Author Topic: Response to "thank you" in Australia/New Zealand  (Read 1554 times)

Leafy

Re: Response to "thank you" in Australia/New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »
OP your post really made me think because I use "no worries", "no problem", and "you're welcome", and with my friends "no problemo" for a bit of variety. When I think about I use no worries and no problem in work situations when someone thanks me for doing my job. I think that I'm saying 'no need to thank me, it wasn't a big deal'. However, if I have done something that I didn't have to do to help someone out such as hold a door open, or pick up something they have dropped I am more likely to say "you're welcome" because they are thanking me for 'extra' effort that I have gone to. In other words, what Another Sarah said.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
I concur!  We say "no worries" meaning it's our pleasure, it hasn't bothered us, whatever we've assisted you with or you're thanking us for is given freely - in other words, you're welcome!

In general we are much more informal in our speech.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 04:36:06 AM »
i am surprised that you also didn't get "sweet as", which I hear more and more frequently.  We just have a more relaxed attitude down under.