News:

• April 19, 2018, 01:23:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: We're Recycling! No Professional Envelope For You!  (Read 8315 times)

Yarnspinner

We're Recycling! No Professional Envelope For You!
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
Honestly, I don't even think Stonecold was recycling...I think she just didn't think. 

There is no question, I just have to share what I believe to be a gross breech of professional etiquette.  (All of us are laughing about it because we have to laugh.)

Thanks to what SHOULD be a union victory for us (a victory which Stonecold managed to subvert) , people who have been doing the jobs of others well outside their classification zone are either being promoted (barely) or being returned to their regular duties.  For some reason, though I was never working outside my job classification, I have been transferred as well (and I can't tell you how thrilled I am since I will not be dealing with the reality challenged and logic impaired any longer).

Every one of us received a form letter with our new assignment (but no indication of what we are supposed to be DOING which was one of the union specifications that were supposed to be met) and every last one of them, instead of being delivered in professional stationary envelopes arrived on our desks (or into our hands--Stoney handed me mine, personally) in the return envelopes that come with your utility bills.  Mine was stuffed into an electric utility bill.  One friend's letter came in the water bill envelope.  My immediate supervisor received his in one of those envelopes that fall out of mail order catalogs with the address already printed in.   The company name was crossed out and his written in.

Like I said:  no etiquette question.  Some folks think that because Stonecold is always big on recycling that this is what she is trying to do.  Most of us agree that it is something of a slap in the face given the ways she has managed to circumvent the union agreement.  A few of us wonder if, oh, shouldn't we be using the envelopes to, you know, pay the actual bills.  (Yeah, it's done electronically, but still...).  And ALL of us had a field day calling each other to say "And which utility bill did YOU get?")

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: We're Recycling! No Professional Envelope For You!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
Oh.  My.  Lord.

I guess it could have been worse.  It could have had the words, Happy Birthday, Harvey the Wonder Rat all crossed out on it.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »
Not strictly rude, but extremely unprofessional.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Lynn2000

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »
Sad and hilarious.

My friend's dad is a good guy, but noted as someone who likes to pinch pennies. He once tried to send his ex an alimony check in one of those envelopes that comes with your electric bill, as a way of recycling it. I guess he didn't cross something out properly and the envelope was delivered to the electric company. This being a small town, they figured out who it should go to and everyone got a big laugh out of it, though I think the guy was also a little embarrassed. ;) BTW, he and the ex got on fine so it wasn't a case of trying to delay the money or send her a message or anything.
~Lynn2000

lollylegs

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »
This is inter-departmental communications, right? If so, I don't see the big deal.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
This is inter-departmental communications, right? If so, I don't see the big deal.

I think it is highly unprofessional.  Stoney delivered official paperwork in her own personal utility envelopes.  I can't think of any workplace where that would be acceptable.

Yvaine

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »

I think it is highly unprofessional.  Stoney delivered official paperwork in her own personal utility envelopes.  I can't think of any workplace where that would be acceptable.

I think they're the workplace's utility envelopes, if I read the post right. I've worked places where reusing old envelopes for interoffice mail was the norm, to be sure.

Betelnut

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:24 PM »
That is horrifying.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Yarnspinner

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »
Amara,  well, Stonecold will still be the big boss o' me, but I have been transferred to a branch in the "elite" section of town...I will be doing story hours for kids, running a book club and (oh joy of joys) eventually doing the book and film ordering for that branch.  My new supervisor (the ONLY person working out of classification to get a promotion) is so laid back he occasionally has to be propped up.
My only fear is that he might try to fob some of his work off on me...it has happened to others.  My current supervisor has also been transferred to a branch in the boonies to run a branch.  As he said "Well, I don't know what I am going to do there, but at least I know I will be away from the drama." 

Yarnspinner

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
As to why the bill envelopes are a problem...in our system, when you receive a transfer, it's actually supposed to be mailed to you on official stationary in an official envelope.  I guess I just thought that was how it was done everywhere. 

Yvaine

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »
As to why the bill envelopes are a problem...in our system, when you receive a transfer, it's actually supposed to be mailed to you on official stationary in an official envelope.  I guess I just thought that was how it was done everywhere.

There are certainly items that are usually sent in an official envelope, even at a workplace where people use the recycled envelopes (or sometimes the ones with blanks to write in each recipient in turn). I don't know the rules for your workplace. If Stonecold is breaking said rules, she's doing it wrong.

Betelnut

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 05:36:31 AM »
Yes, even a reusable "inter-office" memo-type envelope would have been a million times more professional than simply an envelope that comes from an electric bill.  That is odd and, frankly, it seems crazy.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Oh Joy

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 07:38:45 AM »
Posters on this forum often advocate for speaking up when others' behavior isn't kind toward others.  I'm posting to admit that the whole Stonecold persona and running storyline make me uncomfortable.  Even when she has done something appropriate for an etiquette discussion, I feel like a 'mean girl' just for reading posts about her.

Thanks for letting me share.

Lynn2000

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
I don't remember the whole Stonecold saga, so I'm not speaking specifically about this; but, Oh Joy's post reminded me about one of my former co-workers, Mike. Mike genuinely did some rude things--he was arrogant, he had anger management issues, he was careless, he made fun of people for being fat. Whenever you needed to blow off some Mike-induced steam, there were plenty of real things to complain about.

But, I didn't like it when people tried to add in unproven things, or inconsequential things--I remember one person always mocked him (behind his back) for wearing black socks with sandals. I mean, really? What do I care about Mike's footwear, unfashionable or not? I'd rather learn how others deal with his know-it-all attitude or endless self-centered jabbering--things that actually affect me.

When you don't like someone, it's easy to find more things to dislike about them. And that can slide into being catty, remarking on things that really aren't important, which dilutes the valid complaints. Again, I'm not saying I necessarily see that here because I don't remember the larger story, but maybe that is the kind of feeling Oh Joy is getting at?
~Lynn2000

Yvaine

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
I don't remember the whole Stonecold saga, so I'm not speaking specifically about this; but, Oh Joy's post reminded me about one of my former co-workers, Mike. Mike genuinely did some rude things--he was arrogant, he had anger management issues, he was careless, he made fun of people for being fat. Whenever you needed to blow off some Mike-induced steam, there were plenty of real things to complain about.

But, I didn't like it when people tried to add in unproven things, or inconsequential things--I remember one person always mocked him (behind his back) for wearing black socks with sandals. I mean, really? What do I care about Mike's footwear, unfashionable or not? I'd rather learn how others deal with his know-it-all attitude or endless self-centered jabbering--things that actually affect me.

When you don't like someone, it's easy to find more things to dislike about them. And that can slide into being catty, remarking on things that really aren't important, which dilutes the valid complaints. Again, I'm not saying I necessarily see that here because I don't remember the larger story, but maybe that is the kind of feeling Oh Joy is getting at?

Yeah, Female Dog Eating Crackers is the way they put it elsewhere on the internets. Somebody makes you mad all the time and eventually she does something innocuous and you're like "Look at that female dog eating crackers like she owns the place!"

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.