Author Topic: How to get Human Resources to provide supplies? FINAL UPDATE 106  (Read 25819 times)

amylouky

Re: How to get Human Resources to provide supplies? UPDATE #73
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »
Our school district slashed the supply lists this year. Parents no longer are asked to provide tissues, hand sanitizer, dry erase markers, and other miscellaneous classroom supplies. Just the basics for their child.. notebooks, folder, pencils, crayons..

It's not coincidental that this follows a well publicized audit of our school district which revealed that the school system was not using money in the ways that it was supposed to.

I just hope they truly start supplying what the teachers need and the costs don't come out of the teachers' pocket.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: How to get Human Resources to provide supplies? tiny UPDATE #23
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2014, 03:03:46 PM »
My boss tried to pull something like this one me, back before I grew a spine. We do a quarterly filing, and have to send a CD with data on it to certain recipients. I am in charge of coordinating the filing, including burning the CDs. I think there are 10 each time, so 40 a year. Plus, we sometimes have other random filings we need to burn CDs for. So to make it easier on me, I'd try  and order enough at a time, for the year.

I can't tell you how many times he questioned me on the need for so many, when we only used 10 per filing. it never got through his head that it was actually cheaper to order in bulk, and more efficient, rather than ordering 10 at a time.

We also have other filings which need to be copied, and placed in binders. I'd send it down to our mailroom, and let them make the call whether they could do it, or send it out. We have money in our budget for such things, but he'd always give me grief about having the copy place put the stuff in the binders, rather than me doing it.  And mind you, this was a once a year thing, and the cost was actually quite reasonable. But he acted, in both instances, like it was coming out of his pocket.

Now? I just do it, and don't tell him. I don't see any of the invoices, and neither does he, as its billed directly to our dept, and as I am the one who does our budget, its not an issue. I also, on the rare occasion he'll grumble about how much things cost, have started using the phrase "it's not an efficient use of my time" aka waste of my time, to do these things myself. And it shuts him right up!

I had a colleague who couldn't grasp the "buy in bulk" concept when it came to donuts.

He'd see me coming with a dozen donuts, and complain that there were only 10 people in the meeting. Why was I buying two extra? There was no need, it just made people fight over who got the two extra ones.

Then one day he was sent out for donuts, and came back astonished that 12 came cheaper than 10.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Aquamarine

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »
I would consider reporting them to the Health Dept. for not providing soap in the bathrooms.  This is contrary to public health requirements and standards that business are to maintain.  At least discuss it with them, this is not an acceptable situation and if it requires the Health Dept. to force their hands then so be it.

In the meantime use a bathroom that has soap even if that means going way out of your way to do so.  I would email my boss and let them know the location staff is having to travel to wash their hands, so they can't claim they weren't aware.  Whatever you do, do not buy your own supplies, this is not your responsibility and just rewards their cheapness.

Save every note, interaction and email you send for future reference, forward email to another mailbox so they can't disappear.  You may need this information in the future, hopefully you won't.  Eliminate every possibility that gives them "plausible deniability".

Every time you need a paperclip, pen, tape, printer paper or staple go to HR and request them.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

lkdrymom

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Is it possible for you to submit employee expense vouchers for anything you pay for out of pocket?

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
OP Here:  I nag until the HR lady gets more, but was out of the office on Friday.  I did go to the washroom HR lady uses -- someone had 'extended' the soap (i.e. added 2 parts water) to get that bottle through the day.  Nice soap buying colleague (who makes just over minimum wage) pointed out that the soap was just a dollar at Wal-Mart and she was tired of nagging.  I know we need to stand united in the nagging.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2014, 06:22:24 PM »
OP Here:  I nag until the HR lady gets more, but was out of the office on Friday.  I did go to the washroom HR lady uses -- someone had 'extended' the soap (i.e. added 2 parts water) to get that bottle through the day.  Nice soap buying colleague (who makes just over minimum wage) pointed out that the soap was just a dollar at Wal-Mart and she was tired of nagging.  I know we need to stand united in the nagging.

So at this point it's time to go above her head.  You shouldn't have to, but it's obvious she isn't getting it. 

Goog

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2014, 08:51:43 PM »
Perhaps it should be pointed out to TPTB that it would be a horrendous loss in productivity if all of the employees were forced to go to the nearest public restroom a few times a day just because the employer couldn't be bothered to provide adequate sanitary measures for the company bathrooms. 

Seriously, what does this 'gatekeeper' say when someone says they need soap?

I realized that nobody wants to be "that" person, but is there someone who could act clueless?  "The restroom is out of soap and I really need to go." Gatekeeper says she'll order some.  "No, I really need to go NOW. How am I supposed to wash my hands afterwards?  I can't go until I know there's some soap in the bathroom."  Gatekeeper is unresponsive.  "You mean I have to use the restroom and I won't even be able to wash my hands adequately?" (Crosses legs.)  "Well, I suppose I could run down to the police station or the fire department and ask to use their bathrooms.  They're the closest public places, right?  Okay, well will you just tell my boss why I'll be gone for the next 20 minutes?"

I think the Gatekeeper needs to be put on the spot and have it be made VERY uncomfortable for her for a while.

At a previous job, we had a new product that used a personal computer (mid 90s).  But we didn't even have a personal computer in the office, just a proprietary word processor.  Yet we were supposed to support this PC program?  Yeah, right.  I brought my own PC into the office.  Really did a lot.  Still didn't make any difference in how I was treated though.  Not even extra kudos for bringing in my OWN equipment to do the job.  So the only way to get through is to make it tough or uncomfortable for them.

