Author Topic: Have you seen this? Speed limit signs . . .  (Read 1038 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Have you seen this? Speed limit signs . . .
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »
I've seen those very large, portable boxes they sometimes put up on side streets for a week or so and then they are gone. The ones with flashing lights that say "Your Speed Is:"  . . . you've seen those, right? I know it helps me slow down (even though I'm going maybe 3 mph over the posted limit.)

A couple of days ago I saw a much smaller version attached to the post of the speed limit sign. I'm thinking this is a permanent thing, which is great!

Just curious if you've seen the smaller version attached to the speed limit signs . . . is this the wave of the future?

On a side note -- when I was traveling on the tollway through construction I saw many of the larger version of "Your Speed Is:" signs, which is common. What I never saw before was when someone was (stupidly) zooming by, instead of posting the actual speed limit of the driver, red lights would go off and the sign would switch to "SLOW DOWN!"

Arila

Re: Have you seen this? Speed limit signs . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
Yes I've seen them. More frequently near schools (where the speed limit actually changes based on time of day/day of week), or on arterial streets where there are many lanes and lots of traffic --it's NOT a freeway, people! You can't do 60+mph!.

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »
Yes there are several in my town. Usually they are on streets that have had a lot of complaints about speeders.  I think they've been here for a couple of years.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:31 PM »
There is one on my street.  It is a narrow residential street, which is also the only cut-through for several miles between the major road in town, and one more minor, but still busy road.  It has helped the speeding.
Not such a newbie anymore

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:20:48 PM »
I haven't seen a permanent one that displays your speed, but I've seen a permanent one that flashes at you if you're going to fast.  Now it's going to bug me that I can't remember where it is...

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »
There's one on the side street I take to get to one of the main streets.  It goes through a residential area and is very narrow with a posted speed limit of 25 miles per hour, but if what I've seen is any indication I'm one of the few who takes that 25 miles per hour speed limit seriously. 

JoW

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »
There's a  permanent one near my office.  The speed limit goes from 55mph to 45mph near the sign.  Also, there was a horrific car accident in the area about 10 years ago.  The sign went up not long after the accident. 

The electric signs are more expensive to buy and install.  They'll never completely replace conventional signs.  But they may appear in more high-danger areas. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
If you are on Highway 60 between Springfield and Sikeston MO, you'll go through 3 towns that have them. Be especially careful as you go through Van Buren...the fine for speeding is a whopping $250.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:27 AM »
These have been popping up on the west side of Los Angeles for the last year or so. I can think of 4 or 5 offhand.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 12:52:19 AM »
The permanent kind are standard in the UK -- in London, at least.  I can think of half a dozen in the area where I live. They're  useful reminders.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
The next small town from my parents' town has a small permanent sign attached to the speed limit sign, and it has been there for years and years. The speed limit is 25mph, and the town police are vigilant!

M&D and I went on that street several times during the 2 weeks I was visiting them, and 2-3 times there was a marked police car (with a radar gun) setting near the sign just waiting.

ClaireC79

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 08:02:14 AM »
There are loads in the UK and have been for years - green numbers if you are doing speed limit or lower, red numbers if you are speeding

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:21 AM »
There are loads in the UK and have been for years - green numbers if you are doing speed limit or lower, red numbers if you are speeding
Ooooh...fancy!

We have the ordinary ones - that just show the speed in red - in Houston. There is a city-within-the-city that is a notorious speed trap and they put these up a few years ago. I was surprised they were willing to give people a head's up; that neighborhood has the cleanest streets and most well maintained sidewalks and buildings in the city off the revenue they make on traffic stops.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

jmarvellous

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 10:58:42 AM »
The school zone with one of these nearest my house seems to turn it off when school zones aren't in effect (evenings and weekends). I don't actually know the non-school zone speed there, but I'd like it if they could make it so it flashed at you if you went over the regular speed, too.

My university had some that would show your speed steadily if you were under (10 MPH!*) or flash it if you were over. That seemed effective.

*Of course, since it registered such low speeds and was in an area closed to traffic at night, there was that one time when we linked arms and ran past it repeatedly until we could make it register our above-the-limit run!

perpetua

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »

I guess it depends where you live - where I am we don't have the red or green - everything's in amber - but we *do* have smiley or sad faces depending on whether you're speeding or not :) But yeah, we've had them here for years, I can't remember a time when we didn't now.