News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 08:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?  (Read 19271 times)

Army Mom

A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
DS will be getting married in slightly more than six weeks.  Great!  We are very happy! 

But the problem is that this was just decided two days ago!  Ack! Please help me EHell !!

They have already decided it will be "casual and non-traditional" so that is a big help.  While they will (this week) send invitations, as much as possible will be done online.  Can anyone recommend a good website to use for RSVPs and information?  I'm thinking a map, local info, maybe some pictures, maybe registry link etc.  The only one that I've seen is The Knot and I'm sure there are lots more.   They have done a Facebook "save the date" already.

The reception will be outdoors, weather permitting.  I'm strongly encouraging them to have a back up plan in case of rain.  We are providing the meat for a BBQ so I need ideas for sides please? 

Their budget is tiny so if anyone has economical decoration ideas, that would be greatly appreciated also.  (also wine, I need lots of wine at this point)

lowspark

Re: A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »
The only question I can answer is the wine. If you have Trader Joe's in your area, go there. Lots of inexpensive wine choices there in the $5-10 range that are very good, not to mention the three buck chuck.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

HannahGrace

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »
Weddingwire has a good website builder that allows for RSVPs - it is easy to use, you can integrate maps and such, there's a default tab for photos... I built ours in an afternoon when I was recovering from surgery; it was easy enough to do it on high doses of opiates so I'm sure a non-impaired person would have no trouble.

cicero

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
Wow! Congrats!
First check out the hells bells section here o ehell, there are some ideas/quantities for diy weddings.

For food: go with simple/hardy/ makeable in advance. Things like:
Cabbage salad
Baked beans
Pasta salad
Corn relish
Three bean salad
Deviled eggs if you have the facility for storing/serving safely
Breads, spreads pickles/olives

You can grill up veggies before you start the meat for a pretty and easy side - they can be served at room tem

Who will be grilling? If possible. Please hire 1-3 kids who will help out

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gellchom

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »
Congratulations!

Very important question: how many people?

That, in my experience, is a much more important factor than formality.  You can get something nice together and even do it yourselves for under 40 people.

But if you are thinking of a lot more than that, please don't try to do everything yourselves.  It's just too much.  If possible, use a caterer.  If not, at least hire people to prepare, serve, and clean up, even if you order the food from the supermarket or make it yourselves way ahead.  This is your child's wedding day; you don't want to spend it running around picking up dirty plates and cups and replenishing serving dishes.

Yes, of course you need a backup plan in case of bad weather.

z_squared82

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
The only question I can answer is the wine. If you have Trader Joe's in your area, go there. Lots of inexpensive wine choices there in the $5-10 range that are very good, not to mention the three buck chuck.

Additionally, consider boxed wine if people will be serving themselves from a drink station or if there will be a bar tender. If people are wondering around refilling glasses, boxed wine will be hard to tote.

Boxed wine gets a bad rep, but it has vastly improved in recent years. And think about it -- no possibility of broken bottles. (And depending on where "outdoors" is, there might be a rule against bringing glass anyway.)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »
I gotta ask - where are your son and his fiancee in all this? They want to get married in 6 weeks so most of this should fall on their shoulders, not yours.

TurtleDove

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
I gotta ask - where are your son and his fiancee in all this? They want to get married in 6 weeks so most of this should fall on their shoulders, not yours.

Yep.  I got married six weeks after I became engaged, and it was no trouble getting everything together.  But then I only had 23 people in attendance, all immediate family, with no attendants, and an "in" with the chapel and pastor and reception venue (a nearby restaurant for brunch).  OP, you didn't say why this marriage is happening so quickly, but it could be that the HC themselves don't really care that much about the "party" aspects.

Deetee

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »
It's better to not think of it as a "wedding" (with all associated perfect day baggage) but instead as a party.

I agree with the previous poster who said the number of guests is the important part. You can self cater up to 50 people, but beyond that you will need help (maybe hire a caterer or at least a few servers.)

My mom can put together parties with an amazing amount of calmness. She threw a fantastic dinner party for 26 people plus 3 babies last weekend and two hours before the party was to start had time to clean the cutlery drawer. So I'll pass on her approach that I try and fail to emulate.

Menu
Cold Poached Salmon with creamy dill sauce
Cold Roast Turkey with fresh peach salsa
(Both warm to room temperature for serving)
Solid/vineger based Salads -She had four of amazing hues and variety, Three were brought by a friend.
Potato salad

Desert-bought the cakes

Appetizers- Chips-two huge bowls and Dips-homemade and delicious

This avoids anything that needs to be cooked or tended at the last minute and that saves you an amazing amount of hassle.  The turkey and salmon were cooked one and two days before.

For my wedding (120 guests, I had my mom organise the whole thing. She had caterers for that, though she still cooked parts of it.

Army Mom

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »

They are both heavily involved but have asked DH & I and STB DIL's parents to help, which we are all very willing to do. 

I'm getting some great ideas here, thank you! 

AnaMaria

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »
I'm hoping for a short engagement someday- I'm 28 right now and when I meet the man I want to marry, I just want to get our lives started as husband and wife, not sit around trying to plan one perfect day. 

appycouple.com is another great site for organizing RSVPs and invitations.  Also, for N/A beverages, buying a bunch of 24 packs of sodas or canned juices and then putting them on ice is a lot quicker and easier than trying to pour big jugs or bottles into individual cups.  Best wishes to the bride and groom!!

Army Mom

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
I am feeling a little stressed. I may need to conduct some protracted wine tastings. It would be rude to serve wine that I couldn't vouch for, right?

daen

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
^^Absolutely.  I would even say that exhaustive wine tastings are called for.

You may also wish to run similarly detailed taste-testing on chocolate, in case the couple decides that favours are important. (I wonder if one could get away with filling a bowl on each table with wrapped chocolate as a centerpiece, and providing little cups for people to scoop up some to take home as a favour? Two in one!)

CakeEater

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 10:16:43 PM »
Bunting and tulle decorations can be pretty cheap. If they can get some cheap fabric, cut it into triangles and pin it onto string, it can be strung everywhere. Tulle can be bunched and hung everywhere as well. You can buy pre-cut rolls that you can hang in strips from everything.

I catered our son's baptism for 60 people at our house. Oven space, fridge space, and toilets are things that can be an issue when you have lots of people at your house. Make sure there's at least two toilets available, in case something happens with one, and make sure there's plenty of spare toilet paper, and spare hand towels somewhere easy to find.

kareng57

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
If you're in a town large enough to have a party-rental business, I would strongly recommend renting plates, cutlery and glassware.  I was surprised as to how low the cost was (this was a Burns Dinner party at our home for about 40 people).  You don't even have to wash them before returning them - in fact, if you did, they would just do it again because they have to have the same wash-facilities as restaurants to satisfy health regulations.

But overall I agree with PPs - self-catering when there are more than 50 guests can get pretty problematic.