Author Topic: D Smith has passed on.  (Read 2073 times)

Jones

Re: wingadingdingy Smith has passed on.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
I hope this thread turns around, into the honorific it was meant to be instead of a complaint thread.

D1ck Smith was a pioneer in his field. He worked on classics like Blythe Spirit (which I love) and Arsenic and Old Lace (saw it in high school). The Godfather, the Exorcist...it is no wonder he was given a a Lifetime Achievement Oscar.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
D. Smith worked on Arsenic and Old Lace?  Love that movie!

Mr. Sirius insists on reading the lists of all the people who work on movies at the end.  He says it's because the people who do the makeup or costumes, or do the computer editing, or make the models, etc. rarely get their own acknowledgement.  This means that we're usually the last ones out of the theater if that's where we're watching a movie.  That's how I found out that someone I was once in a writing class with worked on one of the Leslie Nielson movies (He and I had the same last name, although the names were spelled differently, so he was easy to spot.  He'd also written a few TV episodes when I met him in that class.)

Erich L-ster

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
I hope this thread turns around, into the honorific it was meant to be instead of a complaint thread.

D1ck Smith was a pioneer in his field. He worked on classics like Blythe Spirit (which I love) and Arsenic and Old Lace (saw it in high school). The Godfather, the Exorcist...it is no wonder he was given a a Lifetime Achievement Oscar.

The best start would be if a mod would remove the wingdangitydingdong from the title.

PurpleFrog

Re: D Smith has passed on.
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »
Apologies  I forgot the filter would pick up on it. I have now corrected it.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 07:36:21 PM »
When a thread is locked, coming to another thread to discuss the very same topic will not fly.

Either get back to discussing Mr Smith if you want the thread to remain unlocked.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

betty

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »
Looks like Mr Smith lived an interesting life. The techniques he used to transform actors are so interesting! I guess part of being an expert is that the viewer doesn't think, "that's make-up." Instead the audience just buys into the appearance of the character.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »
RIP Dick Smith.

One of my favorite makeup artists.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
Personally I find the filter substitutions quite humorous!

I find most of them insulting, this one in particular, as if people are giggling behind their keyboards at rude words like children. We're not children, and if Google is serving up inappropriate ads as a result of using totally normal words, perhaps it's time to look at an ad solution that's more suitable for the ethos of the forum, rather than censoring the membership with infantile phrases.

It has nothing to do with our sensibilities. It has to do with ads that are generated by our comments. I am amazed that Peter hasn't been changed, by the way.

I think that all of us eHellions should just adjust to the standards and quirks, appreciate what we are doing here, and get on with it.

D1ck. And none of us will giggle if changed in good faith. A88. Br33der.  It all works.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 11:46:25 PM »
Really?
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.