Author Topic: Phone chargers  (Read 572 times)

Carotte

Phone chargers
« on: August 01, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
I've just came up with a oh so important question  :P.
Due to an UE regulation nowadays, phones sold in the UE have to have a micro USB charger (or in the case of the Iphone come with an adapter I think).
It's been a blessing, no more "do you have a samsung?" "no, only a nokia charger for the X46T, not the X34T"... You're always bound to find someone that can lend you a charger.

What about the rest of the world?
Manufacturers were perfectly happy to sell you their own chargers and I guess apart from a knockoff you had to buy a specific charger from them.
Now you can reuse or buy anywhere but in the end it might be cheaper for the manufacturers to provide a micro-usb charger that they can buy from any supplier - supplier that now only has one model making it quite cost effective.

So I'm wondering if some phone manufacturers wised up and put the micro-usb  on all their phone or still stick to a proprietary charger because they can?

Seven Ate Nine

Re: Phone chargers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »
In the US, most manufacturers have gone to the micro-usb charger.  The only notable exception that I know about is Apple.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
Re: Phone chargers
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
It is kind of nice having "everything" use the same micro-b or mini-b connector.  (I call them "thin" and "fat"  :-).)

And since every device I buy supplies a cable, I have ziplock bags full of these two types of connectors in a drawer which can be handed out willy-nilly to those in need.

The one exception is my Dell Jukebox, which has a totally bizarre charger cord - which I can never, ever lose, forget, or damage.