News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Work thank you's. I messed up.  (Read 3385 times)

MOM21SON

Work thank you's. I messed up.
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:35:27 PM »
I just returned to work today after being off for bereavement leave.  Last Thursday I received a plant basket from my team.  It had one persons name, the person that placed the order.  On the other side of the card, it said from Your team.

Because I obviously work there and have been in on things like this, I know everyone doesn't contribute. which is perfectly fine. 

Here's where I messed up, I think.  I thought about writing a group thank you note to pass around, but didn't think that was meaningful enough.  Then I thought about individual thank you notes, but didn't want anyone to feel awkward.  There are about 15 people.

So the first person I saw was the lady that did the ordering.  I thanked her and told her how beautiful the basket was.  She said, "Well, they are from the whole team."  I said, yes I know, it was very thoughtful.

Out of the 5 other people I saw today, 2 said, "your welcome, but I was out and didn't contribute."  The other 3 said your welcome and asked how I was.   

The rest of this week I will see the rest of my team.  What can I do better?

TIA

Lynn2000

Re: Work thank you's. I messed up.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
How do you feel that you messed up? If anything it was the two people who were overly honest and said, "Don't thank me, I didn't contribute," who made things awkward, if there was awkwardness. I think thanking everyone personally and individually was a very nice gesture on your part. You weren't meant to know exactly who contributed and who didn't, that's why the card was just signed "your team." If people choose to specify the part they played in it and you feel weird, that's not your fault.

Sorry for your loss. :(
~Lynn2000

gramma dishes

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
I agree with Lynn2000.

If there was awkwardness, it wasn't caused by you.  I think you did/are doing fine.

It might have been helpful if the people who went in on it had had some way to sign their names, or if there was a general fund taken up once a year from which such purchases are made on behalf of "the team" so that everyone really did contribute equally.

But you're fine as you are.  Proceed.   :)

MOM21SON

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:02:05 PM »
Thank you!  DH agrees with you ladies!

Arila

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:42:10 PM »
I don't think you did anything wrong at all.

The only thing I might suggest, and only because you asked for improvement suggestions would be to address it as a generic thank you to the whole group. (Since the gift was from the whole group, the thank you can be to the whole group) I would have done the same thing by thanking the organizer personally, though. Maybe it was a general financial contribution, but someone had to go to the additional effort of collecting, selecting and sending.

I particularly suggest that for a work thing, because too personal/1 to 1 conversations like this can have too many "feels" to be comfortable in the workplace.

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »
Where I work, people leave thank you notes addressed to the group on a bulletin board near the mailboxes where all can see them. But you did fine.

Zizi-K

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:28 PM »
Personally, I would have written a heart-felt thank you email, sent it to the group, and been done with it. I don't think a plant requires you to have separate, 5 minute conversations x 15 people, especially if you have to guess who contributed.

peaches

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
Where I work, people leave thank you notes addressed to the group on a bulletin board near the mailboxes where all can see them. But you did fine.

This is what I've seen.

It's not too late to do this, if there's a place where a note could be tacked up.

An alternative is to address a thank you note to the team, and deliver it to the organizer, along with spoken thanks to her/him.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:37:06 AM by peaches »

Fritokal

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:42:00 AM »
I just returned to work today after being off for bereavement leave.  Last Thursday I received a plant basket from my team.  It had one persons name, the person that placed the order.  On the other side of the card, it said from Your team.

Because I obviously work there and have been in on things like this, I know everyone doesn't contribute. which is perfectly fine. 

Here's where I messed up, I think.  I thought about writing a group thank you note to pass around, but didn't think that was meaningful enough.  Then I thought about individual thank you notes, but didn't want anyone to feel awkward.  There are about 15 people.

So the first person I saw was the lady that did the ordering.  I thanked her and told her how beautiful the basket was.  She said, "Well, they are from the whole team."  I said, yes I know, it was very thoughtful.

Out of the 5 other people I saw today, 2 said, "your welcome, but I was out and didn't contribute."  The other 3 said your welcome and asked how I was.   

The rest of this week I will see the rest of my team.  What can I do better?

TIA

I think the only person who did anything wrong here was whoever told you that you messed up in saying thank you! Who would do such a thing to someone who was grieving?!?

Oh Joy

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »
I would have posted the heartfelt card for all, then if someone brought up the subject of my loss in person I would have expressed my appreciation or gratitude for the basket rather than thanking them.

My condolences for your loss.