Author Topic: Montreal: 3-day tour!  (Read 227 times)

jmarvellous

Montreal: 3-day tour!
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
We're heading to Montreal in less than 2 weeks. We've gotten our museum and rail passes, and we're staying in an Air B&B that looks pretty nice . In fact, our itinerary is pretty much set ... but I'm so psyched about the trip that I would love your personalized tips and tricks or just your favorites.

ALL advice welcome, but a few details that make our trip interesting :P :

We speak no French, so that part's a bit nerve-wracking. Are we destined for disaster?

We're vegetarians/my husband is quasi-vegan. I made the mistake of looking up Montreal travel shows, and Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" episode (the only thing on Netflix) is basically all about the wonderful fish and game in Quebec. Oops! Aside from some bagels and beers, where should we go?

We'll be driving in on a Wednesday and leaving on a Sunday. Any tips for nightlife Weds-Sat (not "bumpin' clubs" as my husband puts it, more like beer/wine and happy people)?

Only me

Re: Montreal: 3-day tour!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »
I have been to Montreal several times, always loved it. There is lots to do.

What part of Montreal are you going to would be my first question? But Mont Royal is great if you get a chance. There is a lookout that you can stop at and see the whole city.

Onlyme

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:38:21 PM »
Any place catering to tourists will speak English with you. Outside of that, some basic phrases are all you might need."Ou est le toilette?" (where is the bathroom?) is a good one.

The food is fantastic... I'd live in one of their restaurants if I could. Let the server know up front that you would like vegetarian and they might be able to suggest some things. I wish I could remember the place we went to. Rue St Vincent, maybe? By the quay? The street is full of little restaurants and clubs, and they had street musicians playing and things going on in the summer.

I'm not sure about night life, other than there is a lot of it. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Coralreef

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »
I'm just outside of Montréal. 

Most people working with the public will speak English or direct you to someone who does.

A vegetarian restaurant is the Commensal, but most places have a vegetarian menu.  A great place to eat is Eaux Vivres ( https://auxvivres.com/en/about ).  Excellent food!

Montréal Streets are laid out in a grid, with St-Laurent going north-south and dividing the island between east and west.  Public transport goes everywhere a tourist might like to go, but the metro (subway) closes aroung midgnight.

Several shopping Streets : Ste-Catherine (downtown), St-Denis (start at Mont-Royal metro and go southward), St-Laurent, Greene.

The Musée des Beaux-Arts is currently showing a Fabergé expo.  http://faberge.mbam.qc.ca/en/

Old Montréal has 2 Pierrots which is a sing-along bar/restaurant sometimes with live musicians/singers.  The songs will mostly be French folk and crowd tends to be young but it would be a nice cultural experience.  http://2pierrots.com/ 

There are a lot of local festivals / street fairs in the summer, but you have to know where to look. 

PM me if you'll like.

[/right