Author Topic: Thank you letters - what do you like to receive?  (Read 1705 times)

gellchom

Re: Thank you letters - what do you like to receive?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
I didn't mean every last vendor, but for the main ones, they really appreciate it.  They keep letters thanking them and telling them they did a great job in albums, on a bulletin board on the wall, on their web sites (they ask permission for that); it's good for business, so they really appreciate them.  Builds a good relationship for next time.

Sometimes if they did an exceptional job, or I know them personally, I make a donation in their honor to a charity they like or give them a small gift.  I once baked some goodies for the desk staff at a hotel that was outstanding for our guests.

You did a great job on your thank you notes, menley!  I agree; perfectly acceptable time frame.  As you probably know, you didn't have to wait to open the gifts until after the wedding, but with such a short delay, it's inconsequential.  Some couples do the opposite of what you did: they write to each other's side.  Makes a great impression, and it's even a little flattering to the guests: "Hey, Durwood, did you see that this thank you note from Petunia and Cuthbert was written by Cuthbert? Wow, she married a jewel; I hope we get a son-in-law like that, too.  I didn't even think he'd remember who we were, and he wrote about what good dancers we are."  (Of course, Cuthbert did not, in fact, remember them at all and was given the info necessary for a personal note by Petunia.  No matter!)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that a thank you note for vendors is important. It's a business transaction - I paid for their services and tipped them, and they did their job. Certainly if they went above and beyond their responsibilities it would be nice to send them a note of appreciation, but otherwise? They're simply following the business contract.

Regarding timing of thank you notes, we wrote notes prior to the wedding for all gifts received at showers, which was the majority of our wedding presents. We saved ourselves a great deal of stress after the honeymoon as nearly 60% of our thank you notes were already sent. Those gifts that were sent to the home mostly arrived 1-2 weeks before the wedding - we waited until after the honeymoon to open them and to write the notes, but both my husband and I are quite fond of writing notes, so we had them all in the mail within 2 weeks of our honeymoon. So, the longest it could have gone without being received was approximately 5 weeks, which I think is perfectly acceptable. We divided the notes - for gifts that came from his side of the guest list, my husband wrote the notes (and I added my signature) and vice versa.

I agree with you.  I wouldn't send a thank-you note to vendors even if I thought they did a great job; isn't that what they are supposed to do?  I'd only consider doing so if I thought they really went the extra mile in satisfying a last-minute request, for example.

And your TY notes went out at a fine interval.  It's definitely easier if you have a lot of them already written by the time you get back from your honeymoon.

daen

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that a thank you note for vendors is important. It's a business transaction - I paid for their services and tipped them, and they did their job. Certainly if they went above and beyond their responsibilities it would be nice to send them a note of appreciation, but otherwise? They're simply following the business contract.

Regarding timing of thank you notes, we wrote notes prior to the wedding for all gifts received at showers, which was the majority of our wedding presents. We saved ourselves a great deal of stress after the honeymoon as nearly 60% of our thank you notes were already sent. Those gifts that were sent to the home mostly arrived 1-2 weeks before the wedding - we waited until after the honeymoon to open them and to write the notes, but both my husband and I are quite fond of writing notes, so we had them all in the mail within 2 weeks of our honeymoon. So, the longest it could have gone without being received was approximately 5 weeks, which I think is perfectly acceptable. We divided the notes - for gifts that came from his side of the guest list, my husband wrote the notes (and I added my signature) and vice versa.

I agree with you.  I wouldn't send a thank-you note to vendors even if I thought they did a great job; isn't that what they are supposed to do?  I'd only consider doing so if I thought they really went the extra mile in satisfying a last-minute request, for example.

And your TY notes went out at a fine interval.  It's definitely easier if you have a lot of them already written by the time you get back from your honeymoon.

I think that vendors would appreciate a good review on an appropriate website or facebook page in lieu of a thank-you note. Some (like my florist, for example) also appreciate a wedding photo or two that showcase their work in an actual wedding, as opposed to a photo shoot.

The pics would be on a case-by-case basis, but pretty much any business can do with a positive review.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
I don't care about the picture. It's just going to become clutter very rapidly anyway (in about 20 seconds, in my house).

I like to hear something specific about the gift, how you think it might impact your life. Something that makes me believe that you -noticed- what you received from me, and that it registered that I was the one who gave it to you. 

I'd like to hear one short, fun/funny/interesting thing about your honeymoon (or some other slightly newsy thing from you, far apart from the wedding and gift). Two sentences, max. Something that makes me feel connected to you in ways that aren't just that I got you a gift.

I personally don't care about being thanked for attending the wedding.