Author Topic: The Mystery Book  (Read 1837 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
The Mystery Book
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »
Ever read a book, then later decide you'd like to read it again, but you don't even have enough details to google it?

I'm in that spot right now. I keep thinking of this book I read years and years ago, it was young adult honor, kinda like Fear Street or Christopher Pike's books, but I don't think it was him. (There were billions of these books at one time, now I never see them anymore, did teens stop reading them or something?)

Anyway, what I remember of the lot is somehow our heroine ends up in the past, due to a mirror. She is living with another girl, who at first seems like a great friend, and calls her "sister", but our heroine wants to go home, and her new friend... Says she'all help, maybe? Or tries to get her to stay? Anyway eventually the heroine discovers graves, each with a strip of cloth on their cross, that says sister and her friend tries to kill her with an axe.

Also, to work the magic mirror, it has to be a full moon? I think...

It's irritating. I don't think the author ever got well known because none of the Pike or RL Stien books sound right. Sound familiar to anyone? Or anyone else have a mystery book they wanna describe and see if anyone knows it?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

gmatoy

Re: The Mystery Book
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »
I'm no help whatsoever; however, I just saw at a local thrift store a time travel book that I read years ago and loved. I almost bought it to reread, but chickened out because of the books in my house. (Potential to be the star of a book hoarders episode!) The book is The Mirror by Marilyn Millhiser. I no it isn't the one you were thinking of, but if you can not find your book, this is a great read.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
The only series I have read involving a magic mirror sending people to the past is The Magic Attic Club, which unfortunately doesn't help :( I hope some other ehellion will know what it is, because now I am curious too!

AnnaJ

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »
Could it be Stranger in the Mirror?  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/649172.Stranger_in_the_Mirror

gmatoy, loved that book!  I still think it's the best stand alone time travel romance I've read.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:56:46 PM »
Could it be Stranger in the Mirror?  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/649172.Stranger_in_the_Mirror

gmatoy, loved that book!  I still think it's the best stand alone time travel romance I've read.

I think it might be... The cover looks kinda families. I didn't remember twins though.

Gonna order it and see.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

gmatoy

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 02:34:22 AM »

I'm glad that someone else loves that book as much as I do! And I agree ^!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
I've been trying to figure out a book I mentioned in another thread, where the main character is a newly-diagnosed diabetic and also a chocoholic, and arranges with her doctor to plan her diet so that she can indulge in a chocolate treat every once in a while, only to have the hero walk in just as she's about to take a bite and eat her chocolate cupcake.  I'm not sure whether it's a romance novel or a suspense/mystery type book with a romance in it.

Marga

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 12:24:04 AM »
Usually when I try to find a book Google will get me there. But I am stumped now. As with most of my searches this is one I read as a child.
I have no idea of the author, probable British considering the setting, and I would expect female because of what I remember of the writing. It is a children's book, about a girl growing up with a female companion (governess?). The girl has vivid dreams, where she visits with a boy her age and they play together. At some point she moves, to Cornwall?, where she meets that same boy, who recognises her as well. Apparently she'd been having out of body experiences.
I also seem to remember that her companion found her love again. She had not been allowed to marry him before, because he was an atheist and she a minister's daughter, but when they met again he was a minister himself, so he was now acceptable.

Allyson

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 03:16:42 AM »
Kimblee, have you read Lois Duncan's books? Your description reminded me of some of her stuff....

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
I can't help you with the book, but your description reminded me, slightly, of a book I read many years ago. It has the time-travel element, but lacks the horror element.

Time At The Top.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 03:44:27 AM »
It's definitely not Mirror of Danger; Lucy only visits the past once or twice never lives there and there is no axe. It's a good book though.

scotcat60

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 07:08:54 AM »
Usually when I try to find a book Google will get me there. But I am stumped now. As with most of my searches this is one I read as a child.
I have no idea of the author, probable British considering the setting, and I would expect female because of what I remember of the writing. It is a children's book, about a girl growing up with a female companion (governess?). The girl has vivid dreams, where she visits with a boy her age and they play together. At some point she moves, to Cornwall?, where she meets that same boy, who recognises her as well. Apparently she'd been having out of body experiences.
I also seem to remember that her companion found her love again. She had not been allowed to marry him before, because he was an atheist and she a minister's daughter, but when they met again he was a minister himself, so he was now acceptable.

Sounds like "The Little White Horse" by Elizabeth Goudge. Maria Merryweather  goes to live in Moonacre  Manor in Devon,with her governess Miss Heliotrope who finds that Old Parson, the local viicar is her lost love, Louis de Fontenelle, and marries him. Maria meets a boy called Robin in London, and then again at Moonacre. Loveday Minette, Robins mother , marries Sir Benjamin Merryweather, Maria's guardian, and Maria eventually marries Robin, having first reconciled Monsieur Cocq de Noir and his brigands to the local people.

Published in the UK in 1946, and winner of the Library Association Canegie Medal for being "an outstanding childrens book"

Bobbie

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »

Sounds like "The Little White Horse" by Elizabeth Goudge. Maria Merryweather  goes to live in Moonacre  Manor in Devon,with her governess Miss Heliotrope who finds that Old Parson, the local viicar is her lost love, Louis de Fontenelle, and marries him. Maria meets a boy called Robin in London, and then again at Moonacre. Loveday Minette, Robins mother , marries Sir Benjamin Merryweather, Maria's guardian, and Maria eventually marries Robin, having first reconciled Monsieur Cocq de Noir and his brigands to the local people.

Published in the UK in 1946, and winner of the Library Association Canegie Medal for being "an outstanding childrens book"

They made a movie, The Secret of Moonacre, in 2008

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
No suggestions, but this is a thread we need to keep around.  I love checking back to see if there's something I suddenly remember  ;D