Author Topic: Who did a cover of WHAT song?!? s/o off Songs you hate  (Read 5476 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Who did a cover of WHAT song?!? s/o off Songs you hate
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »
Hunter Hayes does a cover of Counting Stars

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
Andy Griffith singing "House of the Rising Sun."  He sang this in his style with a rockin' harmonica playing along, and the words were somewhat different, but it's pretty good.

"House of the Rising Sun" is a folk song, not an original by The Animals, so it's fair game for someone like Andy Griffith to do his own version. That's why the words are different.

Yep,  sort of like Chuck Berry's Maybellene is an adaption of the old folk song Ida Red.  Then there's Ram Jam's Black Betty that's been recorded goodness knows how many times before,  though I am partial to their version. Nivana's Where did you Sleep last night?

Of course their is Lead Belly that recorded House of the Rising Sun,  Black Betty, and Where did you Sleep Last Night among a ton of other songs that have been covered for years and years. I think a lot of you would be surprised if you looked up the songs he recorded in the 40s and the subsequent cover bands of those songs (granted,  many of the songs he recorded were still quite old when he sang them then).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:59:12 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:22 PM »
I was at a Starbucks over Christmas and heard the most godawful version of Sweet Child O' Mine.  It was a slowed down, emo, hippy, dippy, trippy version.  It came complete with breathy vocals, tambourines, and crooning.  The only thing it didn't have was wind chimes and rainbows. 

The song was so unrecognizable, that neither me or the cashier knew what the song was until she started in on the chorus and then we were both like  :o :o ??? :'(

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
I had the Golden Throats album (on cassette tape).  The first time I listened to it was on a road trip with my BFF.  We were laughing so hard that we had to pull off the road. 

What finally sent us into out-of-control hysteria was William Shatner's rendition of Mr. Tambourine Man.

You can hear it here.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hTtsqiFCc
I know it's painful, but listen to the end for the big finish.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 08:47:37 PM »
Aerosmith's version of "Come Together" makes me cringe.  To quote DS2, "That's a *Beatles* song!"

Social Distortion does a really nice "Ring of Fire."

I so badly want to love that Social Distortion cover but it sounds like Elmer Fudd to me!  :P

My favorite cover is Rocket Man(tastic) by Maynard James Keenan (Tool/Puscifer) and Steven Drozd (the Flaming Lips). It is stunningly beautiful. There's no official video but you can youtube it for lots of fan vids.

Breezygirl

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 09:28:25 PM »
Sam Smith's cover of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know".  So slow, it's painful.
Someday, somehow, somewhere.....

dawnfire

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »
one of the best covers I've seen was the zac brown band doing "the devil went down to Georgia" on the 2009 cma wards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8peBbHUJzU .

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »
My all-time favorite cover: The Leningrad Cowboys and the Red Army Chorus, Knockin' On Heaven's Door
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV6ETVQgob0
"R-E-S-P-E-C-T" is original to Otis Redding, not Aretha Franklin.  And he wasn't referring to being polite, either.
Big Mama Thornton recorded the original "Ball and Chain", later covered by Janis Joplin, and "Hound Dog", covered by Elvis.

And then:
I wish I were kidding when I say Celine Dion covered "You Shook Me All Night Long"
Madonna and "American Pie"
Korn, "Another Brick In The Wall"

Library Dragon

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 12:29:39 AM »
I do not like Gladys Knight & the Pips version of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine".

I have a weird soft spot for On The Rocks cover of "Bad Romance".

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 01:44:39 AM »
I love Metallica's cover of Turn the Page. Not fond of the original by Bob Seger though
All of Metallica's cover album "Garage Inc" were great tracks actually (IMO).

Duran Duran's cover album was... um... interesting. The cover of hiphop classic White Lines was a bit bizarre.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

CakeEater

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:07 AM »
I just Googled to find out who sang this, but this was a great episode of Scrubs where someone called Joshua Radin sings a cover of the Sesame Street theme song. Amazing how a song that starts, "Sunny days, keeping the clouds away' can be the saddest thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx4chPKwcbY

Whimsyone

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 02:10:20 AM »
Sirius....Joel Grey's line about the white room was from "White Room" by Cream, a 60's band.

Also, "House of the Rising Sun" is just about my favorite song! I have read many entries/books about the tune. It was first heard by a man recording folks songs in the early 1900's in the deep south. He was listening to a sixteen year old named Georgia do a bluesy rendition. It has been covered by Dave Van Ronk, Bob Dylan and others. It has about 50 different versions of verses!
"Half of being smart is knowing what you're stupid at." Anon.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 03:25:12 AM »
Covers that should probably never have happened:
Celine Deon's version of "I Drove All Night" (!)
A1's version of "Take On Me" (!!)
Robbie Williams' version of "We Are The Champions" (!!!)

Covers that really shouldn't work but actually do:
DJ Sammy's dance versions of "Boys of Summer", "Calafornia Dreaming" and "Heaven"

Covers that might just be better than the original:
Roy Orbison's version of "I Drove All Night" (love Cyndi Lauper's version, though!)
The Atari's version of "Boys of Summer"

WolfWay

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 03:25:51 AM »
Also, "House of the Rising Sun" is just about my favorite song! I have read many entries/books about the tune. It was first heard by a man recording folks songs in the early 1900's in the deep south. He was listening to a sixteen year old named Georgia do a bluesy rendition. It has been covered by Dave Van Ronk, Bob Dylan and others. It has about 50 different versions of verses!
I still love love love The Animals version of that song. The singer's voice gives me chills. I just googled it, holy cow, that version is from 1964. It's 50 years old and it's still amazing!
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 03:28:21 AM »
Korn's cover of Cameo's 80s hit "Word Up!". I love the original and I love the cover, but it was so out of left field for that combo of original song + cover artist.

Guns n Roses' cover of Paul McCartney's "Live and let die" was also a surprise, but it worked out really well.