Author Topic: Who did a cover of WHAT song?!? s/o off Songs you hate  (Read 4834 times)

Elegiac

Re: Who did a cover of WHAT song?!? s/o off Songs you hate
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 04:09:52 AM »
I did not like Nickelback's version of 'Saturday Day Night's All Right for Fighting'. I prefer Elton John. I did love Ewan McGregor's cover of 'Your Song' for Moulin Rouge.

parrot_girl

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 04:23:17 AM »
Two I love: Tracey Ullman's version of "Move Over, Darlin'." I love Doris Day's version too, but Tracey Ullman's version has a bit of cheekiness to it that I really like.
and
Brian Ferry's cover of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes". I find the Platters' version is just too slow.

One I absolutely hate: whoever it is who did a happy boppy version of "Love Hurts." I FAR prefer Roy Orbison's grieving version. Love should be hurting, cuss it all to tarnation, not bopping around wearing a Hawaian shirt and grinning!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 04:47:13 AM »
Boyzone did a horrid version of Father and Son.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  >:(
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Coley

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
I love a good cover. Some of these may seem somewhat obscure, but they're a few of my favorites:

Kathy McCarty's version of Daniel Johnston's beautiful song, "Living Life," which was in the movie "Before Sunrise." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6scamDr1r3s

Elliott Smith's version of George Harrison's "Give Me Love." I was lucky to see him perform it live a couple of times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0uKVQ-yVgw

Annie Lennox's version of the Clash's "Train in Vain." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvSdFr3niQM

My favorite-ever cover is Elliott Smith's version of the Beatles' "Because" from the American Beauty soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvSdFr3niQM

There are a lot of bad covers, so today I'm just going to focus on a few I like.  :)

Coley

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »
Aerosmith's version of "Come Together" makes me cringe.  To quote DS2, "That's a *Beatles* song!"

Social Distortion does a really nice "Ring of Fire."

I so badly want to love that Social Distortion cover but it sounds like Elmer Fudd to me!  :P

My favorite cover is Rocket Man(tastic) by Maynard James Keenan (Tool/Puscifer) and Steven Drozd (the Flaming Lips). It is stunningly beautiful. There's no official video but you can youtube it for lots of fan vids.

Oh, I love this. Thank you for posting about it.

jmarvellous

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »
I love the Carolina Chocolate Drops' cover of "Hit 'Em Up Style," which in the original is the sort of problematic break-up song that makes you go, "Why is this tune set to these words?" It gets the full revenge-driven angry person treatment in the cover.

Elliott Smith can cover many songs well.

I think people are surprised by how many Beatles songs were actually covers because they did such a decent job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_covered_by_the_Beatles. I'll admit that Ray Charles did "I've Got a Woman" better; Chuck Berry's "Rock & Roll Music" is better, too; there are others, e.g. "You've Really Got a Hold on Me," which is covered a lot. But many times it's either even or the Beatles did it better.

One of my favorite musicals, "Tommy," is funny because The Who recorded a whole album of their versions of their songs, which I love, but Elton John doing "Pinball Wizard" is so great; Tina Turner and Eric Clapton are fab, too, but they probably could've skipped Jack Nicholson singing.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 12:27:24 PM »
The Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin album is fantastic

You have covers of his greatest songs to that point.

"Border Song" - Eric Clapton 4:21
    "Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time)" - Kate Bush 4:57 - Great song
    "Come Down in Time" - Sting 3:38 - One of my favorites
    "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" - The Who 4:32
    "Crocodile Rock" - The Beach Boys 4:21
    "Daniel" - Wilson Phillips 4:03
    "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" - Joe Cocker 3:57
    "Levon" - Jon Bon Jovi 5:27
    "The B*tch is Back" - Tina Turner 3:38
    "Philadelphia Freedom" - Hall & Oates 5:12
    "Your Song" - Rod Stewart 4:49
    "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" - Oleta Adams 6:02 - My favorite
    "Madman Across the Water" - Bruce Hornsby 6:10
    "Sacrifice" - Sinéad O'Connor 5:12 - One of the best
    "Burn Down the Mission" - Phil Collins 6:58
    "Tonight" - George Michael 7:23

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
I was at a Starbucks over Christmas and heard the most godawful version of Sweet Child O' Mine.  It was a slowed down, emo, hippy, dippy, trippy version.  It came complete with breathy vocals, tambourines, and crooning.  The only thing it didn't have was wind chimes and rainbows. 

