General Etiquette > Family and Children

Comments about age gap in children

(1/17) > >>

gmatoy:
I was reading about the comments people make to people about having all boys or girls and some one said something about people making comments about the spacing of their children. I didn't want to derail that thread so I started this one.

When my mother was still having her children, someone said something about the gap between me and my next sibling. My mother looked at her and said, "Korean conflict and my second child died."  The other woman was gasping like a fish out of water. I'll bet she never made any more comments about spacing.

When I was pregnant with my second child, people thought my 5 year gap between the two was terrible. Because you see, he was going to start school and I would be almost done!  ::)

Do you have a story? Please share how you handled it.

ClaireC79:
I know my husband said that once he was asked if he had any children and how old they were, upon hearing there is a nearly 7 year gap between 3 and 4 it was assumed he was from a different relationship

Ceallach:
Yet it also works the other way - people assuming my current pregnancy is an "oops" because my son is only 18 months old.   Doesn't seem like a particularly small gap to me, it's what I aimed for based on personal preference and much consideration, but I guess everybody has their preconceived notion of whats "normal".   

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath:
Constantly.

But the age gap was because of our infertility problems. Of which I didn't want to over share/TMI. So Been Dip was abundant. ;)

newbiePA:

--- Quote from: Ceallach on July 29, 2014, 07:22:40 AM ---Yet it also works the other way - people assuming my current pregnancy is an "oops" because my son is only 18 months old.   Doesn't seem like a particularly small gap to me, it's what I aimed for based on personal preference and much consideration, but I guess everybody has their preconceived notion of whats "normal".

--- End quote ---

Mine are 21 months apart, by choice.  It took us 2 years and major help to get pregnant with #1, and I'm no spring chicken, so we started trying when #1 was about a year old.  This time it worked right away! Surprise!  I was waiting for questions/comments, but they never came.   But that often seems the way, when you are ready for a comment, they never come ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version