Author Topic: S/O Tantrumming Toddlers - What Was Your Best/Worst Tantrum??  (Read 3799 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
What was the best/worst tantrum you remember throwing?

I have a doozer.  I was 4ish, on holiday with my parents and brother.  We were in the pool and my Dad said it was time to get out the pool to go and get ready to go out to eat.  I didn't want to get out the pool.  I wanted to swim, so I ignored my Dad.  Big mistake.  My Dad pulled me out the water after the 3rd time I ignored him, and I screamed and yelled.  So my Dad picked me up across his shoulder, my little brother holding my dad's leg, and frogmarched me back to the villa.  The upshot was my Dad and brother went out for food, my Mum stayed with me in the villa because I wasn't allowed after that.

(My tantrums became increasingly worse over time.  Little did we know back then, but I was autistic - Aspergers syndrome. Being bullied at school because I was different didn't help matters...I constantly felt "at sea" and abnormal, and I guess acting out like that was a serious cry for help that nobody heard.  Had it been 15 years later, I guess, my Aspies would have been discovered, my parents could have received help in dealing with it and life could have been very, very different.  As it is, I developed my own ways of coping with the condition - I refuse to call it a disability - and although they don't work all the time, I feel able to deal with a normal hectic family life without resorting to meltdowns when things don't happen my way!!!  :)  )
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hurricane Marathon

Re: S/O Tantrumming Toddlers - What Was Your Best/Worst Tantrum??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »
Apparently when I was about 3 - I have a very faint memory of it - I was throwing a tantrum and my mom grabbed my arm.  At the same time I threw myself backwards and she says my cry went from "bratty" to "in pain".  She took me to the hospital and it was just a pulled muscle, but I had to keep my arm in a sling for a while. 

Later on we were on the city bus going past the hospital and apparently I yelled "THAT'S WHERE WE WENT WHEN MOMMY BROKE MY ARM!"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
My 3-year-old did something similar to Hurricane Marathon when she was maybe about 2.  My husband was holding her hand and walking her up the stairs to bed.  She didn't want to go, and decided to do one of those toddler things where they just go limp noodle and drop to the floor (and are really hard to carry).  Well, he was holding firmly to her hand, so when she did that, it dislocated her wrist.  We didn't realize it until the next day (she didn't react that day, it didn't seem to cause her pain, she just started favoring it and wouldn't use it).

My 1-year-old has just started throwing tantrums.  I hadn't even thought of them that way, really.  But I was at the doctor's office for her checkup and she was getting tired and fussy and when the doctor had to talk to me for a long time, she started crying.  So the doctor is asking me questions, etc. over the crying, and she's throwing herself on the floor.  The doctor said, "And when she throws a tantrum, just ignore it."  She glanced at Megan, then said, "I guess you've already figured that one out!  Good job, Mom!"  Heh.  I wasn't really intentionally ignoring her, I just have 4 kids, I'm used to having conversations with somebody crying in the background.

BarensMom

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »
I was about 3-4 when I had a huge tantrum inside a grocery store.  I have no recollection as to why, just that my father picked me up and, as he was taking me outside, I saw the back of a woman that looked like my mother and grabbed her coat collar.  She turned in surprise and, when I saw that it wasn't Mom, I remember that I felt like an idiot for the first (but not the last) time.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 10:12:55 PM »
Here's mine:

I was four and throwing a massive tantrum... because my mom was smoking a cigarette and I wanted one.

*Shakes head*

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »
My DH was at the grocery store with his father and was sent to the front of the store for some reason. He arched his back to scream and hit his head on the window, which shattered the window and caused him to be cut on the back of his head. He'll never live that one down, especially since he shaves his head and the scar is visible.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:17:24 AM »
My DH was at the grocery store with his father and was sent to the front of the store for some reason. He arched his back to scream and hit his head on the window, which shattered the window and caused him to be cut on the back of his head. He'll never live that one down, especially since he shaves his head and the scar is visible.
And along those lines, my Grandson #2 was about 6, IIRC, and got mad about something.  Instead of throwing himself to the floor and screaming, he chose to open the refrigerator door several times and slam it closed again.  This caused the pewter dragon goblets on the top of the fridge to 'walk' forward until one of them fell off and clunked him on the head.   Result: one bent goblet, one little boy with a scar centered very nicely on his noggin, and a family story that makes him turn red. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

blueyzca01

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »
This is the mutual tantrum that brought my sister and me together.

