Author Topic: Would you buy this? New inventions . . .  (Read 1248 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Would you buy this? New inventions . . .
« on: July 26, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
Just when you think that everything in the world has already been invented, someone comes up with something new:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3h9uePWTzc

I just think that is so cool and am very surprised that nobody ever thought of this before!

I would buy it. ;D

What new inventions have you heard of? Something that you were surprised about that hasn't been marketed before?

Do you have any ideas for a cool invention?

What about the worst inventions that you thought would never be marketable?

Just for fun!  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Would you buy this? New inventions . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 04:27:17 PM »
For a single person or someone who finds that they have company at the door and could really use six desserts in a hurry - this is perfect.

But I never would have thought of it myself...not born a member of the "microwave" generation - I got my first microwave in college.  Back when they had two settings - high and medium.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »
I saw what looked like a neat invention where you could fill a whole bunch of water balloons at one time.  Unfortunately, it turns out not to be reusable.  The balloons come attached to the filler and then once you pull them off, you throw the filler away.  So you'd have to buy as many of the fillers as you want sets of balloons.  It's a cool idea, and maybe if it ends up being really cheap, but otherwise it seems like you have to buy too much.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 05:39:50 PM »
Saw one this morning on Facebook where a teenaged girl has invented an alarm of some sort (couldn't link to the report because my work program wouldn't let me) to alert parents that there's a child in the child seat.  Don't know exactly what it's about, but if it does a good job it would take off like wildfire.  I don't have a need for this, being childfree, but there are millions of parents out there who would buy it.

demarco

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
At first I thought, if it has to be that convenient, why not just go out and buy a cake and be done with it?  But... cool that you can make exactly the amount you want when you want it. I might buy it if it makes good cake and if it isn't good cake, surely someone else will come along and make a better one.

I don't get the part about wanting to keep it local, though. What's the point of keeping a spray can of something local? Would these students really object to having a national demand for this thing? Maybe "local" is just an essential buzzword you have to use at Harvard now.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
Saw one this morning on Facebook where a teenaged girl has invented an alarm of some sort (couldn't link to the report because my work program wouldn't let me) to alert parents that there's a child in the child seat.  Don't know exactly what it's about, but if it does a good job it would take off like wildfire.  I don't have a need for this, being childfree, but there are millions of parents out there who would buy it.

I saw one designed by a kid who's 12 or so, not so much an alarm as a strap that goes from the carseat to the driver's side door, so when they go to leave the car, the strap stops them and they remember.  You have to remember to set up the strap when you get in, though.  It might work for conscientious parents, because you're going to remember the kid when you're putting them in, as long as you keep the strap in the carseat or something.  I could see somebody getting bored of using it after a while, though, after thirty times that they remember the kid without needing it, and then getting lax about it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:13:06 PM »

I saw one designed by a kid who's 12 or so, not so much an alarm as a strap that goes from the carseat to the driver's side door, so when they go to leave the car, the strap stops them and they remember.  You have to remember to set up the strap when you get in, though.  It might work for conscientious parents, because you're going to remember the kid when you're putting them in, as long as you keep the strap in the carseat or something.  I could see somebody getting bored of using it after a while, though, after thirty times that they remember the kid without needing it, and then getting lax about it.
I've also seen recommended that you leave your purse or your briefcase or your lunch on the back seat next to the child (or on the floor of the backseat if you have a toddler with expandable arms!) That way when you reach for the thing that you usually carry, you can't miss seeing the baby in the carseat. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

CuriousParty

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »

It's a mat for the car seat the sets off an alarm on the parents key fob, the car and...something else. the parent's phone? If the key fob gets further than a certain distance from the car and the mat detects a child still in the seat. Great idea, hopefully it can get past fabrication.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »

It's a mat for the car seat the sets off an alarm on the parents key fob, the car and...something else. the parent's phone? If the key fob gets further than a certain distance from the car and the mat detects a child still in the seat. Great idea, hopefully it can get past fabrication.

See, the reason I like the idea of something like that is that (I assume) it sets itself up.  i.e. if it detects a child's weight on the mat (I assume it tares out the weight of the carseat itself or that it goes *on* the carseat), it sets off the alarm.  So the parent doesn't have to do anything each trip, just set it up the very first time.  I like that. 

If it goes on the market, I would *especially* recommend it for parents with only babies/toddlers or who drive around only with those babies/toddlers, and parents who alternate who drops off a child or otherwise don't have a routine that *always* involves the same thing. 

It seems like in most cases, there's no older child in the car (who would also be in the back and who would easily see that the baby was being left in), and it's a change in routine (mom sometimes takes baby to daycare, other times dad takes her, dad forgot that it was his day).  I worry less about it now because a) I always have the kids with me, so it's habit to open the back every time, and b) I have older kids, too, and they have to come out the back and they would certainly get my attention/open the car if I somehow left them all or a baby in there.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
May be convenient for some. But some of us like to customize our cake/muffin/dessert batter too much for it to be really useful. If they come up with more flavors and varieties, it could be very successful.
I have pet mice!

SoCalVal

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »

Just posted on FB earlier today that I hope someone invents something like this soon after reading how yet another child was left in the car (Kansas this time).

ETA -- I think cake batter in a can sounds kind of icky, but I could see it taking off with the college crowd.

I love this idea, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually.  I thought it sounded stupid when I saw the first few seconds of the video (because it talked about having a "boring" cooler); then, when I saw all the additional things, I thought it sounded like a pretty neat cooler, actually want one AND am thinking of kicking in the $185 to get one at a discount (they plan on selling them for $299).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:04:16 PM by SoCalVal »

Whimsyone

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 02:06:05 AM »
I have a "fantasy" invention that I have thought of for years! A hair salon should have a gridded floor. The squares in the grid would be big enough for the under-floor, powerful fans to suck the hair down. But not strong enough to pull down rings, necklaces, etc. I do not know how the system would tell the difference. I haven't worked that out yet! ;)
"Half of being smart is knowing what you're stupid at." Anon.

Sakuko

• The black Kitten
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 04:11:29 AM »
I just think that is so cool and am very surprised that nobody ever thought of this before!

I would buy it. ;D

Hm, my boyfriend has made microwaveable cakes for years. I'm sure it could be made with a siphon bottle. I wouldn't have thought that's something that sells, though. I already find boxed cake-mix entirely superfluous.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 10:35:49 AM »
  I couldn't see buying a lot of it but one or two as to never be more then 60 seconds from cake, especially if it has a decent shelf life in the fridge after opening.

I want Tiles...they are tiny about scrabble letter tile sized GPS which can be attached to anything.  You can then use your phone to find the tiles (the tiles attached to your keys for example or stolen bike) the apps lets other tiles users find your lost/stolen items too.

SoCalVal

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »
I want Tiles...they are tiny about scrabble letter tile sized GPS which can be attached to anything.  You can then use your phone to find the tiles (the tiles attached to your keys for example or stolen bike) the apps lets other tiles users find your lost/stolen items too.

I like this idea (especially since our house was burglarized -- I'd go around adding those to everything of value at our house that could reasonably have these attached -- like the Wii I bought to replace the one stolen or our bicycles where they wouldn't be easily/quickly detected, like in the frame).