Author Topic: Who did a cover of WHAT song?!? s/o off Songs you hate  (Read 5044 times)

magicdomino

Re: Who did a cover of WHAT song?!? s/o off Songs you hate
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
In the "Odd But Interesting" category, we have Lesley Gore singing "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" and Devo covering "Ohio."  Lesley Gore isn't quite convincing as a hit woman for hire, but she makes it work better than you might think.  Devo's synth-heavy techno style of music gives "Ohio" a menacing edge.  I particularly like a bit at the end where they chant O-H-I-O, and the background vocals are the names of the four slain students.

A more successful techno-type cover is "In the Year 2525."  The mechancial music style suits the theme of a future dystopia.  I don't know the performers' name off-hand, though.

Guns and Roses did a great cover of "Sympathy for the Devil."  It takes talent to out-Devil Mick Jagger.   :)

Edited to add:  "In the Year 2525" as done by Visage

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:12:25 AM by magicdomino »

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »
The Lawrence Welk Show presents One Toke Over the Line.
  ;D
Lawrence Welk generally did a good job of keeping things G-rated and upbeat. He omitted all the references to war in Glen Campbell's "Galveston." The only lyrics he allowed were "Galveston, oh Galveston"; the rest was instrumental. But every now and then he'd be clueless. There's a song called "Frankfurter Sandwiches" that on the surface is about a girl who likes hot dogs and her boyfriend who buys them for her. That's how it was done on Lawrence Welk, complete with county fair setting. But it can also be interpreted as...something else.

In addition to the other mentions of celebrities who can't sing, I remember years ago hearing Telly Savalas talk-singing through Bread's "If." The lyrics are kind of bad anyway, and when they're spoken in a This Is Important voice, they're even worse.

magicdomino

« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
While poking around in my iTunes file, I remembered a memorial cover album of Warren Zevon songs, "Enjoy Every Sandwich."  Adam Sandler, of all people, does a pretty good version of "Werewolves of London," but I particularly like Bruce Springstein's version of "My Ride's Here."  Warren Zevon wrote that song when he was dying of cancer.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »
I have two oddball ones I haven't seen in here yet:

16 Horsepower's cover of Nobody 'Cept You

Peter Tatgren's cover of Elanor Rigby

Both give me shivers.

menley

« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2014, 06:29:57 AM »
Jimmy Eat World does a fabulous cover of Taylor Swift's We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFISsaafUdw

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »
 10 years ago Rush released an album called "Feedback" - covers of the songs/artists who influenced them in the '60's. It was recorded with old-school amps and production techniques, and it's a lot of fun.

High points are covers of "Crossroads", "For What It's Worth", "Heart Full of Soul" and "The Seeker", which is absolutely glorious live.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
High points are covers of "Crossroads", "For What It's Worth", "Heart Full of Soul" and "The Seeker", which is absolutely glorious live.

Seconded.  :D

poundcake

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2014, 04:27:18 PM »
A gem I'd forgotten about popped up on a playlist today: Missing Persons' cover of the Doors' "Hello, I Love You." Three words: Terry Effing Bozzio.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »
Guns and Roses did a great cover of "Sympathy for the Devil."  It takes talent to out-Devil Mick Jagger.   :)
Guns N Roses do some great cover versions.  :)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)