I grew up in Philadelphia, and my family vacationed every summer in Ocean City, Maryland.  One year, my mom decided that she would really, really like a night away from her 3 kids and husband and drive down to Maryland by herself before the rest of us drove down the next day.  You know, stay in the condo we rented without having to take care of another person.  One night, that’s all she wanted.**

I’m 11 and my sister Chris was 8.  When Mom announced her plan, Chris and I immediately began begging her to take us with her, and pretty soon the begging morphed into pleading when led to hysterical crying while my sister and I packed the car truck with everyone’s bags and beach stuff.  My father said it was kind of sad but really funny because my sister and I DID NOT get along.  At all.  And here we are, both just sobbing, angry and working in tandem to get that car packed so she couldn’t leave us behind. 

**Man, oh man do I feel sorry for this now.  All the poor woman wanted was one evening to sip a glass of wine and stare at the waves in peace and quiet, and my sister and I wouldn’t allow that. 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Jones

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
I'm generally pretty good at reading DS's moods in public and heading off fights before they start. Quiet sitting time, something distracting, a sketch on a bit of paper. If he's not hungry, thirsty or tired he's usually pretty great to deal with (unlike his sister who once had a tantrum at a grocery store because I wouldn't buy her any wine). Today however...

It was the first day of Bitty Ball. Preschoolers meet twice a week to learn the basics of team sports (er, throw balls around and learn new words). In the beginning everyone got a basketball and was told to warm up. Chaos yes, children throwing balls and racing in circles. DS went up and down the court laughing his heart out.

But then free play ended and the "instruction" came. Teacher asked the kids to follow her like "follow the leader". DS didn't want to carry a ball. She asked them to stand on the free throw line. He deliberately stepped two inches off it. I could sense the trouble but before I could figure out what to do about it, it was too late. Upon the start of a red light/green light type game in which the kids were supposed to stand guard over their ball and growl at her, he melted down, shrieking at the growling children "No! no nononono!"  I removed him to the hallway, we had quiet time, but every time we stepped back in to try again it was kicking, scratching, shrieking. I decided it was best for the rest of the kids if he was distracted elsewhere.

Seeing all those obedient kids trying their hardest and loving the games made my heart hurt when DS melted down like that. :( Hoping for a better experience next "practice".

twoferrets

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:43 AM »
Not mine, but my mom has tales of my brother's seeming ability to "grow suction cups" upon collapsing to the floor in the supermarket- to hear her tell it, you couldn't pry that kid up with a crowbar!

I'm sure there are stories about my tantrums, but I think my talent was more in saying wildly inappropriate things within earshot of other adults, who would then give my mother the What is WRONG With You stare.

NyaChan

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »
I'm generally pretty good at reading DS's moods in public and heading off fights before they start. Quiet sitting time, something distracting, a sketch on a bit of paper. If he's not hungry, thirsty or tired he's usually pretty great to deal with (unlike his sister who once had a tantrum at a grocery store because I wouldn't buy her any wine). Today however...

It was the first day of Bitty Ball. Preschoolers meet twice a week to learn the basics of team sports (er, throw balls around and learn new words). In the beginning everyone got a basketball and was told to warm up. Chaos yes, children throwing balls and racing in circles. DS went up and down the court laughing his heart out.