Another Sarah

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2014, 05:18:04 AM »

So at this point it's time to go above her head.  You shouldn't have to, but it's obvious she isn't getting it.

I agree. This is beyond an inconvenience now, it's costing productivity and is just getting silly. Just a warning though - I think you might have to be prepared for the response to be "you take it over then" if you're the one who makes the most noise - I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, just it's a possibility if HR lady was stuck with this job by default.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »

Stop nagging, ask once in writing and on the second attempt CC her supervisor with 2nd Attempt clearly visible. 

It's time for a "team" meeting to discuss the aggravation over this minor issue that's becoming a major problem.  Productivity is slowed down by the mere dispensing of toilet paper and hand soap - basic requirements for any office.  I can't believe the higher ups haven't gotten wind of this baloney and stepped in. 

It's just outrageous, anyone with any management experience knows that these "little" things are what start killing team productivity! 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2014, 06:45:38 AM »
I know you said earlier in the thread that your boss has laughed at you when you've complained about the lack of supplies.

The next time he's in the office, I think you should arrange a sit-down meeting with him. Best if you can get 2 or 3 others to join you. Spell out for him exactly what the problem is. He isn't seeing it, because a) he works at a different location and b) the Supply Czar does give out supplies to those employees she deems of a significantly higher rank.

Tell him bluntly that this needs to stop. Time is being wasted as people trek across the building so they can do something as basic as wash their hands. You are scrounging pens wherever you can find them--and that takes time.

The supplies are there. Ask your boss for help in breaking through the log jam that the HR person is creating.

If he won't help, look him in the eye and ask him who can.

I'd also start making the lack of supplies more publicly known. Post a big sign on the restroom door--"No soap today." And put a date on the sign, so anyone looking at it will know just how long the restroom has been without soap.

Start walking around to your co-workers desks. "Do you have a highlighter I can have? No? Does Cindy? Does Sally?"

Do your best to expose HR Lady's reluctance to supply her co-workers with the basic tools to do their jobs.

Basic restroom and office supplies are a part of every job. It's ridiculous that you can't get these.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
I know you said earlier in the thread that your boss has laughed at you when you've complained about the lack of supplies.

The next time he's in the office, I think you should arrange a sit-down meeting with him. Best if you can get 2 or 3 others to join you. Spell out for him exactly what the problem is. He isn't seeing it, because a) he works at a different location and b) the Supply Czar does give out supplies to those employees she deems of a significantly higher rank.

Tell him bluntly that this needs to stop. Time is being wasted as people trek across the building so they can do something as basic as wash their hands. You are scrounging pens wherever you can find them--and that takes time.

The supplies are there. Ask your boss for help in breaking through the log jam that the HR person is creating.

I'd also start making the lack of supplies more publicly known. Post a big sign on the restroom door--"No soap today." And put a date on the sign, so anyone looking at it will know just how long the restroom has been without soap.

Start walking around to your co-workers desks. "Do you have a highlighter I can have? No? Does Cindy? Does Sally?"

Do your best to expose HR Lady's reluctance to supply her co-workers with the basic tools to do their jobs.

Basic restroom and office supplies are a part of every job. It's ridiculous that you can't get these.

Oh yes, so this !

nayberry

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »

Oh yes, so this !

i'd also follow this up with daily emails to hr asking when the supplies will be in, bonus points if each person it affects sends one.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »
I wonder if it would be too snarky to post the sign on the bathroom: "No soap today.  Please see HR for details."  Or perhaps the less snarky version, "No soap today.  Please see HR if you wish to put in a supplies request."

whatsanenigma

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2014, 11:22:03 AM »
I wonder if it would be too snarky to post the sign on the bathroom: "No soap today.  Please see HR for details."  Or perhaps the less snarky version, "No soap today.  Please see HR if you wish to put in a supplies request."

Or, if you wanted to go even softer, the sign could say "If you find that this restroom has run out of any supplies or otherwise needs attention, please notify HR."

whatsanenigma

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »

Also, this is very unsanitary.  What will end up happening is that either people will use that restroom and then walk to wherever there is a sink with soap, spreading germs along the way, or they will go directly to another restroom that does have soap, wasting even more time.  A third possibility is that the soap will be used but diluted, interfering with the ability of the soap to handle germs.

A fourth possibility is that people will just use that restroom and then not wash their hands at all....which does not bear thinking about.  Unless somebody has a skin condition that means s/he needs to use their own special soap or none at all or whatever, not washing hands at all after doing one's "business" is just gross, IMHO.

Maybe you could find one of those flyers on the internet or somewhere that details how you are supposed to wash your hands to avoid spreading germs, and post it in the restroom.  That will call people's attention even more to the fact that you all actually need soap.  Cold and flu season will be starting in a few months and productivity will go way down if everyone is out sick with something or other.  It will also be expensive to the company if you all get paid sick leave.

And to refer back to another part of your comment that I snipped for length, imagine how bad it would be if word got around that the people in this department struggle with being able to wash their hands properly.  I don't know if it's a situation where other employees could then avoid you completely, but at the very least this would make them reluctant, and affect morale.

Bottom line, I think this is a classic case of "penny wise, pound foolish" and until it is really driven home how many of those proverbial pounds are being wasted, this silliness will probably continue.

ETA: Aquamarine also made good points about this subject.