The song was so unrecognizable, that neither me or the cashier knew what the song was until she started in on the chorus and then we were both like  :o :o ??? :'( .

I think this must the new "trend" in music for retail. Many of our songs are like this, like i described above, and sometimes you're like " i know that song" but hearing it in a completely different way and context ,you just can't figure out what it is!

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »
I was at a Starbucks over Christmas and heard the most godawful version of Sweet Child O' Mine.  It was a slowed down, emo, hippy, dippy, trippy version.  It came complete with breathy vocals, tambourines, and crooning.  The only thing it didn't have was wind chimes and rainbows. 

The song was so unrecognizable, that neither me or the cashier knew what the song was until she started in on the chorus and then we were both like  :o :o ??? :'( .

Postmodern Jukebox covered Sweet Child o' Mine in a New Orleans style and it came out amazing. I'm not sure how it would ever survive with a breathy, trippy style.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

poundcake

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »
WolfWay, Duran's cover of "White Lines" was blistering live. The covers album, however? Let us never speak of it again.  ;)

I have a deep fondness for covers, and actually have accepted the awesomeness that is The Shat into my heart. "Common People" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Rocket Man" are, look, just special, okay?!

Placebo's cover of "Running Up that Hill" is perfection.

No Doubt's cover of "It's My Life," however, is not.

blueyzca01

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
I like the song well enough when Stevie Nicks sings it, but I love love love Dixie Chicks' version of Landslide.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Coley

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 01:28:32 PM »
A couple of other favorite and obscure covers that came to mind this morning:

Spoon's version of "Me and the Bean" from their album Girls Can Tell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xRKaZFyBIA

Husker Du's cover of "Love Is All Around" (the Mary Tyler Moore show's theme song) is a classic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFyy3XB_3Y4

perpetua

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 01:55:39 PM »

I think this must the new "trend" in music for retail. Many of our songs are like this, like i described above, and sometimes you're like " i know that song" but hearing it in a completely different way and context ,you just can't figure out what it is!

To me though, that's the point of doing a cover. I really can't understand people who say "This doesn't sound anything like the original!" Isn't that the point, to put your own spin on it? Why just rehash the original, unless for a money spinner?

Someone mentioned Korn's version of Word Up - I like it, but it's pretty much a rehash of the version British rock band Gun did back in the 90s. One of my all time favourite covers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYzijRRRYxU

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2014, 02:10:52 PM »
No Doubt's cover of "It's My Life," however, is not.

Oh my goodness I forgot about that.  She screeches the whole thing. It's awful.

I think it's funny when I hear the nowadays version of a song then hear the olden-days version later.  I'm like, "Oh hey, that's a cover?"  Like when I recently heard the original "Mony Mony" on the radio - didn't seem right to sing out the "extra" lyrics like in the Billy Idol version, lol.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »
Aerosmith's version of "Come Together" makes me cringe.  To quote DS2, "That's a *Beatles* song!"

Social Distortion does a really nice "Ring of Fire."

I so badly want to love that Social Distortion cover but it sounds like Elmer Fudd to me!  :P

My favorite cover is Rocket Man(tastic) by Maynard James Keenan (Tool/Puscifer) and Steven Drozd (the Flaming Lips). It is stunningly beautiful. There's no official video but you can youtube it for lots of fan vids.

Oh, I love this. Thank you for posting about it.

Yay!!!  ;D

I made it the song for my alarm, such a nice way to wake up. My back-up alarm is the acoustic version of "Times Like These" by the Foo Fighters. I figure if I have to wake up I might as well try to enjoy it.