heavy thing.  I picked it up to look at it and it was pretty heavy for me.  My Dad told me to give it to him so I wouldn't drop it and break it (or my toe), and for some reason this just incensed me.  I remember to this day feeling so incredibly defiant, like "you can't make me give it back, I want to look at it!"  He kept getting more insistent and I got even more defiant in return, culminating with me not dropping, but throwing, it on the floor and breaking it.  That was the one and only time my Dad ever hit me (small slap on the hand, which didn't hurt my hand, just my pride).

2.  Not bratty but annoying nevertheless:  my family (Mom and Dad, big brother (10 years older) and me) were visiting the Wax Museum in San Francisco.  I was about 4-5 (I know, too old for tantrums).  Big bro took me through the "hall of horrors" because he thought it was super-cool and thought I would too, which I did, but it also scared me.  Then there was the fact that I had had a bad dream the night before.  When we got to the end of the museum, patrons were supposed to leave by a designated exit, but I totally freaked out - I was absolutely positive there were monsters outside the exit door and that we needed to leave through the front door where we had come in.  My parents were bewildered but finally gave in, so we all had to traipse back all the way to the front again to appease me.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 12:35:05 AM »
I only remember having two tantrums (not that there couldn't be more that I don't remember, but my parents never brought any others up and I think I was a pretty even-natured kid so hopefully these were it).  One was really bratty and the other more understandable.

1.  Bratty:  Once when I was really little (I'd say 3 at the most, it's one of my first memories).  My Dad had this big clock on his bedside table - not like an alarm clock one would have had in the last several decades but a big rectangular heavy thing.  I picked it up to look at it and it was pretty heavy for me.  My Dad told me to give it to him so I wouldn't drop it and break it (or my toe), and for some reason this just incensed me.  I remember to this day feeling so incredibly defiant, like "you can't make me give it back, I want to look at it!"  He kept getting more insistent and I got even more defiant in return, culminating with me not dropping, but throwing, it on the floor and breaking it.  That was the one and only time my Dad ever hit me (small slap on the hand, which didn't hurt my hand, just my pride).

2.  Not bratty but annoying nevertheless:  my family (Mom and Dad, big brother (10 years older) and me) were visiting the Wax Museum in San Francisco.  I was about 4-5 (I know, too old for tantrums).  Big bro took me through the "hall of horrors" because he thought it was super-cool and thought I would too, which I did, but it also scared me.  Then there was the fact that I had had a bad dream the night before.  When we got to the end of the museum, patrons were supposed to leave by a designated exit, but I totally freaked out - I was absolutely positive there were monsters outside the exit door and that we needed to leave through the front door where we had come in.  My parents were bewildered but finally gave in, so we all had to traipse back all the way to the front again to appease me.
I do not think #2 counts as a tantrum or being bratty. You had already been scared once. No different than accommodating a phobia. When I was a little older, I went on a roller coaster - in part because cool older cousins were going. I was in the same car as oldest cousin - who had to hold me down. I freaked out and kept trying to curl up on the bottom of the car. No logical thinking at all. Poor cousin had scratch marks from me. When it finally came to a stop, I was to freaked out to get off. I was afraid the platform was going to collapse. My cousin had to pick me up and carry me off.

Dad had gone with a couple of the other adults to pick up lunch for us. His reaction was she curls up on the floorboard when we go over spaghetti bowls or the Galveston Causeway why did anyone think this was a good idea.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

parrot_girl

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:47 AM »
Telling on King Parrot for this one. ;)
When he was but a 2 year old, his mother took him to the playground, where he was particularly fond of the slide. They arrived to find the playground swarming with other children, not all that unexpectedly, but what stopped Toddler King Parrot in his tracks was the group of older children (about 5 or 6 years old) who were going up the slide!
He apparently lost his tiny mind and stood there roaring at them to "Stop dat! Stop dat right now, dat is naughty!! No dowing uppa slide, oo do downa slide! Slide is for dowing DOWN!!! Naughty! Dat is NAUGHTY!!"
They stood there in utter bemusement while the infuriated toddler berated them on the correct use of the slide, and my mother-in-law laughed so hard she cried. :)

blueyzca01

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »
This is the mutual tantrum that brought my sister and me together.

I grew up in Philadelphia, and my family vacationed every summer in Ocean City, Maryland.  One year, my mom decided that she would really, really like a night away from her 3 kids and husband and drive down to Maryland by herself before the rest of us drove down the next day.  You know, stay in the condo we rented without having to take care of another person.  One night, that’s all she wanted.**

I’m 11 and my sister Chris was 8.  When Mom announced her plan, Chris and I immediately began begging her to take us with her, and pretty soon the begging morphed into pleading when led to hysterical crying while my sister and I packed the car truck with everyone’s bags and beach stuff.  My father said it was kind of sad but really funny because my sister and I DID NOT get along.  At all.  And here we are, both just sobbing, angry and working in tandem to get that car packed so she couldn’t leave us behind. 

**Man, oh man do I feel sorry for this now.  All the poor woman wanted was one evening to sip a glass of wine and stare at the waves in peace and quiet, and my sister and I wouldn’t allow that.

So did your sister and you get along well afterwards?

Sorry, I didn't see your question for a while.  And the answer is no.  Sadly, the moment we reached Ocean City, the fighting started right up.  BUT, we were completely quiet during the drive down there.  Normally Chris and I would start fighting from the moment the engine turned on until we reached our destination....but this time we realized that if we made even one peep, she would have turned that car right around.

And we're great friends now. 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

LadyStormwing

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Here's mine: I was four when my aunt and uncle got married, and I was one of 2 flower girls. When the time came, I wouldn't walk. At all. I don't think I screamed or anything, it was just a flat out refusal. Someone (and to this day, no one can agree who it was - my father, an uncle, or my grandmother, but I seem to remember my uncle) had to carry me to my seat. I was, apparently, a complete, utter, and total brat the entire day. I am scowling in all the wedding pictures. My mother still looks back on that day and wonders why she didn't sell me to the Gypsies. (the common threat in our house)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
So, I am feeling like such a horrible person right now but... I want to use some of these stories as inspiration for one of my characters.  :-[ I find inspiration in the weirdest things!

cutejellybeen

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »
I was 6. WAY too old for a tantrum like this, and I will admit to it - I was a *spoiled* only child up until about 8 months prior. My parents had the audacity to bring home a brother for me.

I wanted a Nintendo for Christmas in 87. Desperately, Desperately wanted one. It was THE gift that year. I live in a small city in Eastern Canada, when things sell out, even now it might be difficult or take a while to get new ones. So I imagine there weren't that many for sale here at that time. My parents were unable to get one, whether because I asked late, or just unlucky, I'm not sure. What they did do, what have friends in Boston find a Sega for me.

I lost my everloving mind. Why they didn't just take Christmas away from me that morning I will never know, but I remain completely ashamed of the reaction I had. Dad doesn't even remember it happening. lol

I did get a Nintendo a few weeks later. I loved that thing.