News:

• April 20, 2018, 07:55:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this snotty?  (Read 8945 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: Is this snotty?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
If it were me, I'd fill out the part of the application outlining my attention to detail then simply circle their error on the form.  That way you're not being snotty about pointing out their error but showing them that you noticed it.

This is what I would do, I think.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

amylouky

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
If it were me, I'd fill out the part of the application outlining my attention to detail then simply circle their error on the form.  That way you're not being snotty about pointing out their error but showing them that you noticed it.

This is what I would do, I think.

I wouldn't. That almost comes out more snotty, in my opinion.. kind of teacher-ish. Sadly, using apostrophe's  ;) inappropriately is so common that I'd be more inclined to believe it was an honest mistake and say nothing.

shhh its me

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
I wouldn't. If it is not a trap, you run the risk of offending the reviewer, especially since they could be the person that wrote the job description in the first place.

I might say something in the attention to detail section about being a great proofreader, but being very tactful with corrections and only giving corrections when asked.  :D

This I might reword it a little bit.  Maybe ," I have a great eye for detail and the wisdom to know when its appropriate to apply/inflict on others"  I'm not quite getting the second half phrased right
I wouldn't want an employee to let something that could be major go because I didn't ask for advise/critique, so I would say "only when asked." 

gellchom

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
Whether or not it was intentional, I would reply not correcting it, but indicating, hopefully with wit, not snottiness, that I noticed it, because the error was in a question about attention to detail.  "I have both excellent proof reading skills and good judgment in knowing when it's not the time to point out errors."
If you can somehow work the same word into your response, even better.

I for sure would interview you!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:04:10 PM by gellchom »

Lynnv

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:27 PM »
It has been well over 15 years since I did a job where I was involved with hiring.  I would have found someone pointing out an error in a job description or other form very annoying.  I would have found that the lack of tact in pointing it out to me would far outweigh the attention to detail that allowed the person to find the error.  I would not have interviewed someone who spent their limited "first impression" time telling me about my mistakes (or, more likely, my HR department's mistake) rather than why I should hire him/her.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »
Back in high school, science teacher pulled a pop quiz.    Handed it out (4 pages) and told us to just follow the instructions.

First instruction was to read entire test prior to doing anything.  I skimmed thru all four pages in very little time.

Yep - very last instruction was "Do nothing. Give to instructor and leave the classroom."

So I did.  Waited on the stairs for my bud - when he saw me walk out he knew something was up and found it shortly after.  We were the only two out of 35 that followed the instructions.

Ergo - it's a trap.

I really don't think that just because you once got a "trap" pop quiz in high school, it therefore automatically means that this is a trap as well. That seems like a bit of a big leap to me.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »
I either like tinkytinky's idea about mentioning it when you turn it in (if you do hand it to a receptionist, although this won't work if it's being emailed), or mentioning something along the lines of how you pay meticulous attention to detail but you have tact about errors by others when you haven't been asked for input, something along those lines.  I mean, it's one thing to pay close attention to your *own* writing and make sure that you proofread and send in a very good final copy.  It's another thing to point out errors in works of another when you weren't asked, especially in a piece of published writing.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

cheyne

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »
As someone who has hired people who must pay attention to detail (and I'm not talking about TPS reports, but life and limb attention) I would interview you first.  It's one thing to say you pay attention, it's another to actually prove it.  However, I don't work in an office so I may be an exception.

I would also be grateful that the error was pointed out so it could be corrected before the next batch of applications went out.

gramma dishes

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »

...   I might say something in the attention to detail section about being a great proofreader, but being very tactful with corrections and only giving corrections when asked.  :D

Oh!  Nicely done!   :D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
Don't do it. Calling out a potential employer is a very, very bad idea.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

bloo

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »

...   I might say something in the attention to detail section about being a great proofreader, but being very tactful with corrections and only giving corrections when asked.  :D

Oh!  Nicely done!   :D

I agree! Very nicely done.  ;)

mich3554

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »
I applied for a job at one company and they gave me an exam on lab math.  I pointed out 3 errors in their exam, only because I wanted to make sure that I gave them the correct answer.

They told me I was overqualified for the job.  Oh well.....

jpcher

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 06:15:09 PM »
This actually happened to me but the error was in the job ad. When I applied I did point it out in the e-mail that accompanied my cover letter and resume. I pointed it out in a humorous way, and they loved it! I think it snagged me the interview immediately.

I do not agree it is a trap. I believe it is a merely overlooked mistake.

I do not see a trap at all. If it was, in fact, a trap you failed by not mentioning it.

As someone who has hired people who must pay attention to detail (and I'm not talking about TPS reports, but life and limb attention) I would interview you first.  It's one thing to say you pay attention, it's another to actually prove it.  However, I don't work in an office so I may be an exception.

I would also be grateful that the error was pointed out so it could be corrected before the next batch of applications went out.

I was working for a Temp Agency (TA) for a while and on one of my 3-month assignments I had this new contraption called the Wang (word processing system) sitting on my desk. Never seeing one of these things before, I self-taught myself and became pretty proficient at it to the point where other secretaries were asking me about how certain functions worked.

I went to my TA and asked them to upgrade my status to include this new qualification. Of course, with the added skills it meant a raise and a broader set of jobs that I would be available for.

TA told me that I needed to take a test (30 questions) and I must receive 100% in order to move up to the next pay-scale level.

I got 1 question wrong.

After I asked which question, I was so sure that my answer was correct. But I almost second guessed myself and almost walked out.

Miraculously I grew a shiny spine and said "I know my answer is correct." I explained in full detail blah blah blah . . .

In the end, after TA got on the phone to corporate office due to my insisting, I was told that I was correct. I received a $1/hour raise (at that time, this was extremely rich!) and had more temp job opportunities coming my way that it was hard to decide which one to take.

Now, was that test rigged as a trap? Or was it an honest mistake on TA's part for which they thanked me for pointing it out?

OP -- Good Luck! I hope your interview goes well and crossing my fingers for you on getting the job. ;D

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 04:58:43 AM »
I noticed an error in the briefing note I was sent with a job application once. The firm was using an outside recruiter and that recruiter obviously worked for other firms aswell as the error was referring to another (rival) firm! I pointed it out in a 'by the way' comment in my cover email with all the documentation that had been requested as I thought it was important for the firm I was applying to to know that this form was going to all their applicants but with another firm's name on it! The comment was gratefully received, and I did get the job.