Author Topic: How to get Human Resources to provide supplies? FINAL UPDATE 106  (Read 25815 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: How to get Human Resources to provide supplies? tiny UPDATE #23
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:15 PM »
I once worked for a newspaper where we were told to clock out before we went to the bathroom, and to clock back in when we were done because the paper was in the red. I refused.

Not long after I quit, the bookkeeper and publisher were both arrested for embezlement.

I think it was a business book by Scott Adams (the Dilbert guy) that I read that talked about how draconian supply management can sometimes be a bellwether for larger problems in a company. The chain was Expensive Problem We Aren't Dealing With (i.e. overpaid management/bad purchasing/criminal activity) --> Look the Other Way, But We Have to Do Something (scapegoating people and the illusion of repair) --> Ridiculous Policy (you people are highlighting too much and wasting staples, so we're locking them up!)

He had some absurd examples.

True story from where my mother worked when I was a teenager.  Manager got two company Mercedes for himself and his mistress, who did "work" there.  Fussed at employees for not turning off their office lights when they went to the bathroom. 

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
I worked in an office that kept the supply room generously stocked and the manager in charge would approve all supply orders, EXCEPT he would not allow the supply clerk to order scotch tape in November or December.  He was tired of seeing all of the tape mysteriously disappear in December.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
I worked in an office that kept the supply room generously stocked and the manager in charge would approve all supply orders, EXCEPT he would not allow the supply clerk to order scotch tape in November or December.  He was tired of seeing all of the tape mysteriously disappear in December.

See, that kind of stuff I think is sensible.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2014, 02:15:40 AM »
I've heard that in the public service, there used to be a man in every department, whose job was to replace people's pencils. If your pencil was getting short, you'd call this guy, and he'd come around and inspect your pencil. If he deemed it worn down enough, he'd give you a new one. If not, he'd tell you to keep using it a bit longer.

But that was decades ago. My mind boggles at such a thing happening in offices today.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2014, 05:22:41 AM »
Even then, the finances of that are WAY out of whack.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
Wondering if OP's office got their coffee order yet??  >:D

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »
Wondering if OP's office got their coffee order yet??  >:D

They had coffee the next day.  The bigwigs don't want people leaving the office to go to the Starbucks down the street.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

TOLady

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2014, 10:30:05 AM »
My boss recently told me the story of the $16,000 battery.

A long, long time ago, employees were only handed out a certain number of batteries/year and had to hand in the old ones before they received new ones. The employee in question was responsible for maintaining BIG/HUGE EXPENSIVE item. He had asked for a new flashlight battery but was refused since he had already received his "quota" for the year. Batteries were indeed quite expensive back then and he couldn't just go out and buy one at the local store for whatever reason.

Thus - he was unable to correctly read the teeny serial number for BIG item and ordered and had shipped in a BIG item, which of course was the incorrect BIG item (close, but no way would it fit in the space), it had to be shipped back and a new correct BIG item shipped in. Hence - ordering, paying for, receiving, sending back, re-ordering correct item ended up costing the company $16,000 all-told.

Yes - $16,000 (this was a BIG item and shipping was almost $4,000 each way so there, back and correct one there).

Yeah - they stopped that practice pretty darn quick.

Coralreef

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »

A long, long time ago, employees were only handed out a certain number of batteries/year and had to hand in the old ones before they received new ones. The employee in question was responsible for maintaining BIG/HUGE EXPENSIVE item. He had asked for a new flashlight battery but was refused since he had already received his "quota" for the year. Batteries were indeed quite expensive back then and he couldn't just go out and buy one at the local store for whatever reason.

Thus - he was unable to correctly read the teeny serial number for BIG item and ordered and had shipped in a BIG item, which of course was the incorrect BIG item (close, but no way would it fit in the space), it had to be shipped back and a new correct BIG item shipped in. Hence - ordering, paying for, receiving, sending back, re-ordering correct item ended up costing the company $16,000 all-told.

Yes - $16,000 (this was a BIG item and shipping was almost $4,000 each way so there, back and correct one there).

"For want of a nail..." 

[/right

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »

"For want of a nail..." 

More like "for want of a brain" or would that be "any common sense"?!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

greencat

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2014, 03:44:40 AM »

"For want of a nail..." 

I think that CoralReef was referring to the long proverb/short poem addressing the idiocy of people who skimp on the little things:

For want of a nail the (horse)shoe was lost.
For want of a (horse)shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2014, 09:52:50 AM »

"For want of a nail..." 

I think that CoralReef was referring to the long proverb/short poem addressing the idiocy of people who skimp on the little things:

For want of a nail the (horse)shoe was lost.
For want of a (horse)shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

I caught that joke, I was trying to make another one...

And I have seen similar mistakes made - usually not quite as expensive, though.  Except the time VorGuy tried running a car with less than a quart of oil in it for a few weeks...that was less money total even though it might have been the same percentage of our budget as the $16K was for the company!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
My boss tried to pull something like this one me, back before I grew a spine. We do a quarterly filing, and have to send a CD with data on it to certain recipients. I am in charge of coordinating the filing, including burning the CDs. I think there are 10 each time, so 40 a year. Plus, we sometimes have other random filings we need to burn CDs for. So to make it easier on me, I'd try  and order enough at a time, for the year.

I can't tell you how many times he questioned me on the need for so many, when we only used 10 per filing. it never got through his head that it was actually cheaper to order in bulk, and more efficient, rather than ordering 10 at a time.

We also have other filings which need to be copied, and placed in binders. I'd send it down to our mailroom, and let them make the call whether they could do it, or send it out. We have money in our budget for such things, but he'd always give me grief about having the copy place put the stuff in the binders, rather than me doing it.  And mind you, this was a once a year thing, and the cost was actually quite reasonable. But he acted, in both instances, like it was coming out of his pocket.

Now? I just do it, and don't tell him. I don't see any of the invoices, and neither does he, as its billed directly to our dept, and as I am the one who does our budget, its not an issue. I also, on the rare occasion he'll grumble about how much things cost, have started using the phrase "it's not an efficient use of my time" aka waste of my time, to do these things myself. And it shuts him right up!

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: How to get Human Resources to provide supplies? UPDATE #73
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
Two other women have been moved to my wing.  Apparently, we are all clean people.  Once again, we are out of soap.  One of the women bought a bottle for the office.  I appreciate her generosity, but want to beat my head against my desk -- why can't the employer provide soap?

<beats head repeatedly on desk>
Formerly Mrs.Bart

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: How to get Human Resources to provide supplies? UPDATE #73
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
No. Stop buying basic supplies for the office. That's the same as turning around and handing your employer part of your paycheck.

If there is a restroom in the building that has soap, you all need to use that restroom, even if it is on another floor at the other end of the building. Or take your soap container to that restroom and fill it from the supply there. Or if you do buy basic supplies, put them on an expense report and get reimbursed.

The fact that supplies are available to certain employees and not others, or when the Supply Czar wants something means that supplies are available. She just doesn't want to give them out.

Complain to your boss. "We haven't had soap in our bathroom for 4 days. Walking to the other end of the building is beginning to cut into our productive time. Can I expense a bottle of soap? Or do you have any suggestions?"

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn