Author Topic: best place to buy shirts for men (big/tall)-UPDATE: we got the shirts!  (Read 767 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
(We live in Israel).

DS (28) is now looking to buy "nicer" shirts. he has migrated from geeky t shirts to polo shirts (collar/three buttons/solid colors) and has one nicer shirt (button down, light blue, cotton) and wants to buy a few more nicer shirts. he can't find shirts that fit him - he is definitely overweight but it's not like he is the fattest person on earth - maybe 20 lbs overweight.  (I don't know his exact size as he's been wearing 2-3X t shirts and polo shirts, he's probably about 5'8 or 5'9), but he claims that the problem is his back/chest and not actually the stomach - the shirts he tried on in bigger sizes were tight around the shoulders/back even before he tried to button them. He went to a "better" store today and the sales person told him that he should take a long sleeved shirt cause they fit better (but it's like 1000 degrees outside and there is no way he'll survive in a long sleeved shirt, even if the sleeves are rolled up).

so - we're looking online. I suppose a cotton/******* blend would be best in terms of wrinkles and it. price is definitly a factor but DS is willing to pay a bit more for quality. He is very conservative so plain white/light blue/navy etc though i am trying to get him to wear black - with his coloring he looks really good in black or dark gray. any ideas where he should look?

ETA -wow. i meant to write a cotton /"certain man made material that starts with P" blend and the machine bleeped it out. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:08:19 AM by cicero »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

BigBadBetty

Re: best place to buy shirts for men (big/tall)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »
I don't know if they ship to Israel, but Land's End has big and tall. They are reasonably priced, especially if you get their sales. If you sign up for their email specials, they offer many discount codes. I find that their clothes wear very well (at least for women). Their seconds are much better quality than other stores full-price regular clothes.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
DH is 6'2 and very muscular in his upper body.  He has had good luck at Eddie Bauer or American Eagle.  They also carry his odd-sized pants that fit in the legs without gapping over his waist.

Hillia

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »
DestinationXL has a good selection of men's big/tall clothes, and the quality is good.  They can be pricey, but there are often sales.  If there's an outlet location near you, there are screaming deals there (I got DH some good, heavyweight T shirts for $6 each at an outlet).

King Size Direct also has a good selection, but the quality can be spotty.  They're part of the group that owns Jessica London/Women's World/Roaman's.  They also have an all-in-one outlet site called Onestopplus.com

Mergatroyd

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »
Sears.ca has some, but I don't know if they ship there. Marks Workwear does as well, but I don't think they sell online at all, so not helpful.  Have you considered taking him to a tailor or seamstress and having a few made bespoke? Or even altered to fit?

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
My DH is 6 ft. 6 inches tall and weighs about 250#. He buys his button front, collared shirts(size 2XL tall) from Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shop.

He has bought from the actual stores closest to us, but mostly he buys them online because of the more color choices.

They are nice shirts, and easy care: wash in the washer, and hang on hangars to dry, or sometimes I dry them in the dryer on the low/knits setting. But since it's so hot where you're at, the shirts would take hardly any time to dry if you hang them on an outside clothes line.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 01:09:57 PM »
wow - thanks. i never thought of buying online as an option. now to measure/size him and start shopping. I looked on land's end and eddie bauer meanwhile - there are a lot of definite maybes there!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
Hanes also has a line of big and tall clothing.  I get a catalog insert with the JustMySize catalogs about twice a year (no idea why, unless they figure that large-sized women marry large-sized men, which is assuming a lot) and they have dress shirts, Henley shirts, etc. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
Hanes also has a line of big and tall clothing.  I get a catalog insert with the JustMySize catalogs about twice a year (no idea why, unless they figure that large-sized women marry large-sized men, which is assuming a lot) and they have dress shirts, Henley shirts, etc.

Hanes is good.  As for a brand, I often get DH polos from Nautica.  He wears a 3x and has American football player shoulders.  They fit him well.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
Can you get Nordstrom in Israel?  They have some great, high quality men's shirts in a range of prices.  Also second Lands End.

Seraphine1

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 07:40:55 AM »
You could try jacamo.co.uk for something a bit closer than the States.  My husband is also big/tall, and they make some lovely longer-length shirts in all sizes.  Plus sized clothing for both men and women is a bit on the rare side in the UK, and this is the only place we've had success with so far.

bloo

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 08:15:11 AM »
I'd like to add that I too like Destination XL. The hubs is 6'4" and weighs 280 and he is long waisted. All shirts and jackets have to be 2XLT not 2XL or it wont cover his lower back. They have a great selection and weve been happy with the service and prices.

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: best place to buy shirts for men (big/tall) update - order is in!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »
So we ended up ordering from Land's End. Still haven't received, should be here next week. hope it fits - i'll keep you posted.

thanks to everyone who helped!

MrTango

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »
DestinationXL has a good selection of men's big/tall clothes, and the quality is good.  They can be pricey, but there are often sales.  If there's an outlet location near you, there are screaming deals there (I got DH some good, heavyweight T shirts for $6 each at an outlet).

King Size Direct also has a good selection, but the quality can be spotty.  They're part of the group that owns Jessica London/Women's World/Roaman's.  They also have an all-in-one outlet site called Onestopplus.com

POD to both of these ideas.

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: best place to buy shirts for men (big/tall)-UPDATE: we got the shirts!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 02:10:43 AM »
just wanted to say thanks to everyone - we ordered the shirts online, got them and they are wonderful. Already washed and ironed them once, they need very little ironing compared to the shirt we bought here. and they are roomy and fit him well. (I even think they are a tad big but at least they aren't pulling on him)

thanks for you help!