Author Topic: Gender Reveal Photo (sigh)  (Read 2781 times)

CookieChica

Gender Reveal Photo (sigh)
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
I'm pregnant with kid 2 and we just found out it's a boy. My husband was reluctant to find out but I convinced him and he agreed. I've just told a few family members (and I'm so glad we found out because the disappoint from some is easier to handle today than it would be after 20 hours of labor).

My husband is asking to do a fun gender reveal photo on Facebook with our son. I want to give him this because he agreed to find out. However, I am not cutesy at all (I announced my pregnancy with the celebratory news that we get another tax deduction for 2014). There is one picture of me pregnant with our first son and it's just me standing. I tried to look at Pinterest but it's all belly photos or "boys want a boy and girls want a girl".

Does anyone have suggestions for a photo that isn't too cloying? Anything is going to be a little cutesy but if we can keep it to a minimum, I can do this for my husband a little more sincerely.

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: Gender Reveal Photo (sigh)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:00:41 PM »
If I had to do something like that, which would not be my first choice, I'd probably dress both of us in pink. And then have one of us hold a tiny sign, in pink, that says "It's a boy!"

Just because I like to mess with people sometimes.

Or do everything in a non-gendered color, like green. So it is not obvious what's going on, other than a lot of green, until they focus in on the sign.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

amylouky

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
I'd have your son hold a chalkboard sign saying, "I'm going to have a little brother!". Simple, not too cutesy I don't think, and gets the point across.

amylouky

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:05:09 PM »
Or, get those "I'm a big brother/little brother" shirt/onesies, have your son wear his and hold up the onesie, and photoshop in "Watch this space".
If it helps, try to think of the picture in terms of how your sons will feel about it when they are older.. I'd bet they will love it.

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
I'm not sure why, but I agree that they're almost expected these days.

My friend did one recently where she filled a giant blue balloon with pink confetti and took adorable pictures of her little girls reacting to the popping of the balloon and playing with/getting showered by the confetti. It was mostly cute because it was a picture of her kids being cute, rather than just one of her. The message was in the color, so she didn't have to think of a cute slogan.

I also kind of like the ones of an older sib holding wearing a big bro/sis T-shirt and holding a little bro/sis one out for their little sibling.

If you're not comfortable posting a pregnant belly shot or similar, don't. :)

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:44:37 PM »
I recently posted ours, with my DD wearing a shirt that says "I wanted a puppy, but I got a brother instead."  It was a shirt that we happened to have in the drawer (yay sales and me not reading the shirts) and it's doubly hilarious to me because we have two dogs.

Krism

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
I had a cousin do one where she took a photo of the family's shoes, including the tiny little baby girl sandals.  So maybe a photo of your shoes in a circle - daddy, mommy, big brother, little brother.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »
A happy picture of your son with text saying he cannot wait to meet his little brother. Maybe with some baby toys, he is going to pass down.

I hate those videos of the boys getting so upset about a new little sister. It says so much about the parents need for parenting classes that they are encouraging that level of rivalry, and posting it so it haunts them forever.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

lilfox

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
I didn't end up doing it, but when I found out I was having a boy, I thought about taking a photo of blue baby shoes and using that as the "reveal.". Cute but not cutesy.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »
My sister did a shot of tiny pink shoes resting on her belly. No caption.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
A happy picture of your son with text saying he cannot wait to meet his little brother. Maybe with some baby toys, he is going to pass down.

I hate those videos of the boys getting so upset about a new little sister. It says so much about the parents need for parenting classes that they are encouraging that level of rivalry, and posting it so it haunts them forever.

There I actually one of those that I found funny. A brother who had two sisters already found out he was getting another sister and was  despondent. He had clearly hoped for even numbers 2 boys/2girls. Since my brother has 3 younger sisters, I found it relatable. I don't really see it as promoting rivalry and I doubt it will haunt anyone. When his sister arrives he will probably dote on her and they will laugh at the fact that he was initially upset by the news that "she" was coming.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
My sister did a shot of tiny pink shoes resting on her belly. No caption.
I'd have your son hold a chalkboard sign saying, "I'm going to have a little brother!". Simple, not too cutesy I don't think, and gets the point across.

I like these. Cute enough for the pro-aww crowd but mellow enough for the eye-roll crowd.  :)

Cherry91

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
Could you maybe get your son to hold a sign saying "x 2!" to show you're having another boy?

me3boyz

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 07:24:29 PM »
As a pregnancy announcement, one of my co-workers had a picture taken of her & her husband's feet (shoes on) with a pair of baby shoes in between. She's not a cutesy type of person either. I thought it was cool & unique.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »
A friend of mine had one I think I might copy (with the appropriate variant depending on whether we find out ours is a boy or a girl--another two weeks or so).

She already had three girls, so she had them line up on the sofa, each holding a balloon.  The oldest girl had a pink balloon that said "It's."  The next had a pink balloon that said "a."  And the littlest had a blue balloon that said "Boy!"  I'm not sure I trust my youngest with a balloon right now, so I might do the same with the three oldest holding balloons, and have the youngest hold... something else.  Or I could give her a balloon with just an exclamation point and see how she does with it.  :)

I think any baby item that's in blue or is obviously boy-ish would make a good reveal.  Baby shoes, baby toy, baby clothes, whatever.  Could be held by somebody or just by itself.  But if your 2-year-old is willing, doing something where he's holding the item, or holding a sign, would be really cute and probably a great picture to share with the new baby when he's old enough.