News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 03:35:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Watch my bags!"  (Read 30476 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: "Watch my bags!"
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 11:49:56 PM »
I think we've mostly forgotten due to the stringent security changes implemented since 9/11, but they've been saying to hold on to your own luggage and not to watch anyone else's since way before 2001. Airports and airplanes have been terrorist targets practically as long as there have been airlines. Baggage screening was first implemented in the 70s. And let's face it, 9/11 was almost 13 years ago.

So it's surprising to me that people would still think it's ok to let their belongings out of their sight for even a minute. I sure wouldn't do it no matter how inconvenient or cumbersome. And I'd never watch someone else's stuff.

Silly to leave your bomb inside the airport after getting it through security? Airports get bombed too, not just planes. Here's an article about this happening way back in 1975, so it's nothing new.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_LaGuardia_Airport_bombing

To be honest, much of what they do to "secure" air travel does seem somewhat silly. It gives us a false sense of security. I've known people who have gone through the checkpoint and realized later they had a pocket knife or similar contraband in their luggage and had forgotten about it. But they'll confiscate your shampoo soon enough if it's over three ounces.

I guess they are doing the best they can but in the end, I think we also need to take some responsibility for safety. I just see being cavalier about our and others' belongings as irresponsible.

There are some very interesting points in this article about how different countries handle their airport security.

(Bad language ahoy!)

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-tsa-sucks-a-security-experts-perspective/
<3

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 01:16:39 AM »
I've asked other people, and I've had other people ask me. I consider it on a case-by-case basis.

But the "don't leave luggage unattended" has been in effect at least since 1991. It's not a 9/11 thing :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

veryfluffy

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »
I know someone who accidentally left his briefcase by a seat in the airport.

It was taken away by security and destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
My dad told us a woman asked him to throw something away for her at the airport.  That to me was very odd. 

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 03:19:31 PM »
I think we've mostly forgotten due to the stringent security changes implemented since 9/11, but they've been saying to hold on to your own luggage and not to watch anyone else's since way before 2001. Airports and airplanes have been terrorist targets practically as long as there have been airlines. Baggage screening was first implemented in the 70s. And let's face it, 9/11 was almost 13 years ago.

So it's surprising to me that people would still think it's ok to let their belongings out of their sight for even a minute. I sure wouldn't do it no matter how inconvenient or cumbersome. And I'd never watch someone else's stuff.

Silly to leave your bomb inside the airport after getting it through security? Airports get bombed too, not just planes. Here's an article about this happening way back in 1975, so it's nothing new.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_LaGuardia_Airport_bombing

To be honest, much of what they do to "secure" air travel does seem somewhat silly. It gives us a false sense of security. I've known people who have gone through the checkpoint and realized later they had a pocket knife or similar contraband in their luggage and had forgotten about it. But they'll confiscate your shampoo soon enough if it's over three ounces.

I guess they are doing the best they can but in the end, I think we also need to take some responsibility for safety. I just see being cavalier about our and others' belongings as irresponsible.

There are some very interesting points in this article about how different countries handle their airport security.

(Bad language ahoy!)

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-tsa-sucks-a-security-experts-perspective/

I have experienced the not knowing their own policies. They have tried repeatedly to confiscate my EPI pen. Short of a peanut oil factory I cannot think of a place I need my EPI more than economy seats on an airplane. It has a Rx label, and my doc writes a note on his Rx pad explaining I must carry it and why.

Standard response there are no bees on the planes. On time the supervisors wife had the same allergy, his people got a firm dressing down. He showed them a list of allowed medical equipment posted at their station that included EPI pens.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
I didn't realize all the scanners were taken down. Hmm... so I guess I don't need to opt out anymore.

I was flying from Germany to Dublin a few years ago and my gate was right across the room from the flight going to Tel-Aviv and I had hours to sit and wait so I was watching their security measures for a while. People would walk up to the podium, talk to the person for a long time (never did look at my watch but it was at least 5 - 10 minutes) and then go into the boarding area. no idea what they were talking about and the men walking around with the semi -automatic guns did not inspire me to get closer so I could here, but after reading the article it makes sense.

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »
A friend of ours flies to Israel a few times a year for business.  He has to take his suitcase to the airline a few days before his flight, so they can examine it at leisure...  No joke, no foolin', deadly serious.  I don't know what provisions they would make for a distress flight (family member dead or dying) but for business class, it's do it their way or don't fly their airline.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 01:16:07 PM »
I didn't realize all the scanners were taken down. Hmm... so I guess I don't need to opt out anymore.

Did someone say the scanners were taken down & I missed it?

I don't fly a lot, but they have been very present in every US airport I've been in recently. I have gone through a mix of metal detectors and scanners, but mostly scanners.

