Author Topic: New!#38 Is this "off" or is my opinion of the person making me think it's off?  (Read 12486 times)

Syfygeek

An "All Staff" email was sent out today from an employee. The email discussed the employee, Bob, going on a mission trip with his wife in the winter. And then asked employees that wanted to support their fund raising, to buy t shirts from him.

Bob and I are on the same work level, in that we both report directly to VP's, but Bob has a large staff that report to him, and that he is responsible for their evaluations, raises, and scheduling.

Bob and I are in different departments, but the times I've had to work with him, he was late to meetings, not prepared, and just sort of dismissive to anyone who wasn't a VP. And I don't know if it's because I'm not a big fan of Bob's and that's why I think this email is not appropriate, or if I think it's off because a manager should never try raise money from the people who work for him.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:03:04 PM by Syfygeek »
That's my purse! I don't know you!

ladymaureen

Re: Is this "off" or is my opinion of the person making me think it's off?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »
My answer is that it depends on the work culture. Do you get requests like this often? If so, employee was not out of line. If this never happens and this is sort of a one-off, I would think it was inappropriate.

I wouldn't bother complaining, just delete.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I think it's inappropriate.  I'd just delete and move on.

Amara

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »
Did the email go to everyone including the VPs? Or was it mostly to staff and same-level colleagues?

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »
My answer is that it depends on the work culture. Do you get requests like this often? If so, employee was not out of line. If this never happens and this is sort of a one-off, I would think it was inappropriate.

I wouldn't bother complaining, just delete.

I agree with this. If other people at your workplace do this for walks/runs for charitable organizations or things similar, I don't really see a problem with it. An email is a pretty non confrontational, laid-back way to ask this, too. Its not like he's walking around with a paper and pencil, asking people to sign up. It's easy enough to delete.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
If this went to people he supervised it is wrong. Many probably feel they have to support this mission. Everyone his level and above should make sure HR has this information. He should be made to return all money collected and make a formal apology to the employees.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »
It feels off to me too. I think it might be because its from him, and its for a mission. Now if it were from another employee, and it were something like "Let's do some fundraising for Bob and his Wife margaret to help them as she fights cancer" or something like that, I'd have no problem. The fact that its bob and its a "Oh help us prepare for our mission for winter" email just rubs me the wrong way.

After all, haven't there been other threads where people have asked for advice about teens going on missions and it left a bad taste in their mouth because the teen wasn't doing anything to raise the money themselves, but the parents were going around asking for donations?

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:34 AM »
I think it's not too big a deal to ask once and leave it at that.  If they pester or corner you in the lunch room or send repeated emails, then yes.  It is off.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

bloo

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 08:06:05 AM »
It feels off to me too. I think it might be because its from him, and its for a mission. Now if it were from another employee, and it were something like "Let's do some fundraising for Bob and his Wife margaret to help them as she fights cancer" or something like that, I'd have no problem. The fact that its bob and its a "Oh help us prepare for our mission for winter" email just rubs me the wrong way.

After all, haven't there been other threads where people have asked for advice about teens going on missions and it left a bad taste in their mouth because the teen wasn't doing anything to raise the money themselves, but the parents were going around asking for donations?

I think its off. Forward to HR and he shouldnt be soliciting from subordinates.

Speaking of not raising money themselves, I was walking in to Dunkin Donuts yesterday and there were these cute young girls with cans soliciting donations for their dance school. Three of them between ages 6-12. Everyone in my group put change in except me and when the girls point blank asked me to donate I simply said 'no. My son asked me why I didnt and I explained that I have a philosophical problem with parents teaching their kids to beg money from strangers to get what they want.

I said they could sell candy bars or baked goods or participate in a car wash. Earn the extra help not ask for it for free. The moms sat inside chatting and drinking coffee. I wasnt rude and only explained when asked, out of earshot.

But I am geting frustrated by the constant demands for my money. Requests, whatever you want to call it. Im sick of it and just because I can say no doesn't mean I'm not tired of regularly being put in the position of having to say it.

It may stem from the fact that it takes a lot for me to ask for help.  I fully expect to finance my own decisions. I never give thought to how I can get others to underwrite what I want. Consequently,  I go without a lot 'wants'.

And who is to know if 'mission' is really just a glorified vacation. OP's view of Bob may give her insight on that as well.

If Bob feels this is some thing he must do for his spirituality, he needs to pay for it and the workplace shouldnt be at all involved.

Alicia

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
Bringing religious beliefs into the workplace also seems off to me.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:25 AM »
Bringing religious beliefs into the workplace also seems off to me.

That, too.

We get a lot of posts here about money collections in the workplace and lots of them sound off to me in some way.  But this has the double whammy of religion and soliciting from subordinates.   It's a "Just say 'No"." occasion.

peaches

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 09:07:06 AM »
Some workplaces have a policy about solicitations of this sort and some don't.

If they have a policy and Bob is violating it, then it's not out of place for someone to mention it to HR.

If there is no policy, I'd ignore the email. I'd consider it on the order of posting a note on the bulletin board that there's an opportunity to donate to a cause, but no obligation.

Unfortunately, those who work for Bob may feel they have to participate or it will be used against them. A token contribution (say $5) might be an option for them, if management tolerates this type of solicitation.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:11:41 AM by peaches »

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »
At my workplace this would not be tolerated. Bob would get a big reprimand and a black mark in his file.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Amara

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
Speaking of not raising money themselves, I was walking in to Dunkin Donuts yesterday and there were these cute young girls with cans soliciting donations for their dance school. Three of them between ages 6-12. Everyone in my group put change in except me and when the girls point blank asked me to donate I simply said 'no. My son asked me why I didnt and I explained that I have a philosophical problem with parents teaching their kids to beg money from strangers to get what they want.

I said they could sell candy bars or baked goods or participate in a car wash. Earn the extra help not ask for it for free. The moms sat inside chatting and drinking coffee. I wasnt rude and only explained when asked, out of earshot.

But I am geting frustrated by the constant demands for my money. Requests, whatever you want to call it. Im sick of it and just because I can say no doesn't mean I'm not tired of regularly being put in the position of having to say it.

It may stem from the fact that it takes a lot for me to ask for help.  I fully expect to finance my own decisions. I never give thought to how I can get others to underwrite what I want. Consequently,  I go without a lot 'wants'.

And who is to know if 'mission' is really just a glorified vacation. OP's view of Bob may give her insight on that as well.

If Bob feels this is some thing he must do for his spirituality, he needs to pay for it and the workplace shouldnt be at all involved.

*applauds wildly*

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
 I do think its off , but how off depends on the company culture.
If its the norm to solicit from everyone from everything including religious things , then its much less off. It's always going to be a little off because no matter how many or how clear a supervisor is that there is "no pressure" there is always pressure to be obliging to supervises requests.  Then if this was the first email of its type in 50 years, wow is it off.