News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lunch Drama  (Read 27285 times)

Twik

Re: Lunch Drama
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
Another point I thought of - there are a certain number of seats, yes? So, if they let everything go "first come, first served," and an unexpectedly large crowd shows up, then people who had registered would show up, only to find there was no lunch OR seating available for them.

I really think that if you're taking registrations and giving confirmations, you need to make sure that people who register get what they thought they were getting. Otherwise, you may as well make it a drop-in arrangement.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

mich3554

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2014, 04:02:47 PM »
I don't understand this woman at all. The meeting was 90 minutes. Most people go more than 90 minutes without food during the day. (Well, not me, but I have a chocolate problem.) I have some issues and the provided lunches are hardly ever anything I can eat. So I plan things knowing that. She was really outside the meeting crying about no lunch? Normal people don't do that. It seems so unprofessional. If you came for a meeting then go to the meeting. Deal with the food problem after the meeting.

It isn't the point of not eating for 90 minutes.  It's the point that many make arrangements to eat at the seminar and that would be the only chance to eat.  If lunch was not going to be served at the seminar, I would have brought my own.  BUT when I RSVP'ed to the sponsor that I was coming and asked what sandwich I wanted in my box lunch, I assumed that my lunch had been covered.

When this happened to me, I was in the middle of running an experiment and I had a 2 hour incubation.  I set things up such that I could go to the seminar and would have time to get back to my lab to do the next step.   For me, it's not a matter of going without food for 90 minutes, it's a matter of going without food for 14 hours (8 am - 10 pm), as I had class immediately after work.  I can't eat in the lab, I have to leave the facility to eat and I could not leave due to what was going on that day.

mich3554

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »
mich3554, that was awful. And now you're left to make a very difficult decision: miss the lecture or starve. I hope you complained to whoever was offering the seminar and your own management, I would avoid these people like the plague after this...

I did.

eltf177

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2014, 06:00:58 AM »
mich3554, that was awful. And now you're left to make a very difficult decision: miss the lecture or starve. I hope you complained to whoever was offering the seminar and your own management, I would avoid these people like the plague after this...

I did.

Any sort of apology or explanation?

LadyClaire

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2014, 10:02:43 AM »
We actually just had this exact situation happen at work (minus the very vocal ticked off woman). We had an event and asked that people RSVP for the purpose of figuring out how much food we needed. I work for a university, and the event was geared towards professors. Well, some of the professors figured they'd bring their graduate students along with them, but didn't RSVP for the students, and no one limited who could take a box lunch.  Enough people did that that several who had RSVPd were without lunch. We had even ordered some extra lunches as a "just in case" backup, but we were still about 10 lunches short.

We're now making it policy that in order to get fed, you have to RSVP. No RSVP equals no food. We're probably going to implement a ticket system for it. You register, and when you pick up your name badge you get a ticket to go through the lunch line.

tinkytinky

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
It wouldn't be hard for them to print out stickers with the names of people who RSVP'd and put them on the lunch box/bag. then the overflow would be first come, first served. This has the added bonus of letting you know of people that RSVP and don't show up several times in a row. That can be addressed as well.

(However, I know that OP doesn't have anything to do with that. May be a suggestion that could be made thought.)

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »
We actually just had this exact situation happen at work (minus the very vocal ticked off woman). We had an event and asked that people RSVP for the purpose of figuring out how much food we needed. I work for a university, and the event was geared towards professors. Well, some of the professors figured they'd bring their graduate students along with them, but didn't RSVP for the students, and no one limited who could take a box lunch.  Enough people did that that several who had RSVPd were without lunch. We had even ordered some extra lunches as a "just in case" backup, but we were still about 10 lunches short.

We're now making it policy that in order to get fed, you have to RSVP. No RSVP equals no food. We're probably going to implement a ticket system for it. You register, and when you pick up your name badge you get a ticket to go through the lunch line.
That's the fair way to do it.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
The few times we've had major issues, such as when a venue got it wrong and tried to provide a delegate with a meal that contained all of her allergens rather than none of them  :o   

:o ::) ;D "Here you go, ma'am, it's your special shellfish, peanut butter, and gluten extravaganza!"
Shrimp Pad Thai?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

AuntyEm

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »
This is why people who deal with the public and HR should get paid the big bucks. 

The special diet people need to get over themselves unless it was specifically offered and reserved.  The late person was disappointed not to get her lunch but she wasn't a 2 year old.  Sometimes stuff happens and you just need to be graceful about it.  The ones sniffing the box lunches and asking what was in there were also acting like greedy children.   That's why I'm the accountant...the numbers don't whine and act snowflaky.

