Author Topic: Leant someone my bike and now all they do is badmouth the bike  (Read 4525 times)

SmarterPrimate

Re: Leant someone my bike and now all they do is badmouth the bike
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 10:27:39 AM »
I really like all the PP's responses, but I might add something to the effect of:

"My $1100 bike? It's actually really awesome... if you use it correctly..." <pointed stare>

...going back to my corner now...

>:D

Aquamarine

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:06 AM »
When she complains about it again tell her "You've told me several times now that you don't like my bike, since you won't want to borrow it again can we just move on from this".  She's being tiresome and I would politely let her know that.  In the future never let this woman borrow anything from you.  This is not a nice woman, she is a nitpicky fault finder who obsesses over perceived "faults" and "problems", no one needs someone like this in their circle.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »
bopper says:"Maybe a less technical bike would be good for you. I understand you didn't like it, but really don't want to hear it. You asked, and I lent it to you."

Evilbopper says: "Maybe a less technical bike would be good for you.  I hear Walmart sells bikes."

tinkytinky

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
I would try the "so you've said" approach. But if they continue (because some people get their jollies just repeating things like that ) I would go with the following.

Wife #1: "That bike is a stupid kids bike. It's cheap and stupid"

you: "When I offered for you to borrow it, it was so you could feel for cycling and if it was for you. I was not selling you my bike. You were able to purchase a bike that you were comfortable with and I'm happy for you, so there is no reason to bring up your opinions of my bike again."

And if at all possible say it in front of wife #2.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

whatsanenigma

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
Maybe try something like, "Well, that style of bike isn't for everyone."

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
If one of them again tries to trash your bike in your hearing or especially if one of them again refers to it as a "junk bike," I think you should consider saying something like:
"[Friend'sWife], that bike served me well for years and has a lot of sentimental value to me. I understand that you weren't happy with it, but it is not a "junk" bike--it is a good-quality bike that I like and value very much. Please stop disparaging it in front of me."

Or perhaps, you think you can say it with good humor: "Well, I was trying to do you a favor by lending it to you, but it seems to have brought nothing but misery to everyone involved! How about I promise never to lend you another bike, and we all forget it ever happened?"

BuffaloFang

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I guess we'll wait and see if she brings it up again.  I might use of the glib retorts.  And you're right, I'm not lending them my things anymore.

And what is "locking the brakes"?

Road bikes usually have a quick release brake system so you can easily pull off the tire - what happens is the brakes are then "disengaged" so when you clamp down on them they will sort of slow you, but they don't have the force to actually brake the tire.  Not ideal.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »

"My $1100 bike? It's actually really awesome... if you use it correctly..." <pointed stare>

...going back to my corner now...

>:D

All the other responses would be good if these women weren't being so thick about the whole thing.  Given that they keep bringing it up, I love this admittedly slightly evil -- but totally correct, right? -- response.

purple

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:07 AM »
Why are you so worried about this? It's a couple of people who don't like your bike! Who cares?

Don't say anything about it.  Just ignore it.  If they say something in your presence, just don't respond.  Certainly don't go and say anything 'unprovoked'.

And don't lend them anything ever again.

perpetua

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »
I'm not sure how to respond to the first wife if she brings it up again.

I think I'd go with a deadpan "Yes, so you keep saying", like it's the most boring thing you ever heard. Although if you do want to point out to them that they're being really rude to be so ungracious about a favour you did them, I think that's OK in this instance.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »
"Actually, no, it's not cheap and horrible. It's a very nice bike. I'm sorry you had difficulty operating it properly, but that's not the bike's fault."

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

amylouky

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »
I suppose it would not be ehell approved to say, "Oh, I'm so sorry you found the bike to be horrible. Would you like a refund of the rental fee you paid?" *puzzled look* "Oh, that's right, it was a FAVOR..."

Add me to the list of people whothink it's juvenile of them to be talking about the bike. Seriously, why are they so interested?

lowspark

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
I'm not sure how to respond to the first wife if she brings it up again.

"Are you really still going on about that? I was trying to do you a favor. You might not have liked the bike, but please, let it go."

Anyway, that's probably what I would say. Not in a snarky way but sort of in a surprised way. Like, haven't we already discussed this? Why are you bringing it up again? -- And then, a reminder that it was a favor. -- And then telling her what you want, for her to let it go.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 04:47:25 PM »
I wouldn't say anything at all.  Until the time comes that she asks for another favor/another object loan.  "Oh no, I wouldn't want to put you out like last time.  Rest assured, I won't be lending you any more of my obviously inferior things.  You deserve better than that... I'm sure you can find better."

Okay Snarky, back in the box...

DanaJ

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
And what is "locking the brakes"?

Road bikes usually have a quick release brake system so you can easily pull off the tire - what happens is the brakes are then "disengaged" so when you clamp down on them they will sort of slow you, but they don't have the force to actually brake the tire.  Not ideal.

It is an easy mistake to make if you aren't used to removing your front wheel.

I have a quick-release front wheel, so I can take it off and put my bike in the back of the car when I'm going out of town. Caliper brakes are designed so the brake pads are really close to the rim (let's say the pads are 1" apart), but the tire is fatter than the rim (say 1.5" wide). So when you want to pull the wheel off, you release the brake and the space between the pads opens up so you can just fit the tire through. So when the brakes are "off" they are 1.5" apart, when they are "on" they are 1" apart.

If you forget to reset your brakes, when you need to stop you have to squeeze more to get them to touch your rim. And often they will just polish the rim nicely, but not slow you down much. It can be a little scary.

I take my wheel off and on regularly and I still forget to reset my brakes about 1/3 of the time. Usually you figure it out the first time you stop though.

It's certainly not the OP's fault that they were unfamiliar with bike brakes and couldn't troubleshoot. It was an issue of "operator error" and they should stop badmouthing a perfecty serviceable bike. Never lend them anything, including your time. (eg/ you wouldn't want to help them move in case the quality of your heavy lifting didn't meet their expectations)