Author Topic: New!#38 Is this "off" or is my opinion of the person making me think it's off?  (Read 12732 times)

bah12

• Super Hero!
Re: Is this "off" or is my opinion of the person making me think it's off?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
I personally don't like any kind of personal solicitation at work.  I tend to be very black and white and about professional/personal relationships.  If you have people in your life that fall into both categories, then I still think the personal aspect needs to be kept out of work.  I get that this is difficult to do (and have a hard time with it myself), but I do not like any person soliciting money for either themselves or a child in the work environment.  I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but I would default to 'not comfortable with it.'

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:56 AM »
I personally don't like any kind of personal solicitation at work.  I tend to be very black and white and about professional/personal relationships.  If you have people in your life that fall into both categories, then I still think the personal aspect needs to be kept out of work.  I get that this is difficult to do (and have a hard time with it myself), but I do not like any person soliciting money for either themselves or a child in the work environment.  I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but I would default to 'not comfortable with it.'

I agree.  Also the religious element bothers me.  This does not belong in a secular workplace.

Jocelyn

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
What irritates me about the fundraising for mission trips, is that so often they are sent to other people who are church-goers. The message comes off as 'See what a good Christian I am? I do mission work! You should pay for my mission trip- there's obviously nothing going on at YOUR church that could possibly be as deserving of your support.'
I especially resent getting them from family members who are making substantially more money than I am.  ::) The assumption is that my own church must not be doing anything of value that I'm supporting financially, so I should be willing to pay for their church's missions. I have a friend who does frequent mission trips, and I'm happy to donate supplies for her to take to the mission for the use of the local people...but to offset her expenses? That seems a little self-serving. Maybe the person being solicited would like to go overseas on a mission trip, but can't afford it? And doesn't want to ask all his or her cousins to chip in to sent him/her?

Shea

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »
I would find it off for several reasons.

This is a personal trip that he is asking you to fund.  The fact that, during his personal trip, he plans to volunteer his time and effort in some way (whether it is handing out religious tracts or building a church hardly matters) does not negate the fact that he is effectively asking you to donate your money to support his vacation.

This is, IMO, different than supporting folks in a walk-a-thon or buying Girl Scout cookies.  I don't like either of those in a workplace and find it off-putting when a boss asks you do support these things, but at least you aren't being asked to fund someone's vacation in those.

To be honest, the fact that it is a request that people support his religion would put me off.  Religious causes, like political causes, should be off-limits for fund-raising in the workplace (barring an actual religious workplace, of course) as a general rule.  I wouldn't like it if he asked for support for a politicial party or politician either.  This has the potential to be divisive, to say the least.

He is a supervisor/manager and is putting pressure on his subordinates to use their money to support his cause.  I generally think that is out of line, no matter what cause it supports.

I agree 100%. The entire thing is off.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 03:28:02 AM »
It's probably off that he asked subordinates, who may then feel that if they don't support his cause, they will feel the repercussions in some way down the road.

In general though, although I am also weary of being asked to support various causes, I guess it's fine to let everyone know what you're doing, and "here's the link if you wish to donate." How would they know what you're trying to accomplish if you don't tell them? But, as a PP pointed out, multiple requests, cornering people in the lunchroom, FB posts that whine, "There are still people who haven't donated to my cauuuuuuuuse!!!" are off.

Also, it's more likely to inspire giving in me if the cause is not for yourself. "I'm riding my bicycle across Canada to raise money for cancer research" is a lot better than, "Can you donate for my daughter's dance school?" or "We're raising funds for a school trip to Exotic Locale."

YummyMummy66

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 06:15:39 AM »
I don't think this is something that should have been done thru the work channels.

If one person does it, than everyone will want to do it and then it becomes an issue. 

I would not want to receive a number of emails asking for money for so and so from all of my co-workers.

Syfygeek

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »
OP Here- with an update.

Bob sent out another email, reminding everyone that he still had t-shirts for sale! And if you don't want a shirt, you can donate cash.

But Wait, There's More!

Ted, one of Bob's direct reports sent out an all staff email right after that, asking for donations to MDA for their fundraising lock up. Only catch, the announcement had gone out that Ted was leaving for another position the day before.

Yep, Ted was asking for donations in advance, since he won't be employed here when the event happens.

That's my purse! I don't know you!

Arila

I am rolling my eyes so hard I think I strained something.

HannahGrace

I think if I worked in your workplace, I would create a rule in Outlook to send all emails containing the words "donation" and "charity" to the deleted items folder.  I'm only half-kidding.  What a mess!

Specky

As Onslow used to say, "Oh, nice."

mimi_cat

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 06:39:17 PM »
OP Here- with an update.

Bob sent out another email, reminding everyone that he still had t-shirts for sale! And if you don't want a shirt, you can donate cash.

But Wait, There's More!

Ted, one of Bob's direct reports sent out an all staff email right after that, asking for donations to MDA for their fundraising lock up. Only catch, the announcement had gone out that Ted was leaving for another position the day before.

Yep, Ted was asking for donations in advance, since he won't be employed here when the event happens.

Hey, if it works for Bob.....this is exactly why many companies I have worked at have policies against soliciting, no matter what the cause.  Either someone doesn't like the cause, or someone is way too pushy about it.

laughtermed

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 10:50:02 PM »

This.  The boss's actions are 100% unacceptable. I was surprised to hear a local etiquette expert recommending as one of the essentials a professional should keep on hand in their office was "extra cash for coworker fundraisers". An entry level employee just can't afford to do this and supervisors on up should not do fundraisers to avoid favoritism. I would just hate to have some coworker think "If I don't give anything to Boss's fundraiser, I'm either going to get in trouble and not get ahead in this place".

It's too bad that the people who participate in the most interesting charitable endeavors don't mention it-they are too modest to ask other people for anything.

greencat

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »

This.  The boss's actions are 100% unacceptable. I was surprised to hear a local etiquette expert recommending as one of the essentials a professional should keep on hand in their office was "extra cash for coworker fundraisers". An entry level employee just can't afford to do this and supervisors on up should not do fundraisers to avoid favoritism. I would just hate to have some coworker think "If I don't give anything to Boss's fundraiser, I'm either going to get in trouble and not get ahead in this place".

It's too bad that the people who participate in the most interesting charitable endeavors don't mention it-they are too modest to ask other people for anything.

Perhaps the "coworker fundraiser" the 'expert' was referring to is the collection of money for those who have encountered a hard time, such as a death in the family or a serious illness? 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!

I think its off. Forward to HR and he shouldnt be soliciting from subordinates.

Speaking of not raising money themselves, I was walking in to Dunkin Donuts yesterday and there were these cute young girls with cans soliciting donations for their dance school. Three of them between ages 6-12. Everyone in my group put change in except me and when the girls point blank asked me to donate I simply said 'no. My son asked me why I didnt and I explained that I have a philosophical problem with parents teaching their kids to beg money from strangers to get what they want.

I said they could sell candy bars or baked goods or participate in a car wash. Earn the extra help not ask for it for free. The moms sat inside chatting and drinking coffee. I wasnt rude and only explained when asked, out of earshot.

But I am geting frustrated by the constant demands for my money. Requests, whatever you want to call it. Im sick of it and just because I can say no doesn't mean I'm not tired of regularly being put in the position of having to say it.

It may stem from the fact that it takes a lot for me to ask for help.  I fully expect to finance my own decisions. I never give thought to how I can get others to underwrite what I want. Consequently,  I go without a lot 'wants'.

And who is to know if 'mission' is really just a glorified vacation. OP's view of Bob may give her insight on that as well.

If Bob feels this is some thing he must do for his spirituality, he needs to pay for it and the workplace shouldnt be at all involved.

About the dance school - In the future - take a picture and forward it to the school. A few years ago I went shopping. Every time I turned around some kid was asking me for money. I had it.

I pulled into a parking lot and called the cops on a baseball team that was having kids 4th - 6th grade kids panhandle in  heavy traffic at an intersection of a 7 lane FM road and a 7 lane State Highway. (Speed limit 45 mph and 50 mph)

Then I went home and sent strongly worded e-mails to the organizations that were panhandling in parking lots and the corporations that were allowing it. I included the explicit language directed at me when I said no. Each organization was shocked that the kids were panhandling - the parents were supposed to pay the fees.

Near as the school district could figure out one teacher had made a sarcastic remark to a student along the lines it isn't my problem go stand in front of Target with a tin can and ask for money.The remark was taken seriously. Once the school district found out they made it clear that raising money this way would result in the person being banned from all extra curricular activities.

The corporations were shocked at the language but also felt they had to support the school kids. I sent them the memo from the district forbidding this type of fundraising.

I still call the cops on sports teams panhandling at that intersection every few months.

Which is why VorGuy's students have a car wash once a semester.  or sell discount cards for participating local restaurants or other businesses that they have contacted & have arranged to be on the discount program.  Or have a garage sale...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
The only fundraiser ever conducted at work that wasn't the twice a year whole university drive was for a friend and colleague that had a house fire and lost everything. We gave money to pay for the immediate housing and clothing needs for her and her family as an insurance claim takes a long time.