News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 12:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?  (Read 19267 times)

Library Dragon

Re: A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »
It is possible.  We assisted in putting DS2's together in 8 weeks.

One inexpensive wine I can vouch for is Flip Flop.  When I bought it for a party the price was 2 for $6.99.  DH tends to be a wine snob and he declare it drinkable.  The Moscato is great for the sweet wine drinkers.

Costco or Sam's Club can be your friend.  The cheese is reasonable and baked cheese slices are super simple, but folks praise them.

If you can afford to high one person to be your runner/eyes it will make your life at the reception much more enjoyable.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Margo

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 06:09:04 AM »
I'm not sure whether it's available where you are, here (UK) most of the big supermarkets offer wine glass rental and you can often get wine on a sale-or-return basis, if you want.

In terms of decoration, for my sister's wedding, we got a roll of banquetting roll (white) for the tables, and she bought some very cheap gauze to use as table runners - we fixed it by taping it to the undersides of the ends of the tables which stops it trying to roll up again, reduces the chance of it getting pulled out of place. We then scattered confetti on the tables and had vases with a single gerbera. In her case, she used my collection of blue glass (bottles of vases in different shapes and sizes) which normally lives on my kitchen window sill, as the vases, but you could equally well use an clean bottles or vases, or even jam jars.

Food - aim for things which can be prepared ahead of time and just brought out.

We got a local lady who did the catering, helped by 3 students from the local college. They passed around champagne and nibbles when we first arrived from the church, and then the main meal was a buffet with the caterer serving, and consisted of cold roast  beef, chicken and ham, mini quiches, and 3 or 4 types of salad, plus a big cheese board and bread rolls. The only hot food was new potatoes.

If you are going to do it all yourselves, then think o things which you can prepare the day before, and which you can then lay out on plates and store in the fridge or in cooolers so that you literally just need to put the platters on the tables/buffet and take the clingfilm off them, to serve.

You could also heck out whether there are any mobile vans which offer an even service - A friend of mine talked to traders at her local farmer's market and ended up with a chap with a van serving fancy sausages and burgers. He routinely had a variety of coleslaws and other dressings, and she said it worked out to be cheaper than when they had been costing up buying meat and doing their own BBQ. They added a table and made a couple of huge bowls of green salad and that was it.

I'd go for large quantities of a small number of different foods, rather than trying to achieve masses of variety.  It's much simpler, and if you are serving things buffet style you can have several identical tables and people will not have to crowd/queue so much.

It's also worth checking out whether local restuarants offer any kind of outside catering or takeaway options, you may find it is cheaper than you think (is the wedding at a weekend, or midweek? If it is midweek, you may find you get get some really good deals )

Jones

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 07:24:21 AM »
OP this is absolutely doable. It is in fact the common thing in my family; we decide to marry, then we marry.
The couple probably have a good idea what they want and where. They may be like me and realize flexibility is needed--this will not be an obsessive fairy tale day.

I told the florist my colors and favorite flowers, left all designing up to her.
I picked a cake top and left the rest of the cakery up to the bakers.
It was a mid afternoon affair so we had deli trays, rolls, fruit, cookies and so forth. Did I stress about types of cheese or meat? No.
Mom and I found some clear, plastic disposable plates and cups with etched designs at the grocery. There are also nicely designed disposable cutlery.
We also had a dry wedding with tons of non alcoholic sparkly juices. Welch's makes some fine beverages in tall glass bottles. Don't know if that would work for you but it was great for me as I was 18 and legal drinking age here is 21.

Good luck! Don't stress and you will have it well in hand.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

Oh Joy

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
My only recommendation is that - prior to determining your menu - you lock down what kind of seating you'll have and what kind of dishes and silverware.  If guests will be perching or standing, or using disposable plates and cutlery, choose dishes that will be easy to eat without cutting or pushing strongly into.

gellchom

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
Army Mom, roughly how many people do you think you will have? 

Our advice for 50 is going to be very different from our advice for 200.

Army Mom

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »
I'm told approx 100 adults, plus kids.  We will have banquet tables and folding chairs so the seating should be fine.