They are hardly foolproof,  though,  and I certainly wouldn't expect that a savvy smuggler wouldn't be able to sneak something past them.  I got my Swiss Army 20-tool knife past security 3+ times before someone noticed it. I had forgotten it was in my sack (and on the same trip, my husband's pocket knife made it through undetected). If lazy travelers like us don't get caught, who's to say anyone else will?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 05:07:26 PM »
I think they've been taking down some of those scanners that have the really detailed images of a person's body, and replacing them with those scanners that make a drawing that is more vague and cartoonish.  Is that what was meant by "taken down?"  I'm not sure that all have been replaced, though.  There were just too many issues with TSA agents hanging around laughing at people's bodies, private parts, etc.

My husband refuses to let our daughters fly until they get rid of the detailed scanners.  He opts out every time and always gets a ton of grief about it, his baggage inspected, and basically treated like a criminal.  Except, of course, when he flies for work in uniform (military), but having a reason to fly in uniform is rare.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »

Did someone say the scanners were taken down & I missed it?

I don't fly a lot, but they have been very present in every US airport I've been in recently. I have gone through a mix of metal detectors and scanners, but mostly scanners.

They are hardly foolproof,  though,  and I certainly wouldn't expect that a savvy smuggler wouldn't be able to sneak something past them.  I got my Swiss Army 20-tool knife past security 3+ times before someone noticed it. I had forgotten it was in my sack (and on the same trip, my husband's pocket knife made it through undetected). If lazy travelers like us don't get caught, who's to say anyone else will?

Apparently as of June 1, 2014 they removed all of the body scanners that had the detailed images of people and that scanned with a small dose of radiation like an X-Ray. Now they use other scanners that are supposed to be safer and less detailed.

Jocelyn

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 01:21:15 AM »
I've asked other people, and I've had other people ask me. I consider it on a case-by-case basis.

But the "don't leave luggage unattended" has been in effect at least since 1991. It's not a 9/11 thing :)
Sho' nuff. I was flying out of Frankfort in June of 2001, and a woman went up to the counter and just left her bags, presumably thinking they'd be put aboard the plane without her needing to actually check them. The ticket agent practically leaped the desk, to run after her, pausing only to ask me if I'd seen which way she went.
And 10 minutes before this exchange, I had purchased a lovely souvenir knife. In the airport. Yes, indeed. And my father struck up a conversation with the pilots of our flight, who were riding one of those golf carts, and who stopped to offer him a lift (he was 80 at the time). They invited him to the flight deck, and we have a great picture of him sitting in the captain's seat, wearing the captain's hat.
Ah, how times have changed.

sparksals

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 03:49:44 AM »
I'm always really early for flights - I don't fly that often and I'm completely paranoid about missing my flight due to traffic or something.  So quite often, I find myself sitting in the boarding lounge with a group of like-minded strangers.  We'll be chatting for quite a while - which I generally draw because I'm usually knitting or crocheting.  The movement helps with my nervousness.  So we get to know a little bit about each other.  If I'm asked by one of these folks, after an hour of chatting, I'll usually comply.  They offer to do the same for me but I always check my bag to minimize the amount I have to carry on and off the plane so I don't take them up on it.

But someone who just sidles up to me and asks me to watch their bag(s)?  That would be a big, fat 'No'.

Me too on all counts.   

sparksals

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 03:58:46 AM »
Sneaking a bomb through security just to leave it in boarding lounge?

The bag could have come from somewhere within the airport.  Security is not 100% airtight.  It is, however, stringent enough that someone who is up to no good might find it easier to exploit the weaknesses within the airport than trying to get something through the front door.

And a bomb going off in the boarding lounge can still kill and main and cause terror.  Anywhere that people queue or wait in numbers is an attractive target for terrorists.

I don't understand why anyone thinks its ok to watch a stranger's bag when there are regular announcements telling everyone specifically not to do it.  People shouldn't be so casual about something so important.

I think what the OP did was the safe thing--for all of us!

Well I have been sitting waiting for a flight and I have done this plenty of times.  Just because you won't do it doesn't mean others can't or won't.  I have traded the watching plenty if times with someone I habe sat beside for awhile.   

I have never heard announcements not to watch other bags.  The announcement I have heard are to report unattended bags.  If you agree to watch the aren't unattended.  It is a very common practice that I don't mind doing if I feel the person is trustworthy.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 05:34:59 AM »
I once had a gentleman sitting next to me at a departure gate suddenly turn to me and ask me to watch his hag. I said yes and the poor guy sprinted to the bathroom at top speed.

Then the boarding announcements started and I started to worry what I should do. Luckily he came back before they started to board economy.
Nothing to see here.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »

Well I have been sitting waiting for a flight and I have done this plenty of times.  Just because you won't do it doesn't mean others can't or won't.  I have traded the watching plenty if times with someone I habe sat beside for awhile.   

I have never heard announcements not to watch other bags.  The announcement I have heard are to report unattended bags.  If you agree to watch the aren't unattended. It is a very common practice that I don't mind doing if I feel the person is trustworthy.

Good luck getting the police to buy that if someone leaves you watching an illegal / unsafe bag & you don't know that at the time. Or the people you helped have slipped something into your bag.  :-X
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:37:45 PM by TeamBhakta »