Author Topic: S/O The souvenir that got away/you left behind  (Read 1859 times)

TheaterDiva1

Re: S/O The souvenir that got away/you left behind
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:14:44 AM »
I was talking earlier about a t-shirt I found in Nantucket last year. I'm a Red Sox fan living in NYC, and this shirt said "I root for two teams... The Red Sox and whoever's playing the Yankees." I've since been to Boston and Martha's Vineyard and kept seeing that shirt - and still kick myself for not buying it!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 02:29:25 AM »
Of course. It was on the Trip Where I Learned To Buy Souvenirs When You See Them And Not Wait Till "Later".

about 15 years ago, i was working in a museum and they would organize an annual trip abroad for the workers (and SO/family members). The trip was an educational trip - we went to museums, historical sites, etc. The price was pretty much all-inclusive,  was extremely subsidized for the worker, and not too expensive for the additional travelers (spouse etc) if you were bringing them along. So every year i would tell then-husband about it, and every year he would say it's too expensive or some other stupid reason, and every year i wouldn't go. Till the year i grew a spine, and told him "this year it's to turkey [and we are in israel so it's a short flight and inexpensive], the price is $ for me and $$ for you. If you want to go, let me know by [date] but *I* am going". so then-husband came along.

anyway, we were at Ephesus, amazing site, and when we entered the site there were a few kiosks selling souvenirs and we saw this adorable little belly dancer outfit that would have been perfect for my little niece as a costume. but we figured - we'll buy it on the way out, why shlep it around with us all day. oh right, because we must have exited on a different side and never saw those outfits again the rest of the trip... Twas then that i decided that i would buy souvenirs/local items when i saw them.

(funny thing about those outfits is that a few years ago i started seeing them all over the place in Israel when belly dancing became a popular sport. go figure...)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 04:19:50 AM »
A periwinkle and gold vase from a glassmaker in Venice. Vecchio Murano, I think. I didn't think I could afford it. Turns out I could have. Oh well.

A bright purple silk purse in Bellagio, Italy. I am not any sort of fashion person so said "nah" and then regretted it for the next nine months or so. Well I was back there 9 months later to visit my (now deceased) uncle who had taken a huge turn for the worse and we went to Bellagio one afternoon while he was in therapy. It was still there so I bought the purse. That was 4 years ago. I have used it once. I adore it.

There was a weaving in Guatemala I loved but I couldn't justify $90 on it. But man- it looked like an illustrated page out of the Popol Vuh or something.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 05:43:51 AM »
Definitely this kitschy, but nicely illustrated, picture of a Cat Buddha in a Lotus pose I saw in San Francisco earlier this year.  We were running to catch a bus for the Amtrak, so I only saw it in passing.  How I'd love to go back and get it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
I've learned to travel with a small, comfortable backpack.  At the beginning of the day, it is mostly empty - maybe a few snacks and some water and a jacket.  As I buy things, into the backpack they go.  The food and water get consumed and the jacket gets tied around my waist as the pack fills up.

A friend bought a purse when we were travelling.  I decided not to spend the money to get a similar one.  Many years later, she's still using her purse and I've always regretted not getting it.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Carotte

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
I'm the kind to rationalize for half an hour about needing or not needing something, and in the end, not getting it. I'd probably be the same with heaps of money to spend anyway.

I regret a nice little bag in a shop in Tokyo, 5 years after my first trip there I'll probably find one like it again next time (in the fall) but I probably won't buy it anyway  ::).

The one I really regret is one of the Japanese RailWay (or metro?) mascot (a blue platypus) keychain, dressed as a samurai. Turns out it was a special Kyoto only keychain that I didn't find on the way back (I had seen it on the trip coming into Kyoto, but not going out). 

The one I don't regret buying was a set of two keychain, two cute oranges (with a cute face of course, we're in Japan after all) that have each a magnet so that they "kiss" when you put them side by side. We were in a town known for their citrus so everything was citrus themed, not something I could have found in a nother town. I did not have a SO at that time, but I'm glad I still bought them because I got to give one of the orange to my current SO years after  :).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 09:49:24 AM »
The gorgeous golden-beaded full-collar necklace in Belize. It was stunning, but I was running short of money because I thought I would be able to get more in Belize, and didn't realize I would have no access to a bank machine. And vendors by the roadside in Belize don't take MasterCard.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 10:43:52 AM »
This one only temporarily got away. In Canada, we visited a small shop where I found a pretty charm that looked fairytale-ish. I don't remember why I didn't buy it, but I regretted it. About two years later, we vacationed there again and I went back to the store on a whim. They still have the charm! I didn't hesitate this time and it's still one of my favorite things I own.

This one I brought but still got away. In Hong Kong, I brought another charm made of a small round amethyst and a larger round rose quartz. Very simple but it really spoke to me. I hung it on my purse, but alas, it somehow fell off somewhere and I've missed it ever since.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »
At some crappy outdoor flea market in Lucca, Italy there was an awesome shirt with a design of the Leaning Tower of Pisa on it.  It was about 35 euros and a) we hadn't been to Pisa yet and I only wear shirts with stuff on them of places I've been and b) I was on a tight budget that trip and was feeling cheapskatey that day so I didn't buy it.  I kick myself now because it was so unique.

A glass pendant necklace in Murano, Venice in the Italian flag colours. I figured I'd grab one later because hey, Italian flag coloured glass necklaces must be all over the place there.  Nope, never saw another one.

The one thing I DID buy that I normally wouldn't was a purse in Salzburg, Austria. I glanced down at the doorway of a shop for some reason and there it was: a purse with the "Tournee du Chat Noir" picture on it.  Normally I don't buy frivoulous things on vacation but all I could think was "I can't not buy that."  I use it to this day and have had many compliments on it.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »
At the Great Wall of China I bought a huge cone-shaped hat (like you see in pictures of people working in rice paddies).  However, it still "got away", as by the time two months went by and we were packing to go home, there was no good way to get it home.  I left it there :(.  I did buy a much smaller blue and tan straw hat typical for Chinese women, so that compensated.

The souvenir I'm glad I bought: a copy of Mao's Little Red Book in English (later I picked one up in Chinese just because).  I'd never find that back in the U.S., obviously, so it was now or never.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
Not my story, but my mother's.

When my parents were visiting family while I was very small, they left me with Grandma and went out for a drive. They came across a local artist selling paintings and stopped for a look. Mom picked one out for my room but Dad didn't like it and (cheapskate that he was) decided $1 was too much for a painting.  The real kicker - the artist was Maud Lewis and that painting is probably worth several thousands of dollars now.
The days are long but the years are short.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »
I long ago learned that if you want it, buy it now, because you may never see it again. I ignored that precept and missed out on a gem to add to my collection that includes Pee Cola and Barf Laundry Soap.

In Kazakhstan (Central Asia) I had been told that you could find a brand of vodka with a rather unusual name. I spotted it at an outdoor market and took a picture, but figured I'd buy it later. The vodka itself no doubt would have been better suited for degreasing auto parts than for drinking, but I just wanted the bottle. Never saw it again.

Mike Tyson Vodka.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »
A quilt. We were visiting family, which was near Amish country. My family often drove out that way to buy eggs, shop (they have an amazing cheese shop! Yum!) and just enjoy the beautiful countryside. My DH (then fiance) had never been to an Amish community so we stopped at a house that had a sign offering quilts for sale. We thought it would give him a chance to see an Amish house and maybe buy something cool.

They showed us many, many quilts, but the one that we fell in love with had 50 squares. In each one was the flower, the bird and the two-letter abbreviation for each state in the US. It was gorgeous. It was also $300 and it was our last day of vacation so most of our money was gone. We did buy a pillow that is very nice, but I still think about that quilt and sometimes think I'll see if I can find another one next time I'm up that way (which is probably never going to happen since all the relatives I liked have died or moved out of that area).

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »
I was talking earlier about a t-shirt I found in Nantucket last year. I'm a Red Sox fan living in NYC, and this shirt said "I root for two teams... The Red Sox and whoever's playing the Yankees." I've since been to Boston and Martha's Vineyard and kept seeing that shirt - and still kick myself for not buying it!

I need one of these too! Red Sox fan living in NJ. and I'm from here. I just don't like the Yankees. shhhhh. I also root for the Orioles, having spent 4 years in college in Baltimore.

TOLady

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
I long ago learned that if you want it, buy it now, because you may never see it again. I ignored that precept and missed out on a gem to add to my collection that includes Pee Cola and Barf Laundry Soap.

One of my co-workers has a box of Barf on his window sill at the office. I get the giggles every time I look at it!