Seating brings up another question:  For the ceremony itself (outside, rural mid-west US) they plan to have hay bales lined up as sort of bench seating.  I'm thinking about draping them with fabric for comfort.  Nobody wants to get poked in the rear during the ceremony, least of all me!  Opinions/ideas for decorating hay bales?

I hadn't thought about dishes/silverware types.  Off to do more research!!

Jones

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »
Yes to putting something over the hay bales!

You never know if someone will come dressed more nicely than the requested "casual".

I did a quick Google search "covering hay bales for seating" and loads of cute pictured popped up.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

CakeEater

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
For 100+ people, you really need to hire a few someones to serve and clear. You (all the parents of the couple) don't want to be serving and clearing after 100 people.

Oh Joy

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
Seating brings up another question:  For the ceremony itself (outside, rural mid-west US) they plan to have hay bales lined up as sort of bench seating.  I'm thinking about draping them with fabric for comfort.  Nobody wants to get poked in the rear during the ceremony, least of all me!  Opinions/ideas for decorating hay bales?

Hate to rain on the parade, but I've found hay bales to be a beautiful and romantic idea that lose a lot in execution.  They're more expensive and heavier to haul and place than rental chairs, and rather uncomfortable to sit on...even if you've gone through the planning, preparation, cost, placement, removal, and disposal of covers for them.  For a hundred people.  It seems like it would be cheap and easy, but...

Army Mom

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
Oh yes, hay is heavy but we need hay for the winter anyway so the cattle will be happy to "recycle" them for us ;)

Margo

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 05:41:15 AM »
for covering the bales - do you have local friends who might be willing to lend spare rugs?

I would guess that enough fabric of any kind to cover bales suffcient to seat 100 will start to get a bit pricey.

Are all of the guests likely to be driving? In my family you could probably say to everyone "seating will be on hay bales - please bring a cushion or picnic rug with you to avoid prickles!" and it would work, but that is very much a 'know your audience' thing, and of course you wouldn't have a decorative look.

I agree that with 100 guests doing all the ctering youselves will be a massive amount of work. That's about the number we had for my sister's wedding - we (immediate families) did all the work to decorate the hall for the reception, set out the tables and decorate them etc (which as the reception was indoors we did the day before the wedding,with a few small touches in the morning)

The flowers for the church were done on the basis that we provided the flowers (so got to chose the colours) and then the church ladies did the arrangements and the flowers remained in the church for that week. My sister bought loose flowers and we made the bouquets for the bride and bridesmaids ourselves (again, done the night before).

depending on your budget, and your community i may be worth making enquiries - is there a local community college which runs courses on catering/ food prep etc? If so, this might be a less expensive option than a professional caterer.

Oh Joy

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 07:27:14 AM »
Oh yes, hay is heavy but we need hay for the winter anyway so the cattle will be happy to "recycle" them for us ;)

Awesome.

justme2

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 06:00:37 AM »
For the menu I would keep it pretty simple. Maybe bake a few hams and slice them down.  Order chicken from your local grocery store (our local grocery store makes some awesome chicken). For sides I would do parsley new potatoes, pasta salad, garden salad and a few veggies. Unless you have a way to keep mayo based salads cold, I wouldn't do them.

For the center pieces, have you priced out potted flowers at your local home improvement store? You can dress up the pots with a little bit of fabric.

Six weeks is very doable. My dh and I did it. We went from a courthouse wedding to a church wedding with a 140 people banquet reception with a dj in 5 weeks. Our family and I did it all from the food to the decorations. It was by no means fancy, but we are not fancy people. After 22 years people still say they had the best time and had the best food at our wedding.

cicero

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Easy and cheap affordable centerpieces: glass bowls or giant brandy glasses ( get at a craft store or dollar store), fill with pebbles or marbles ( available at same places). Then add water and a floating candle.

Or do what my cousin did - fill huge bowls with M&Ms ;D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Army Mom

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Easy and cheap affordable centerpieces: glass bowls or giant brandy glasses ( get at a craft store or dollar store), fill with pebbles or marbles ( available at same places). Then add water and a floating candle.

Or do what my cousin did - fill huge bowls with M&Ms ;D
Great idea! Especially the chocolate part because I will NEED chocolate and wine and then more wine