Author Topic: Temp etiquette  (Read 2218 times)

peaches

Re: Temp etiquette
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 03:45:51 PM »
Thanks for the insights everyone!  We've decided to go ahead and let him know that his last day is next week.  We told the temp agency and they seemed okay with it.

I think everyone is right--if it is a person who is not working out, you wait until they have left; if it is a person you like, you do them the respect of giving them a heads up, even if it is just a few days.

A happy outcome! I'm really glad.

DanaJ

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
For a short-term temp, I can uunderstand the Agency's policy, but for a temp who has been a valuable member for a year and a half it's ridiculous. The temp could possibly feel betrayed and it would not be great for an employer's reputation if valued employees are called up and told "Sorry you didn't get to say goodbye, but don't go to work on Monday."

It would come as a needless shock to someone who did a good job and would burn bridges if the employer had a suitable position in the future. I would rather stay on good terms with a hard-working, well-liked employee. The Agency's policy would sour that relationship.

I'm glad you went with your instinct to do the right thing!

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
It would be incredibly inconvenient to both the employee and the employer to either have that employee come back to get their personal articles

Yeah.  I remember a couple cases where the person showed up the next morning unannounced to pick up their personal items.  awkward   :-[ :-\

Arila

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »
Or, as happened at the office where my sister worked, the temp showed up the next Monday not knowing their contract had been terminated! ::)

Betelnut

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 08:13:07 PM »
Whew! I told him today during a break (no one else was around).  He was not surprised since we've had a major slowdown in work (partially due to his help in getting us caught up) and we had discussed the issue before albeit more casually.  He seemed okay with it.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh!  We have had to "let go" temps before (not in my department) because they simply were not working out.  But they had only been coming for 2-3 weeks at the most. 
Native Texan, Marylander currently