Author Topic: Who did a cover of WHAT song?!? s/o off Songs you hate  (Read 5353 times)

Pioneer

Re: Who did a cover of WHAT song?!? s/o off Songs you hate
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »
Jonathan Coulton's cover of "Baby Got Back" is hysterical. :)

Another JoCo fan! 
(Also, shamelessing "bookmarking" this thread.)
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
Tainted Love seems to bring out the best in some singers.

I love the original Gloria Jones version, but Marc Almond, Max Raabe and Marilyn Manson have all done great covers.

NE England

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
I was at a Starbucks over Christmas and heard the most godawful version of Sweet Child O' Mine.  It was a slowed down, emo, hippy, dippy, trippy version.  It came complete with breathy vocals, tambourines, and crooning.  The only thing it didn't have was wind chimes and rainbows. 

The song was so unrecognizable, that neither me or the cashier knew what the song was until she started in on the chorus and then we were both like  :o :o ??? :'( .

I think this must the new "trend" in music for retail. Many of our songs are like this, like i described above, and sometimes you're like " i know that song" but hearing it in a completely different way and context ,you just can't figure out what it is!

To me though, that's the point of doing a cover. I really can't understand people who say "This doesn't sound anything like the original!" Isn't that the point, to put your own spin on it? Why just rehash the original, unless for a money spinner?

Oh I agree, it's just that some come out better than others ya know.

Allyson

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
I definitely agree about Placebo's "Running Up That Hill." I've heard a few other versions but that's my favourite. I also love Tori Amos doing The Cure's "Lovesong", but I like the original too. Speaking of "Lovesong", there's a really interesting version of that one done by A Perfect Circle; it's combined with Ozzy Osbourne's "Diary of A Madman". Very cool.

I am usually in favour of covers, and don't really understand the absolute distress some people feel about them; the original still exists, after all. Then again I also love things like redone fairy tales. I dislike covers that seem to 'blandify' them; I don't mind a different stye, but making it into elevator music seems rather pointless.

Syfygeek

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXuSWUXDnuo

My favorite cover? Stewie Griffin doing Shatner Rocket Man.

Rob Zombie does a great cover of Blitzkrieg Bop; and also does a funky cover of Brick House.  I just heard Elton John singing Free Man in Paris by Joni Mitchell and as much as I love the original, his cover rocks.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

poundcake

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »

I love the original Gloria Jones version, but Marc Almond, Max Raabe and Marilyn Manson have all done great covers.

Marc Almond and Jimmy Sommerville did an amazing version of "I Feel Love," too! And Adele's cover of The Cure's "Lovesong" was just WOW.

perpetua

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »

Marc Almond and Jimmy Sommerville did an amazing version of "I Feel Love," too! And Adele's cover of The Cure's "Lovesong" was just WOW.

Oooh, that reminds me. Not really a cover, but if you haven't heard Jimmy's 2014 version of Smalltown Boy, go listen to it. It's amazing. Gave me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhLOfUPHa8

poundcake

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »

Oooh, that reminds me. Not really a cover, but if you haven't heard Jimmy's 2014 version of Smalltown Boy, go listen to it. It's amazing. Gave me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhLOfUPHa8

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Now I'm in tears.

proudmama

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »

Covers that really shouldn't work but actually do:
DJ Sammy's dance versions of "Boys of Summer", "Calafornia Dreaming" and "Heaven"

I was going to post the exact opposite of the bolded.  I dislike both of those covers. 

Octavia

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
I'm sitting here listening to The Rolling Stones and can recall a terribly awful version of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by Britney Spears. Made my ears bleed.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

GratefulMaria

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »
Aerosmith's version of "Come Together" makes me cringe.  To quote DS2, "That's a *Beatles* song!"

Social Distortion does a really nice "Ring of Fire."

I so badly want to love that Social Distortion cover but it sounds like Elmer Fudd to me!  :P

My favorite cover is Rocket Man(tastic) by Maynard James Keenan (Tool/Puscifer) and Steven Drozd (the Flaming Lips). It is stunningly beautiful. There's no official video but you can youtube it for lots of fan vids.

JenJay, you owe me a new keyboard -- I will never be able to un-think that now!   ;D

jolyan

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »
Anyone see Jimmy Fallon doing Iggy Azala's Fancy as Neil Young? I must have watched it twenty times. I love when CSY comes out for the chorus.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »
Anyone see Jimmy Fallon doing Iggy Azala's Fancy as Neil Young? I must have watched it twenty times. I love when CSY comes out for the chorus.

And of course there's video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ortY6H5jkEw

daen

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2014, 11:22:49 PM »
I was at a Starbucks over Christmas and heard the most godawful version of Sweet Child O' Mine.  It was a slowed down, emo, hippy, dippy, trippy version.  It came complete with breathy vocals, tambourines, and crooning.  The only thing it didn't have was wind chimes and rainbows. 

The song was so unrecognizable, that neither me or the cashier knew what the song was until she started in on the chorus and then we were both like  :o :o ??? :'( .

I think this must the new "trend" in music for retail. Many of our songs are like this, like i described above, and sometimes you're like " i know that song" but hearing it in a completely different way and context ,you just can't figure out what it is!

To me though, that's the point of doing a cover. I really can't understand people who say "This doesn't sound anything like the original!" Isn't that the point, to put your own spin on it? Why just rehash the original, unless for a money spinner?

Oh I agree, it's just that some come out better than others ya know.

Ah, yes. Hootie and the Blowfish did a cover of "I go blind" - which I hated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eeFHdL2FBM
I later discovered that it was not so much a cover as a re-recording or re-creation of the original by 54-40. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMZSSVt355I
The only thing Hootie et al didn't preserve was a single dissonant harmony. (In my mind, that's the only thing that is at all interesting about the song.)

MummyPumpkin83

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 12:42:59 AM »
Aerosmith's version of "Come Together" makes me cringe.  To quote DS2, "That's a *Beatles* song!"

Social Distortion does a really nice "Ring of Fire."

I so badly want to love that Social Distortion cover but it sounds like Elmer Fudd to me!  :P

My favorite cover is Rocket Man(tastic) by Maynard James Keenan (Tool/Puscifer) and Steven Drozd (the Flaming Lips). It is stunningly beautiful. There's no official video but you can youtube it for lots of fan vids.

Oh, I love this. Thank you for posting about it.

along these lines

A Perfect Circle's cover of "Imagine"
Mummy to 3 little Pumpkin boys!