Author Topic: Update on nephews-K'nnihave's sons  (Read 3168 times)

weeblewobble

Re: Update on nephews-K'nnihave's sons
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
And I have to say it isn't surprising that BIL doesn't want nephew to travel.

1) If Nephew is spending money on travel, that's a "waste" of money that could be spent on Nephew's parents, the expenses brought about by Nephew2's impending fatherhood, etc.

2) If Nephew is traveling, he could see things, experience things that show him that there is more to life than staying near his parents, supporting them financially.  He will see that other people are not expected to provide for their families the way that he is.

3) If Nephew travels, he may find a place he really likes and move even further away from his parents.

I know BIL was never as bad as K'nnihave in terms of greed, but you can't soak in that kind of toxic stew and not soak up some tendencies.

oogyda

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:05 PM »
Sniff. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Amara

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
What a great update! I remember the humor and horror of those stories, and how much you tried to influence your nephews without interfering in their lives--and wow, what a payoff. Congratulations. While it's sad that Nephew2 is turning out otherwise, it's still possible, especially with his brother helping, that he might be able to break through the toxicity. Really well done, Roe.

SoCalVal

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
Love the update (the good news, anyway)!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
I'm so happy for you and your DH, Roe.  Hopefully, Nephew 2 will follow his brother's example someday.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Great update! Thank you for sharing.

Keeping my fingers crossed for nephew2.  Hopefully seeing his brother in a better place will help give him the guiding light/example that he needs.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
Great news about your nephew!  I remember all of those stories!  Glad to hear that your nephew is trying his wings to a new land.

Nuala

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
I'm so happy for Nephew 1. You and your husband did a wonderful job modeling appropriate behavior and boundaries for him. I hope he can rescue his brother at some point.

I agree with a previous poster about BIL and his disapproval of N1's desire to travel. I'm a little surprised that he and K'nnihve are still together.

Thank you so much for updating us, Roe. I well remember The Summer of No. It's a shame you had to go through all that, but it was entertaining reading!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
My DH and I can't take any credit, though it's nice of you guys to say so. :)

This really does boil down to nephew1 wanting a different life. He still has a ways to go but he's on the right track.

As far as nephew2, he's chosen the more difficult path but he can still succeed. I hope he realizes it, esp during the new few, most difficult, months.

I just ordered nephew2's baby a crib mattress and some cute outfits. It feels weird purchasing baby items for nephew2.

As you can imagine, his girlfriend and K'nnihave do not get along. (Gee, shocker!) Nephew2 keeps telling K'nnihave to "grow up and stop acting like a child" so I know there's hope for him yet! ;)

At any rate, it's their ball game now. I'm just an observer. I'll be here if they ever need me but I will not intervene. They are adults, making adult decisions. It's all up to them now.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »

This really does boil down to nephew1 wanting a different life. He still has a ways to go but he's on the right track.

As far as nephew2, he's chosen the more difficult path but he can still succeed. I hope he realizes it, esp during the new few, most difficult, months.

I just ordered nephew2's baby a crib mattress and some cute outfits. It feels weird purchasing baby items for nephew2.

As you can imagine, his girlfriend and K'nnihave do not get along. (Gee, shocker!) Nephew2 keeps telling K'nnihave to "grow up and stop acting like a child" so I know there's hope for him yet! ;)

At any rate, it's their ball game now. I'm just an observer. I'll be here if they ever need me but I will not intervene. They are adults, making adult decisions. It's all up to them now.

Re bolded: Win! I'm proud of him for standing up to his mom; that's not easy.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Elisabunny

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »

This really does boil down to nephew1 wanting a different life.

Yes, you do deserve credit.  You showed nephew1 that a different kind of life is not only possible, but desirable.  Before someone can cross a bridge, they have to know it's there.

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 04:11:27 PM »

This really does boil down to nephew1 wanting a different life.

Yes, you do deserve credit.  You showed nephew1 that a different kind of life is not only possible, but desirable.  Before someone can cross a bridge, they have to know it's there.

And that there's something desirable on the other side to make the journey worth while.