But then free play ended and the "instruction" came. Teacher asked the kids to follow her like "follow the leader". DS didn't want to carry a ball. She asked them to stand on the free throw line. He deliberately stepped two inches off it. I could sense the trouble but before I could figure out what to do about it, it was too late. Upon the start of a red light/green light type game in which the kids were supposed to stand guard over their ball and growl at her, he melted down, shrieking at the growling children "No! no nononono!"  I removed him to the hallway, we had quiet time, but every time we stepped back in to try again it was kicking, scratching, shrieking. I decided it was best for the rest of the kids if he was distracted elsewhere.

Seeing all those obedient kids trying their hardest and loving the games made my heart hurt when DS melted down like that. :( Hoping for a better experience next "practice".

I admit I only speak from nannying experience, but I think it is a bad idea to give kids the free time first - it works them up, gives them freedom, and then all of the sudden Stop! Now you need to do exactly as I say.  That's a rough adjustment for some as it seems you found.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »

I admit I only speak from nannying experience, but I think it is a bad idea to give kids the free time first - it works them up, gives them freedom, and then all of the sudden Stop! Now you need to do exactly as I say.  That's a rough adjustment for some as it seems you found.

That's a good point, and it seems like a lot of kids' activities are structured that way, doesn't it?  Because there has to be some buffer time when the kids are arriving (and also sometimes because the kids see the toys and want to play with them and teachers figure that it's better to let them get that out of their system).  I've found that sometimes having a transition helps.  When I was leading a bunch of kids in a group recently and they were all still talking and wanting to play instead of listen, I'd say, "Everybody put your right hand in the air!" and they'd all do it.  Then "Everybody put your left hand on your nose!" etc. for a few instructions.  Then I'd end with hands in the lap and eyes on the teacher, or something.  I'm not sure if that always works and it probably depends on the age group.  I wonder what other good ways around the "hard to end free time" issue there might be.

Coralreef

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »
I don't remember what age I was, but mine was in a hospital.  I was there with my mom so I could get vaccinated for something.  I've always been afraid of needles so vaccinations did not usually go well. 

I threw my shoe at the doctor, jumped off the table I was sitting on, ran down the corridor and hid under some furniture. According to my mother, it took one orderly, two nurses and herself to hold me down to get the vaccine.  I think someone got bit, but I'm not sure.  The doctor told my mother that he never wanted to see "that rabid savage" ever again.  I remember being so enraged that I didn't feel the needle.

I still hate needles but I'm able to hold still now  ;) .

[/right

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
DS was very, very sick. He had an upper respiratory in the age of antibiotics only when necessary. It turned into pneumonia. He had a quarter sized spot on one lung and two dimes on the other. So the doctor started an IV, and was trying to get him to hold still.

DH and his mom were holding DS down and he arched his back and had a 12" string of green mucus come out of his nose. Then went back in. DH was charged with grabbing it the next time it came out. Poor DS, the sickest he has ever been. He was 3.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »
I don't remember what age I was, but mine was in a hospital.  I was there with my mom so I could get vaccinated for something.  I've always been afraid of needles so vaccinations did not usually go well. 

I threw my shoe at the doctor, jumped off the table I was sitting on, ran down the corridor and hid under some furniture. According to my mother, it took one orderly, two nurses and herself to hold me down to get the vaccine.  I think someone got bit, but I'm not sure.  The doctor told my mother that he never wanted to see "that rabid savage" ever again.  I remember being so enraged that I didn't feel the needle.

I still hate needles but I'm able to hold still now  ;) .

I had a similar meltdown with similar results, but it turned out that they were only trying to check my blood pressure. I was a total needle phobe, so why they let me watch as they gave my sibling a shot first is just beyond me. I was convinced at that point that I was also getting a shot.   It would have been so much better to do me first and tell me that they just needed my blood pressure.  I had (and still have)  extremely low blood pressure, so it was checked frequently due to me having fainting spells. It wouldn't have even blipped my radar.

I also had a spectacular meltdown at the dentist when he was trying to give me a shot of Novocaine. I went into screaming, arm flailing, leg kicking, biting mode and kicked the poor man in the groin.  After that he had his assistant gas me prior to coming in the room... I do have some fond memories of nitrous oxide.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah