Author Topic: S/O The souvenir that got away/you left behind  (Read 1762 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: S/O The souvenir that got away/you left behind
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
Years ago, an antique shop in Micanopy, FL had an old framed photo of a girl who looked just like me. Mom even told me "Come look at this, she could be your twin!" It was about $45 or $50 and at the time that was more than I can afford. I never saw the picture in the shop again.

The Carr's / Safeway I used to shop at had a lovely picture behind their photo counter. It was a black and white photo of the store when it was first opened. The original staff were in spiffy uniforms, there was nothing but mountains in the background and the store was sparkly new outside. I never thought to snap my own photo of it. I wrote to Carr's this year and asked if there was a way I could pay them for a copy (or have someone email me a copy), but I never got an answer back

faithlessone

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
Crete, 2009, on holiday with my family. One of the shops in the little town where we were staying had the prettiest little stone statues. I bought one of Athena, and wanted to get the one of Artemis as well, but I only really had enough money on me for one.

The following day, I tried to find the shop again (with extra money this time!), but I couldn't remember where it was. I remember that it was on a side-street and I'd only got there by wandering, so I couldn't really retrace my steps. I found another shop with plaster statues (much cheaper but far less nice), and I did buy an Artemis there.

Both statues are still on my windowsill, but I really do regret not buying the stone Artemis. Plaster Artemis looks (to me) rather sad and cheap next to her beautifully carved stone half-sister.

Bales

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 07:13:15 PM »
I collect shot glasses, so love to purchase one when I travel.  I was at Margaritaville in Vegas in 2004 and they had white martini-glass style shot glasses and the one I picked up said "I'm the woman to blame."  Alas, I dropped it and it broke before I could buy it.  I searched through every other one (there was a whole shelf of them) and NONE of them had that same saying on it!  I bought a different one for my collection, but any time I'm in a Margaritaville I look for that one that got away and I've never found it.  I even tried eBay and looking on the Margaritaville website. 

I haven't gotten obsessed with it as I enjoy the story of the one that got away too much; I'd rather find it by chance, like at a flea market.  I'm convinced one day I will!

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 03:36:03 AM »

Stories like we read here ad to the mythos of the 'Travelling Shop', those mysterious places that are there one day and gone the next.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »
This is a story about my cousin, who learned the hard way that if you want something unique, buy it now.

One summer, she was visiting and she and I went into an antique shop. They had the most gorgeous hand-hooked rug there. Apparently, it had been made about 80 years ago by an artist whose name is still revered in the local rug-hooking community. It hadn't started life as a rug, it was actually a set of runners sewn together. Anyway, it had lovely colours and the most charming vignettes of various bird species. As you can imagine, it wasn't cheap - about $2000.

My cousin immediately fell in love. But oh, the price.

We left, and she dithered for about a week, but finally decided that she had to have it. So, we drove back to the shop.

"Oh dear," said the clerk, "a woman came in just a couple of hours ago, and bought it."

My cousin's heart was broken.

However, just before she was due to leave, we made another visit to the shop. The same clerk was on duty.

"Oh," she said, "you're the one who wanted to buy the rug. Are you still interested?"

My cousin indicated that yes, she really wanted that rug.

"Well, the original buyer changed her mind, and returned it," the clerk says. "We were just about to put it back out on display.

The rug is still in my cousin's apartment, and looks wonderful. We say they were meant to be with each other.  :)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."