News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 11:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Too "overweight" to attend a wedding  (Read 38628 times)

kategillian

Re: Too "overweight" to attend a wedding
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
DO NOT give this horrible person a present, a card, or your regrets! She doesn't deserve any of that! This is a cut direct situation.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:11:26 PM by kategillian »

Mergatroyd

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:54 PM »
That's awful. This isn't ehell approved, but I hope all the guests from his side of the family are obese and charming enough to make her feel small for not inviting you. How dare she?

cicero

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 02:05:33 AM »
A "friend" sent me an invitation to her bridal shower but not to her wedding. She told me when I saw her that I was "too overweight" to attend. We are in a group of four friends that regularly hang out and socialize with and without our significant others. The other girls in my group were all invited-but are also all size 0.
My boyfriend told me not to go to the bridal shower as it was a way to get more gifts. Why would someone say that?!
she actually said that to you? how horrible!

I've heard of brides who only wanted "thin" bridesmaids (which i also think is horrible) or wouldn't allow bridesmaids with curly hair or whatever. but this is really mean and oh so rude.

Your BF is absolutely right. what about the other "friends" in the group? are they supporting the bride in her actions?

Please don't go to this shower and don't buy a gift. she has told you that she isn't a true friend.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 04:07:23 AM »
As other posters have stated, this woman is not your friend.  Her behavior is selfish, shallow and vile.

I know that it's always hard when what you thought was a good friendship turns out not to be - <<hugs>>

Thipu1

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »
I sincerely doubt that every relative who should be invited to the Wedding will be 'red carpet worthy'. 

Will dear, generous Aunt Louise who needs a scooter be denied access to this magnificent event?  How about Uncle George who uses a walker or Cousin John who lost an arm in the military?

I agree with everyone else who has posted before.  This is not a friend.  She's manipulative, self-centered and greedy.  Send regrets to the shower invitation and, if anyone asks why tell them the flat-out truth. 

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
Sounds like this bride would be better off calling a modeling agency or Central Casting and hiring model-perfect guests.

Twik

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:56 AM »
Sounds like this bride would be better off calling a modeling agency or Central Casting and hiring model-perfect guests.

To be fair, she may have come down with Wedding Divaitis, a disease that develops out of prolonged exposure to magazines and websites that insist you must have weddings that compare to the Kardashians, and is often exacerbated by the stress of trying to do so. However, even people suffering from such an illness should strive to behave decently to those who have always been there for them.

It's one thing for a formerly normal person to melt down because the wedding colours as Gold and Dusty Pink, and the napkins only come in Pink That Has Been Housecleaned. It's another thing entirely  when you start telling people they are not physically perfect enough for your wedding, *but* good enough to offer you material tribute at showers.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Vall

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 11:48:01 AM »
This is so rude and hurtful that I can't help thinking that perhaps she meant something else.  I just can't imagine a person not inviting someone to their wedding due to their weight.  Surely not every family member and friend is at their ideal weight.  Using this criteria would make us not invite more than half of my DH's closest family members.  Actually, it would include both of us too.

If someone said this to me, I'd be very hurt and shocked.  I definitely wouldn't go to the shower or associate with this person anymore.  Life's too short to be around people this shallow and hurtful.

KenveeB

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
Definitely don't go to the shower! I wouldn't bring it up and look like you're trying to cause trouble, but if anyone asks if you'll be attending either the shower or the wedding, I would very matter-of-factly answer. Let her actions speak for themselves.

kategillian

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »

To be fair, she may have come down with Wedding Divaitis, a disease that develops out of prolonged exposure to magazines and websites that insist you must have weddings that compare to the Kardashians, and is often exacerbated by the stress of trying to do so.

Yeah, sorry, but forget that ( I so want to say that a different way). I can understand getting upset about not getting your dream dress or the perfect color flowers that you've been dreaming about your whole life, and flipping out about that. (Kind of). But what this person said it to the OP is so mean and petty, I have to wonder if this is the first time she's ever said anything like that? I can't imagine any of my true friends even thinking something like that, let alone saying it to someone else, let alone saying it to me!

breny

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
Like Maya Angelou said, when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

DanaJ

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »
Are they ziplining to the wedding location, and it has a max weight limit? That's the only way I could see where a guest's weight would matter.

The wedding will be held in a cave. You have to belly crawl through a narrow opening with a strict size restriction. The best man has broad shoulders, so he's just going to lop off one arm in order to attend.

But seriously, drop this "friend" like a hot potato. She is so shallow and self-absorbed she might not even notice. Oh, wait! She will when she's tallying her bridal shower loot and there's no gift from you.

Be sure to take the high road and decline to attend the shower with a proper RSVP. Then be sure to lose her phone number and email address. That's worthy of a cut direct, without doubt.

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
Nah, don't LOSE it, set it to silence and/or spam, clearly labeled as such, so you don't answer the phone/email from her!
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

Jocelyn

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »
Everyone else has already said it all.
But can I ask that if she contacts you again, you give us an update? >:D

Twik

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »
Are they ziplining to the wedding location, and it has a max weight limit? That's the only way I could see where a guest's weight would matter.

The wedding will be held in a cave. You have to belly crawl through a narrow opening with a strict size restriction. The best man has broad shoulders, so he's just going to lop off one arm in order to attend.

But seriously, drop this "friend" like a hot potato. She is so shallow and self-absorbed she might not even notice. Oh, wait! She will when she's tallying her bridal shower loot and there's no gift from you.

Be sure to take the high road and decline to attend the shower with a proper RSVP. Then be sure to lose her phone number and email address. That's worthy of a cut direct, without doubt.

Yes, and they wanted to have one of those cute pet ring bearers, but they only have a Labrador retriever who won't fit, so they'll have a Ring Snake instead.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."