Author Topic: England Royal Family Vs. President  (Read 2555 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
England Royal Family Vs. President
« on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »
Just curious if the media hounds and follows the Queen of England as much as they do the President... I've never been to England (not even a layover), so its just a curiosity.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

veryfluffy

Re: England Royal Family Vs. President
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »
The Queen isn't a particular object of media interest, so probably not. Her role is ceremonial, not political, and she doesn't say or do anything controversial. She is an 88 year old woman, so she also doesn't do anything particularly interesting or exciting.

On the other hand, if Kate Middleton cuts a half inch off the end of her hair or says she prefers milk to dark chocolate, it makes the front pages.

katycoo

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »
The Queen isn't really the equivalent policital figure to the American President either.  The Prime Minister is (who is currently David Cameron).

I also expect that, given her age, Her Majesty is out and about in public far less than POTUS giving her far less media exposure anyway.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »
It wasn't always like that for POTUS either. In the days of Kennedy people knew about his affairs, they just didn't report them.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:20 PM »
The Queen isn't a particular object of media interest, so probably not. Her role is ceremonial, not political, and she doesn't say or do anything controversial. She is an 88 year old woman, so she also doesn't do anything particularly interesting or exciting.

On the other hand, if Kate Middleton cuts a half inch off the end of her hair or says she prefers milk to dark chocolate, it makes the front pages.

Kate would get less press attention if she actually wore knickers and dress weights at every public event.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »

Kate would get less press attention if she actually wore knickers and dress weights at every public event.

Can you translate this into American for me?  :)  I know knickers is underwear, but I can't figure out dress weights (Google says it means the weight of an animal carcass).  I'm not sure if you mean that she would get less attention if she dressed more modestly (I thought she did?) or if you mean she'd get less attention if her clothes were ugly and boring, or... something else.  :)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:14:07 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think dress weights are little pieces of metal sewn into the hem of a dress to stop it flying about showing her knees.

Victoria

AnnaJ

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
I believe the poster is referring to weights that are sewn into the hems of skirts and dresses to prevent them from flying up in a wind or (in the case of the Dutchess' last incident) helicopter blades.  In the latter case there seems to be speculation as to whether she was wearing underwear or was wearing a thong...and the fact that speculation exists sort of explains why skirt weights would be a good idea.

CakeBeret

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »

Can you translate this into American for me?  :)  I know knickers is underwear, but I can't figure out dress weights (Google says it means the weight of an animal carcass).  I'm not sure if you mean that she would get less attention if she dressed more modestly (I thought she did?) or if you mean she'd get less attention if her clothes were ugly and boring, or... something else.  :)

Dress weights are tiny bits of metal that can be sewn into the hem of a skirt to help it stay in place when it meets wind resistance. Many women who are in public view have them sewn into their skirts as a matter of course. Kate tends to wear dresses with short, floaty skirts; combine that with wind from helicopter blades and now there are photos of her bare bum all over the internet. There are many other less revealing photos of her upper legs and hips as well from other incidents.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »
We have dress weights in the US too.  They're often chains that are sewn into the hem of a dress or skirt to make sure the fabric drapes properly.  I had a weighted business suit back in the 1980s but I haven't encountered dress weights since. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the clarification!  I hadn't heard about the dress malfunction so I went and looked it up.  Now I know!

PurpleFrog

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:18 AM »
Interestingly though all the British press coverage seems to have had her bottom pixilated, it was originally published by a German magazine. Ditto the topless sunbathing shots though the magazine that time was French.

They do get a lot of press coverage though. Possibly because she's prettier than David Cameron?
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

shadowfox79

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:06 AM »
Interestingly though all the British press coverage seems to have had her bottom pixilated, it was originally published by a German magazine. Ditto the topless sunbathing shots though the magazine that time was French.

They do get a lot of press coverage though. Possibly because she's prettier than David Cameron?

The younger royals, at least Kate and Prince Harry, tend to be more interesting (and yes, prettier  :)) than politicians. That said, the British press is technically restricted to only publish things "in the public interest" (which covers a lot). The topless shots were taken when Kate had a reasonable expectation of privacy, so there would have been major legal issues had they been published in the UK, quite beside the fact that we all knew what she had under there so it's not really "public interest".

The bottom shots? Yeah, dress weights in future.

lowspark

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »
Well you know, Princess Diana died while trying to escape the press, and this was after she was no longer even married to Prince Charles. I think she suffered through an unbearable amount of media attention pretty much from the minute her engagement to Charles was announced and throughout the rest of her life.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:23:37 PM »
Well you know, Princess Diana died while trying to escape the press, and this was after she was no longer even married to Prince Charles. I think she suffered through an unbearable amount of media attention pretty much from the minute her engagement to Charles was announced and throughout the rest of her life.

I have sympathy for some of the things Diana went through. Kate, though, not so much. Especially since she and her mother had been trying to net William since Kate was in her teens. The Middletons are a calculating bunch