I can't imagine too many places you could go to today for a business meeting where there isn't somewhere you can grab something to eat on the run--unless the law firm was in the middle of a forest.

blarg314

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »

I can't imagine too many places you could go to today for a business meeting where there isn't somewhere you can grab something to eat on the run--unless the law firm was in the middle of a forest.

I think the problem is that to get that something to eat, it might be a five-ten minute walk, then standing in line, ordering, getting your food, carrying it back to the meeting. I work on a large and very busy campus with loads of food options. Leaving the office to get lunch and bring it back takes a minimum of 15 minutes. Fitting that in when your lunch break is filled with a seminar is the problem.

If you know there is no lunch provided, you can bring something from home or pick up something on the way to work. But being told that lunch is provided and not getting it can easily mean not eating that day, unless your employer is pretty flexible about times.

Jocelyn

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
OK, well, it sounds like she made a lot more fuss than necessary - I simply would have left and got some lunch - however, I'm having a hard time thinking of her as snowflakey when your company didn't cater enough boxed lunches for the number of people who registered, especially if you were giving lunches to people who hadn't. That doesn't seem like particularly good form to me. If I've registered for an event with a lunch, I would expect to get one, and not have my lunch given away to people who hadn't even registered.
OTOH, she was 30 minutes late. I think it was SS of her to believe that late for a lunchtime event, that one's complimentary lunch would still be waiting. I'd hold the lunches for a reasonable amount of time (say, 15 minutes) and then make them available to the drop-ins. Otherwise, what is the company supposed to do, hold the lunch all the way through the meeting, leaving some of the attendees with no lunch?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
OK, well, it sounds like she made a lot more fuss than necessary - I simply would have left and got some lunch - however, I'm having a hard time thinking of her as snowflakey when your company didn't cater enough boxed lunches for the number of people who registered, especially if you were giving lunches to people who hadn't. That doesn't seem like particularly good form to me. If I've registered for an event with a lunch, I would expect to get one, and not have my lunch given away to people who hadn't even registered.
OTOH, she was 30 minutes late. I think it was SS of her to believe that late for a lunchtime event, that one's complimentary lunch would still be waiting. I'd hold the lunches for a reasonable amount of time (say, 15 minutes) and then make them available to the drop-ins. Otherwise, what is the company supposed to do, hold the lunch all the way through the meeting, leaving some of the attendees with no lunch?

Well if the lunches were only given to people who had RSVP'd then no one would be out of a lunch. 

I think the issue is that more people showed up than RSVP'd.  Those who showed up without an RSVP were given the lunches of those who did RSVP.  That's not cool

Jocelyn

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
I think that those who registered properly should recieve a lunch.

At least in my field, there's usually about 10% of the folks who register who no-show. It could be an equally bad PR event to have the intern guarding 10 lunches, refusing to give them out to the drop-ins, and have them still be left on the registration table at the end of the event. Not to mention, wasteful, as they've been sitting out at room temp.

Margo

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2014, 08:08:18 AM »
Going forward, I would advertise that if you don't RSVP, you won't get a lunch unless there are some left after all the people who did RSVP get theirs, as long as they arrive within 30 minutes of the start time.  And add a line about not being able to accommodate allergies and dietary needs.

That way, everyone knows they need to a) RSVP and b) be relatively on time.  Those that don't, take their chances that they don't get lunch.  And those who require a specific diet know to bring their own.

If I had to pay for the seminar, I'd feel differently.  I would expect my needs to be met, whether that is gluten free, veg*n, nut free, etc.  But for a free lunch & learn?  You're lucky to be offered lunch at all.  At my workplace, they are all BYOL.

I don't blame the woman for being upset that she didn't get a lunch when she expected one but the histrionics were uncalled for.  And it certainly wasn't the OP's fault.

This is more or less where I stand, too. I would probably expect even a free lunch to be able to cater for vegetarians, as that is both fairly easy and very common, although I would think it would not be unreasonable for there to be a limited number of vegetarian lunches on a first come, first served, basis.

I think it is only reasonable to expect things such as veganism, gluten/lactose free etc to be accommodated if the request has been made in advance.

OP, can you suggest that the arrangement are changed either to provide that lunches are available only to those who register by [date/time] or alternatively to suggest that the booking forms / invitations are amended to start every clearly that lunches are provided on a first-come, first-served basis and that regrettably special dietary needs cannot be catered for but that participants are welcome to bring their own food.

I personally would be inclined to favour an arrangements whereby food was ordered only for the people who pre-registered, but I think it depends a little on what the event is - if the real reason for running it is to use it as a networking opportunity, then you want people to be happy, and it may be worth spending a bit more to ensure that there is enough for everyone, or else scheduling for a different time when snacks rather than a meal would be appropriate.