Author Topic: Librarians, educate me please!  (Read 1806 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Librarians, educate me please!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Yep!

JenJay, our library software doesn't record who has checked out which book after it's been returned. If you still had Homemade C-4 checked out, then they could see that, but post-return there's no record. Same with our computers- they do an automatic wipe after shutdown.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
Shelfe reading is checking that all the books on a shelfe are in correct order according to Dewey# for non-fiction and alphabetical according to author (then book title) for fiction?

And that books are correct side up, spine side out, and there are no books wrapped around other books?

And that no books got shoved behind all the others.  And that nobody has left soda, gum, love notes, candy wrappers, feminine supplies, crayons, or hazardous biological materials in strange places on the shelves.  And to remind yourself of what you have - it's amazingly helpful for when you need to put together a display later and you can say "Wait, I'm sure we had another book about lions, it just didn't have "lion" in the title . . ."

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »
^
Oh boy, you must have seen all kinds of things!

At our school library, I've just seen the spine to the back of the shelfe with at least one other book between the pages of the first book.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
When we were unpacking books after a recent move, I found a toe tag from 1950s Florida for nuclear, chemical and biological accidents. It was officially the weirdest thing I've ever found in a book.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls