Author Topic: New!#38 Is this "off" or is my opinion of the person making me think it's off?  (Read 12840 times)

Coralreef

It seems off to me too.  First because it's a boss asking lower paid employees. Second, it's a religious thing.  If the employees / coworkers are not of the same religion, that could cause problems.

[/right

miranova

This is just not done at my workplace, ever.  The closest thing to solicitations are department emails saying "hey let's get Sally something for her upcoming baby" or "Bob is out of PTO due to his extended illness, let's all donate a PTO day to him".  And there is no pressure or follow up of any kind, and no repercussions if you don't participate.  This kind of thing is ok to me because 1) it benefits someone I know and potentially care about and 2) it's always someone other than the recipient making the request.  Anything other than that kind of thing doesn't belong at work, in my opinion. 

bopper

• Super Hero!
We might do a "i am selling girl scout cookies if anyone is interested. THere is a sign up sheet on my door."

And that is it. No pressure.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Is this "off" or is my opinion of the person making me think it's off?
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »
Bringing religious beliefs into the workplace also seems off to me.

ITA

knitwicca

Misha412 wrote
And bringing religious events into the workplace is always inappropriate to me, unless the business itself is religious in nature or sells religious-based products/services. It is one thing to privately mention you are going on a missionary trip to some of your co-workers. But, sending out a company wide email about it with a solicitation for funding?? Not appropriate.

Imagine my shock when the CEO of a company which had recently taken over my contract called a mandatory all-hands meeting that she began with a very religious-specific prayer. On a federal site.
Then did not end the meeting until she had done so a second time.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Is this "off" or is my opinion of the person making me think it's off?
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
I would find it off for several reasons.

This is a personal trip that he is asking you to fund.  The fact that, during his personal trip, he plans to volunteer his time and effort in some way (whether it is handing out religious tracts or building a church hardly matters) does not negate the fact that he is effectively asking you to donate your money to support his vacation.

This is, IMO, different than supporting folks in a walk-a-thon or buying Girl Scout cookies.  I don't like either of those in a workplace and find it off-putting when a boss asks you do support these things, but at least you aren't being asked to fund someone's vacation in those.

To be honest, the fact that it is a request that people support his religion would put me off.  Religious causes, like political causes, should be off-limits for fund-raising in the workplace (barring an actual religious workplace, of course) as a general rule.  I wouldn't like it if he asked for support for a politicial party or politician either.  This has the potential to be divisive, to say the least.

He is a supervisor/manager and is putting pressure on his subordinates to use their money to support his cause.  I generally think that is out of line, no matter what cause it supports.

Yeah, this is just loaded with fail all the way around. Makes me glad my office doesn't permit any kind of fundraising. The closest that's been allowed was that we could donate PTO to a coworker whose spouse had a massive stroke so he could be at the hospital with her, and that was only once in all the time I've been here.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Misha412 wrote
And bringing religious events into the workplace is always inappropriate to me, unless the business itself is religious in nature or sells religious-based products/services. It is one thing to privately mention you are going on a missionary trip to some of your co-workers. But, sending out a company wide email about it with a solicitation for funding?? Not appropriate.

Imagine my shock when the CEO of a company which had recently taken over my contract called a mandatory all-hands meeting that she began with a very religious-specific prayer. On a federal site.
Then did not end the meeting until she had done so a second time.

I work for the state. We have many different offices, some central, and some scattered around the area. One site's director made a unilateral decision that no alcohol or lottery tickets could be brought for the gift exchange conducted by employees because of her personal religious beliefs about them. This did not go over well.