Author Topic: Downton Abbey Exhibit at Winterthur  (Read 212 times)

Kiara

• My dragons!
Downton Abbey Exhibit at Winterthur
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:15:47 AM »
Just to keep the Special Snowflake thread from getting too cluttered....

One note, the exhibit is timed entry for all, even members.  The ticket includes a tour of the house and a garden tour.  Both are well worth taking, even though a lot isn't blooming right now, I believe.  If you take the garden tour, look to the left as you make the turn from the Library....that hill and pond were used in the film Dead Poets Society.

I've never seen Downton Abbey, and I loved the exhibit.  Plus the house is amazing - I usually go once a year.  There's two cafes on the site, although they can be a little expensive.  Buy tickets in advance....I've never seen the site this crowded, even at Christmas.

nutraxfornerves

Re: Downton Abbey Exhibit at Winterthur
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
For anyone wondering what this is about.

Costumes of Downton Abbey at Winterthur. Winterthur is a museum in wilmington, Delaware, USA. They have a special exhibition in cooperation with the company that supplied many of the costumes for Downton. These are costumes that were actually used in the series.
Costumes of Downton Abbey is an original exhibition of exquisite designs from the award-winning television series. Forty historically inspired costumes from the television show are displayed and supplemented by photographs and vignettes inspired by the fictional program and by real life at Winterthur so visitors have the chance to step into and experience the world of Downton Abbey® and the contrasting world of Winterthur founder Henry Francis du Pont and his contemporaries in the first half of the 20th century.

The exhibit will not be gong on tour, as least not for now.

I saw it last week and enjoyed it very much, even if there was a group of snowflakes hogging every display. The relative who accompanied me is a museum member and this was her 8th (!) visit.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Downton Abbey Exhibit at Winterthur
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »
Very cool! I love Winterthur. I took a class in college, back in the 80's, on decorative arts, and we took a field trip up, and had a behind the scenes tour of the conservation dept, where they "fix" and preserve everything that's there. It  was fascinating!

This looks interesting; i'm not that far; a couple of hours so I may have to try and get tehre.